Gold N Delicious / Les Hemstock

WAP

Hi Guys,

I've been bugging Les for a few years now and he has finally had the time to rip and upload some of his old sets from Gold n Delicious. I've been bugging him to release his Gold n Delicious - Ascension track that Jules hammered in 1998 which I've loved since hearing it. He said he is planning on releasing and remixing it at some point and possibly the vocal version that is on his soundcloud page.

Les has been uploading them set rips here : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAYCTzb1KSGESeNYZfL1uQ

Les' personal Facebook page that he puts some of his current DJ and production bits on https://www.facebook.com/nothingbutmirage

Brand new Gold n Delicious facebook page - worth following https://www.facebook.com/Gold-n-Delicious-1860311547347556/

hope this is of interest and for those that don't know Les is behind the Jive Bunny Master mix series (he is a legend!)

Wow, this is a blast from the past! I remember hearing this tune on Jules show back in the day. I kept missing the track ID so I even sent a tape into Radio 1 and someone kindly rung me up to give me the name.

It was the first record on vinyl I ever owned as it was only available on vinyl and no digital formats. After this I soon got some decks and got into mixing.

Would be great if this got a re-release and some remixes and came out in digital format. I remember emailing Les about this years later and sure he said something about it didn't get sample clearance so never got a proper release.

EDIT - Found the email in my gmail. This was in 2010.

his is Les Hemstock. Thank you for your email and interest in my work.

The GnD tune was never released as EMI blocked it due to copyright issues in the composition therefore it cannot be sold online at this time. In the near future I plan to remix and release the tune so you will hopefully find it readily available very soon!

Thanks again for the enquiry, all the best

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2018 at 9:48 PM, JasonB said:

Eh?, Ascension was released mate: 

https://www.discogs.com/Gold-N-Delicious-Ascension-Pulsate/release/133555

It was also released full length on Cd too:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Club-Class-Volume-Seventeen/release/4692116

:huh:

As for the Lange remix..... I own it digitally... 

I meant as In it didn't get a commercial release due to the sample clearance . I have a rip of the Club Class Seventeen CD that someone did for me so have a good copy of the original but as far as I know the Lange mix was only promoed by Serious on acetate. Do you have a copy on CD Jason?

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely couldn't remember what Ascension sounded like.  I usually have a good musical memory so had to look it up: youtube.

Ascension never did it for me though I am intrigued to listen to the sets you have linked WAP.  A quick scan from the first one had Darey's remix of Blockster - Grooveline which is one of my favorite from the era.  Thanks for sharing.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok so 20 years has elapsed and again perhaps the licence is up and they have their hands on the original sound recordings again....

The Lange remix 1998 version is presumably the only Lange remix (I uploaded the acetate entry you see on discogs, with the Thrillseekers' Synasthaesia on the flipside) which I then sold, but I wonder why it's OK to release it now when presumably it was a copyright issue in 1998?

2 minutes ago, Neuro said:

Ok so 20 years has elapsed and again perhaps the licence is up and they have their hands on the original sound recordings again....

The Lange remix 1998 version is presumably the only Lange remix (I uploaded the acetate entry you see on discogs, with the Thrillseekers' Synasthaesia on the flipside) which I then sold, but I wonder why it's OK to release it now when presumably it was a copyright issue in 1998?

My guess is the Lange remix didn't include the sample that caused the problems in the original release.

I got the new releases and it looks like the Lange remix is a lossy transcode :(

I'll post the spectrogram later when I get home. 

Who really cares about this spectogram bollocks really, unless you are a purist audophile elitist person. Ive had the Lange mix as a 320 mp3 for a few years, as les gave it to someone who then gave it to me. Sounds fine.

The Lange remix contains the same keyboard line as in the original mix. Its a low key digital release so i very much doubt enya or anyone connected to her will ne suign anyone this far down the road. Stating not hating. Boom.

5 minutes ago, JasonB said:

Who really cares about this spectogram bollocks really, unless you are a purist audophile elitist person. Ive had the Lange mix as a 320 mp3 for a few years, as les gave it to someone who then gave it to me. Sounds fine.

It's more about you are paying for a FLAC / WAV and getting a transcoded MP3 which is the issue.