Sign in to follow this  
Spin Doctor

Judge Jules @ Gatecrasher Boxing Day, Sheffield (26 Dec 2016)

Recommended Posts

Based on his last performance at Gatecrasher (link) I have decided to attend GC's Boxing day tonight.

 

Jules is playing the closing set 0430-0600.  I will attempt to come back with a track lists and some videos.

 

If anyone else from the board is attending, please do let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A complete tracklist would be really appreciated! Video snippets, even better :)

 

That's quite a late set so hope you're having a mini siesta now to get you naturally to the end! Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judge Jules @ Gatecrasher Boxing Day

0445-0600

 

01. Mauro Picotto - Save A Soul (Megavoices Claxixx Mix)

02. Jonah - Sssst... (Listen) (Original Mix)

03. DJ Tiesto - Traffic (Original Mix)

04. Dial M For Moguai - Beatbox (Knuckleheadz Remix)

05. Ariel - A9 (Original Mix)

06. Hi-Gate - Caned & Unable

07. Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix)

08. Kristine Blond - Loveshy (Electriqe Boutique Remix)

09. Freefall feat. Jan Johnston - Skydive

10. Slusnik Luna - Sun

11. Blank & Jones - Cream

12. Mauro Picotto - Iguana (Megavoices Mix)

13. Cosmic Gate - Firewire

14. Mauro Damagio - I'm Damaged (Lizarazu Mix)

15. Joy Kitikonti - Joyenergizer (Psico Mix)

16. DJ Sakin & Friends - Protect Your Mind (Braveheart) (Lange Remix)

17. Southside Spinners - Luvstruck (Original Mix)

 

Encore

18. Delerium - Silence (DJ Tiesto Remix)

 

Some reflections on was another superb event from Gatecrasher this year. The majority of our time was spent in the main room with a few forays into the upstairs, Vinyl only area where I was treated to Sasha - Xander.  Late to get going, as the crowd didn't really turn up until around 2300, Oliver Lieb played to a basically empty main room. Scott Bond's Wet set was predictable in its tune selection, but did not disappoint in the slightest. Solar Stone was underwhelming and should have been booked prior to Bond to provide the night with a better progression.  Aly & Fila, though not quite playing a 23 Years of GC set did an excellent job of building the energy of the night again with Eye of Horus being a particular highlight along with Ralphie B - Massive. The Thrillseekers stole the show next with too many classics to remember, including Veracocha - Carte Blanche and Barber's Adagio For Strings. Spirits were high at the front of the club with may shared memories returning. Finally Jules. Of the two classics sets I've seen him play one was a huge miss (GC Birmingham in I think 2012) and the last a show stealer (GC 23rd Birthday 2016); last night I am pleased to report he delivered another outstanding performance. He completely understood the tone and atmosphere of the night, providing some iconic tunage with sound mixing. While it's easy to feel a bit disappointed with Jules musically these days last night he demonstrated why he was at the top of his game from the late 90s to mid 2000s and why GC were right to keep him on as a resident DJ.

 

Tune of the night for me was either Eye of Horus or Carte Blanche.

 

I have some videos I'll upload later. I am investigating video editing software at the moment so I can do a proper job on YouTube with them; any suggestions would be welcome. The lazers were also STUNNING.

P1000808.JPG

P1000778.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and how many "Put your hands up in the AIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR" jingles this time?! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic review Spin Doctor. Did you take note of any other DJ tracklists from that night? Would love to know any of them....Scott Bond, Solarstone, Aly & Fila, Thrillseekers etc :) . I see that Rich Solarstone started with 3rd Earth and I'm guessing he ended with Solarstone - 7 Cities? Here's an extremely rough tracklisting in no particular order based on all that I could find.

 

Oliver Lieb

 

Unknown

 

Scott Bond

 

DJ Albert - 4G

Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix)

Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (Signum Remix)

Vimana - We Came

Crazy Malamute - Free To Ride (U.B.I.'s Fat Tire Mix)

Chicane - Saltwater (Tomski vs Disco Citizens remix)

The Generator - Where Are You Now? (Moonman Remix)

Matt Darey ft. Marcella Woods - Liberation (Fly Like An Angel) (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Jupiter - Her Desire

 

Solarstone

 

Scott Bond vs Solarstone - 3rd Earth (Intro Mix)

Solarstone - Solarcoaster

Scott Bond vs Solarstone - Naked Angel

Lemon - We Can't Fly (Solarstone Pure Mix)

Solarstone - Seven Cities

 

Aly & Fila

 

Klea - Tic Tok (Magik Muzik Remix)

Yahel - Voyage (ID Mix)

Kuffdam & Planet - Summer Dream (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)

Perpetual Dreamer - The Sound of Goodbye

Perasma - Swing 2 Harmony

FKN ft. Jahala - Why? (Aly & Fila Mix)

Aly & Fila - Eye of Horus

Matt Hardwick vs. Smith & Pledger - Day One (Above & Beyond Remix)

P.O.S. - Remember (Summer Sun)

Ralphie B - Massive

Saltwater - The Legacy (Alphazone Remix)

Rapid Eye - Circa Forever (Aly & Fila Remix)

Deems - Tears Of Hope (Aly & Fila Remix)

Moonman - Galaxia (Aly & Fila Remix)

Aly & Fila - Uraeus

Vast Vision - Everything (Aly & Fila Remix)

Young Parisians ft. Ben Lost - Jump The Next Train

 

Thrillseekers

 

Sinead O'Connor - Troy (Push Remix)

Ascension - Someone (Thrillseekers Remix)

Eon - Pocket Damage

BT - Flaming June

Veracocha - Carte Blanche

4 Strings - Take Me Away

Liquid Child - Diving Faces (Club Mix) think it was played by Thrillseekers?

Rhythm of Life - You Put Me in Heaven with Your Touch (Thrillseekers Remix) possibly?

William Orbit - Barbers Adagio For Strings (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Push - Universal Nation (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Thrillseekers - Synaesthesia more than likely

Chicane - Saltwater not sure of the remix

Hydra - Amber (Skylex Remix)

 

Judge Jules

 

01. Mauro Picotto - Save A Soul (Megavoices Claxixx Mix)

02. Jonah - Sssst... (Listen) (Original Mix)

03. DJ Tiesto - Traffic (Original Mix)

04. Dial M For Moguai - Beatbox (Knuckleheadz Remix)

05. Ariel - A9 (Original Mix)

06. Hi-Gate - Caned & Unable

07. Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix)

08. Kristine Blond - Loveshy (Electriqe Boutique Remix)

09. Freefall feat. Jan Johnston - Skydive

10. Slusnik Luna - Sun

11. Blank & Jones - Cream

12. Mauro Picotto - Iguana (Megavoices Mix)

13. Cosmic Gate - Firewire

14. Mauro Damagio - I'm Damaged (Lizarazu Mix)

15. Joy Kitikonti - Joyenergizer (Psico Mix)

16. DJ Sakin & Friends - Protect Your Mind (Braveheart) (Lange Remix)

17. Southside Spinners - Luvstruck (Original Mix)

 

Encore

 

18. Delerium - Silence (DJ Tiesto Remix)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jivemaster said:

 I see that Rich Solarstone started with 3rd Earth and I'm guessing he ended with Solarstone - 7 Cities?

 

I love 3rd Earth, a brilliant track. The choir vocals are actually lifted (with permission) from a recording of John Tavener's "The Lamb", which I sung a few times when I was a wee lad!! The words start "little lamb who made thee"...

 

Armin also played a promo version of this in his (best) R1 Essential Mix in 2003 which, if you listen carefully, has an extra 8 bars of build after the breakdown has finished. I have no idea why they trimmed that out for the final release. I'd pay loads if anyone has a copy.

 

I'll go fetch my anorak now -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neuro said:

 

I love 3rd Earth, a brilliant track. The choir vocals are actually lifted (with permission) from a recording of John Tavener's "The Lamb", which I sung a few times when I was a wee lad!! The words start "little lamb who made thee"...

 

Armin also played a promo version of this in his (best) R1 Essential Mix in 2003 which, if you listen carefully, has an extra 8 bars of build after the breakdown has finished. I have no idea why they trimmed that out for the final release. I'd pay loads if anyone has a copy.

 

I'll go fetch my anorak now -_-

 

Hahaha.....yes Armin was certainly the first to promo this on the Essential Mix and the reason it was called 3rd Earth was because it took 3 years to make! Updated above with all the tunage I could find.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jivemaster, I didn't take full tracklists for the other DJs. I felt it my duty to take one for Jules as a board member. Looking back I wish I had done more though. I would have been able to get Bond's 100%, Thrilseekers 90% and Ali & Fila probably 50%. I have a feeling that Matt Darey will be booked for the next one so I will make sure I try harder for the TLs. However, here are some additional tunes and comments from recollection:

Scott Bond
The Morighan - Remember (To The Millennium) (Lange Mix).  This sounded OUTSTANDING front centre of the club was second tune in I think.
The Generators - Where Are You Now? (Moonman Mix)
Vimana - We Came
Cygnus X - The Orange Theme
Mauro Picotto - Pulsar
Dumonde - Tomorrow
Matt Darey ft. Marcella Woods - Liberation (Fly Like An Angel) (Ferry Corsten Remix). Again, the sound system really did this justice.
Salt Tank - Peublo Blanco

Aly & Fila
I haven't been a massive fan of their to be honest, dismissing them as a new-ish breed of Trance producer and only liking the odd tune here and there.  However, really they made it big in the mid-2000s so not new-breed at all.  Some great tuneage and I will deffo keep an eye out for this pair again.

Thrillseekers
Push - Universal Nation (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Chicane - Saltwater (Tomski vs Disco Citizens remix)

Edited by Spin Doctor
Additional tunes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spin Doctor said:

Jivemaster, I didn't take full tracklists for the other DJs. I felt it my duty to take one for Jules as a board member. Looking back I wish I had done more though. I would have been able to get Bond's 100%, Thrilseekers 90% and Ali & Fila probably 50%. I have a feeling that Matt Darey will be booked for the next one so I will make sure I try harder for the TLs. However, here are some additional tunes and comments from recollection:

Scott Bond
The Morighan - Remember (To The Millennium) (Lange Mix).  This sounded OUTSTANDING front centre of the club was second tune in I think.
The Generators - Where Are You Now? (Moonman Mix)
Vimana - We Came
Cygnus X - The Orange Theme
Mauro Picotto - Pulsar
Dumonde - Tomorrow
Matt Darey ft. Marcella Woods - Liberation (Fly Like An Angel) (Ferry Corsten Remix). Again, the sound system really did this justice.
Salt Tank - Peublo Blanco

Aly & Fila
I haven't been a massive fan of their to be honest, dismissing them as a new-ish breed of Trance producer and only liking the odd tune here and there.  However, really they made it big in the mid-2000s so not new-breed at all.  Some great tuneage and I will deffo keep an eye out for this pair again.

Thrillseekers
Push - Universal Nation (Ferry Corsten Remix)
 

 

You did such a stellar job with Jules's set and I can tell that you enjoy Bondy's sets :). Only thing is, I don't think Scott Bond played is Salt Tank - Pueblo Blanco but correct me if I'm wrong - video clips always help here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Spin Doctor said:

 

09. Freefall feat. Jan Johnston - Skydive

 

 

Delighted to see Jules play this. I've only heard this twice before in a club - once was Matt Hardwick playing this many years ago up in Foundation, Newcastle, I've never seen so many people move from the bar onto a dancefloor, The second time was in Replica "Like it's 1999!" gig with Jan Johnston singing live, but she was off her face on something which made an already-unusual track a whole lot weirder, but still good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jivemaster said:

 

You did such a stellar job with Jules's set and I can tell that you enjoy Bondy's sets :). Only thing is, I don't think Scott Bond played is Salt Tank - Pueblo Blanco

 

He he! Could be becase we listened to Wet on the drive up and back home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spin Doctor said:

Jivemaster, I didn't take full tracklists for the other DJs. I felt it my duty to take one for Jules as a board member. Looking back I wish I had done more though. I would have been able to get Bond's 100%, Thrilseekers 90% and Ali & Fila probably 50%. I have a feeling that Matt Darey will be booked for the next one so I will make sure I try harder for the TLs. However, here are some additional tunes and comments from recollection:

Scott Bond
The Morighan - Remember (To The Millennium) (Lange Mix).  This sounded OUTSTANDING front centre of the club was second tune in I think.
The Generators - Where Are You Now? (Moonman Mix)
Vimana - We Came
Cygnus X - The Orange Theme
Mauro Picotto - Pulsar
Dumonde - Tomorrow
Matt Darey ft. Marcella Woods - Liberation (Fly Like An Angel) (Ferry Corsten Remix). Again, the sound system really did this justice.
Salt Tank - Peublo Blanco

Aly & Fila
I haven't been a massive fan of their to be honest, dismissing them as a new-ish breed of Trance producer and only liking the odd tune here and there.  However, really they made it big in the mid-2000s so not new-breed at all.  Some great tuneage and I will deffo keep an eye out for this pair again.

Thrillseekers
Push - Universal Nation (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Chicane - Saltwater (Tomski vs Disco Citizens remix)

 

Pretty sure it was Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix) that was his third tune in which sounded outstanding....so many videos showing up regarding that one.

 

Similarly, he played one of the original pressings of Matt Darey's Liberation too with the Malcolm X sample at the beginning before coming into the break "I pray that you grow intellectually, so that you can understand the problems of the world and where you fit in the world picture". This was later removed from the Incentive release.

 

Finally, Thrillseekers actually did his own remix of Chicane - Saltwater which was more ambient focused. Are you sure he played the Tomski vs Disco Citizens remix as Bondy played that earlier in the night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neuro said:

 

Delighted to see Jules play this. I've only heard this twice before in a club - once was Matt Hardwick playing this many years ago up in Foundation, Newcastle, I've never seen so many people move from the bar onto a dancefloor, The second time was in Replica "Like it's 1999!" gig with Jan Johnston singing live, but she was off her face on something which made an already-unusual track a whole lot weirder, but still good!

The good old days with Matt Hardwick :) . Haha... I remember seeing a video floating around on YouTube years ago which implied that Jan Johnston was miming at Like it's 1999 and showed video footage of her strutting up and down holding a mic that wasn't plugged in. Needless to say, I can't find the video now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2016 at 11:27 AM, Neuro said:

I'll go fetch my anorak now -_-

 

On 28/12/2016 at 5:20 PM, Jivemaster said:

Similarly, he played one of the original pressings of Matt Darey's Liberation too with the Malcolm X sample at the beginning
 

 

The collective knowledge on this board is superb. Keep the faith guys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked and all 5 copies listed are vg+, ranging from £35 to over £100, all for the same condition!. Mines probably that or in worse condition these days so not worth selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Spin Doctor said:

 

 

The collective knowledge on this board is superb. Keep the faith guys...

I knew I had this version on CD somewhere, it's available to download from the Classic Trance Nation comp. In comparisons the version on the  Trancemaster 3000 comp is missing said sample

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2016 at 5:20 PM, Jivemaster said:

 

Pretty sure it was Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix) that was his third tune in which sounded outstanding....so many videos showing up regarding that one.

 

Similarly, he played one of the original pressings of Matt Darey's Liberation too with the Malcolm X sample at the beginning before coming into the break "I pray that you grow intellectually, so that you can understand the problems of the world and where you fit in the world picture". This was later removed from the Incentive release.

 

Finally, Thrillseekers actually did his own remix of Chicane - Saltwater which was more ambient focused. Are you sure he played the Tomski vs Disco Citizens remix as Bondy played that earlier in the night.

 

Thrillseekers did two remixes, one being ambient and tother his usual trance fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Bond's playlist put together from the shared set.

 

Scott Bond

01. The Olmec Heads - Spiritualised (The Astral Mix)
02. DJ Albert - 4G
03. Agenda - Heaven (Lange Remix)
04. Vimana - We Came
05. Lost Tribe - Gamemaster (Signum Remix)
06. Nebula B - Liquid (Thrilithon Mix)
07. The Generator - Where Are You Now? (Moonman Remix)
08. Liberation (Temptation - Fly Like An Angel) (Ferry Corsten Remix)
09. Chicane - Saltwater (Tomski vs. Disco Citizens Remix)
10. DuMonde - Tomorrow (Full On Vocal Mix)
11. Crazy Malamute - Free To Ride (U.B.I.'s Fat Tire Mix)
12. The Morrighan - Remember (To The Millennium) (Lange Remix)
13. Cygnus X - The Orange Theme (Moonman's Orange Juice Mix)
14. Jupiter - Her Desire
15. Mauro Picotto - Pulsar (Megavoices Mix)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this