RECENT JJ RETROMIXES 96

Haven't been on here for ages or done any JJ Retro mixes … threw this together at the wkd.

Lots of Jules Trance era stuff up on here, this stuff covers my period of clubbing in London and listening to Jules flagship Kiss Fm Fri – Sat slots from 91 – 97. If your looking Trance only then forget it. If you like "Pumping" music then check it out.

These were the big tunes of the day in Jules' box and on his Kiss FM playlist … shame there are literally zero shows around from those days, as it was still very much pre-digital. I had dozens of tapes with his shows and others but they got thrown away by mistake during a move a few years back. I enjoyed tracking down these tunes as many never made it to the CD mixes that were around back then.

Jules was on rotation for all the regular club nights and specials all the time. Peach @ Camden w Graham Gold, Frisky @ Ministry (he would do 3 hour sets in the box) Gallery @ Turnmills, Serious @ The Cross, Divine @ Bagleys and Lloyd Studios. Kiss did some good allnighters @ Shepard Bush Empire as well. All the other big names were always around, Fontaine, Tall Paul, John Kelly, Tony De Vit, El Tongo, Blocko and Alex P, Healy, and the rest.

Its odd to look at London clubbing now with the 90s era as an afterthought, it was a seriously hedonistic time and there was so many nook and cranny places to hang out in all day after clubbing. Or just roll up to most pubs with decks and spin your own tunes. Pre-surveillance world … you can't take a shit now without it being analysed by some suits in a Batcave in the next room … glad I got my rocks off in that earache lol that was 21 years ago (WTF ...)

I enjoy early Trance stuff but have always been more into a spread of styles, which Jules was more about in earlier times. Anything from Funky – Tribal – breakbeats - uplifting and the downright nutbag tunes he seemed to have an ear for. Its basically just “Pumping” …  More on the way now I got the bug again lol ... enjoy.

judge jules 97 clockwork.jpg

• Like 2

Recognise some, some I don't. I wish you had played Ice Rain for a bit longer before bringing the next track it, made it seem , for me, a bit pointless playing Ice Rain at all only until the first main breakdown.

As for Pizzaman - The Feeling, I first heard it after buying the Cd single of Hello Honky Tonks at Woolworths when it was knocked down to 30p, and thought back then it was  pointless track that went nowhere, still do, ha!. I got rid of the Cd a few years later, I wish I hadn't as I did like the Cotton Club remixes. Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

• Like 1

Nice one ... JJ came in with that Pizzaman tune @ Ministry - Frisky one time. I'd heard it on his show a couple of times and thought nothing of it at all. But when it came in during his set it sounded very different ... then again, that system is so perfect that you could dance to a fart coming through it! The Cotton Club - Honky Tonk remixes are on the next mix, which I'll be posting soon.

I only really like the first part of Ice Rain, for me it just drops back in again, and on these mixes I'm tending to throw a lot down. So many tunes, so little time...

Thanks for listening and for the feedback.