Jules @ Peach 25th

Bongoloid77 vol 2

Should be good ...

Peach was one of my regular stomps in the mid - late 90s @ Camden Palace (now KOKO) Had some serious nights down there, as well as Clockwork Orange on Saturdays, monthly. Graham Gold and Jules in those days were pretty much the same sounding DJ's. Their flagship shows on Kiss Fm were a staple of our weekend. Gold is a really lovely geezer, not an ounce of ego or big head about him. I caught the Peach reunion last Thursday. The main room was all post 2000 trance, which is really my bag. Gold played the main room, then the back room at 5am for the last set. He did, to my relief, dig the crates and pull out some mid 90s gems. Had a little chat with him just before, as well. I may well check this out, as I've not seen Jules live since 1999 lol ... 

29792448_1839316943039524_141764916240047777_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What I was trying to say is, be wary of Jules dropping his annoying 'somebody scream' 'make some noise' and other such annoying jingles during his sea, also ill fitting acapellas too maybe. He seems to do this during most of his classics sets over the past few years, including both times I saw him play at Karanga a few years back. He totally ruined Ayla by playing said annoying jingles all over it for example. This is why a lot of longtime fans like me have lost a lot of respect for him, the whole requesting a 3 cdj so he can mess about with jingles and acapellas and scratching makes him a laughing stock really. 

On the other hand he may play a blinding set of top tracks without all that tomfoolery. Fingers crossed for you he does. 

21 hours ago, JasonB said:

This is why a lot of longtime fans like me have lost a lot of respect for him, the whole requesting a 3 cdj so he can mess about with jingles and acapellas and scratching makes him a laughing stock really. 

On the other hand he may play a blinding set of top tracks without all that tomfoolery. Fingers crossed for you he does. 

I completely agree with this.

For me Jules was the ultimate "gateway" DJ - very flawed, very inconsistent, but capable of truly sensational sets and unique passages of atmosphere. He opened a generation of people up to a variety of electronic music.... you only need to look at everybody on these forums all with their preferred niches and subgenres that they've discovered. But the common origin was Jules.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, Neuro said:

For me Jules was the ultimate "gateway" DJ - very flawed, very inconsistent, but capable of truly sensational sets and unique passages of atmosphere. He opened a generation of people up to a variety of electronic music.... you only need to look at everybody on these forums all with their preferred niches and subgenres that they've discovered. But the common origin was Jules. 

Excellently put there Neuro.  Nothing to add other than simple support to your view. You are spot on.

His tracklist at the last Gatecrasher was superb. He played a fantastic set only to be ruined by his annoying samples!!!

It's a real shame as Jules really can play a superb trance set when he does put the effort in, but he constantly gets slated for these jingles. What's even more infuriating is that he must be well aware of the general negative feedback regarding this but rather than question it ot take any of it on board, he chooses to ignore it completely! "Somebody scream!!!"