Sign in to follow this  
ankarra

AUDACITY

So have a few tunes from beatport-juno-cd singel, and they where so low had to turn up the volume alot.Now i have increased some songs in audacity and wow what a difference.What i need help with is CLIPPING<< i can't up the Volume withouth clipping, and some say you are not supposed to go with CLIPPING(a little confused) the only way to up the volume is to allow CLIPPING for increasing the volume ...so if anyone feel's like helping PM me

EDIT: Ok so u can drag the waveform without clipping, just need how much can u drag? you cant drag  it so the waves hit the wall (up and down wallls),and there are some small thinner waves that,when u drag those will connect.Have tested with new songs WAV from beatport,and some of those are touching ! a little confused,talked to a friend , and he told me to be very careful with this kind of increasing....

On 11/24/2017 at 11:13 PM, Spin Doctor said:

You need to normalise the file; this will bring the loudest peak of the waveform to 0db.

so after normalise it too - 0db ,how much can i drag the waveform? dragging the waveform is better so u dont mess it up ,insted of increasing with clipping

i dont increase the volume with yousing effect then amplify buttons....i learnt that u just get the song in and press the second icon next to the one that is blue, then u>  ctrl +a    ...then the waveform gets marked,and you drag the waveform up and down,question is how much....have seen so many different on how much,,,think i will just go with my hearing and comparing...have done a few,seems fine too me when comparing,just don't increase too much

If you increase volume past 0db you will get clipping; there is no way round this. If you want to increase the overall volume of the track without clipping you will need dynamics processing, also known as compression.

Compression is a reasonably simple concept but one which is very hard to master to get professional results, therefore I think you are better off just normalising to 0db and leaving it there.  Modern music is recorded with little dynamic range, the difference between the loudest and quietest part of a recording and if you start over compressing it further it will sound worse.

Some more reading to improve your background knowledge:

Wikipedia - Loudness Wars

FL Studio Manual - Mixing Advice