Luminosity 2019

milkybarkid

I'm going to have to bite my lip here, but lets just say I was not happy, putting it mildly. Horrendous mixing, you're booked to perform in the biggest trance festival there is, for a lot of money, and you put in that effort?

So frustrating as Jules can be so much better.

• Like 1

No lip-biting here - I think we need to be honest; his mixing was absolutely shocking. Each year he gets a little bit worse (which is hard to understand given the advances in DJ technology - it's easier than ever before!). Some people have always bashed him for his mixing technique, and yes there was always the odd clanger, but he used to absolutely nail most of them. And on vinyl too. I just wish he had retired completely a few years ago because this is embarrassing now. No one here wants to see a legend slide & struggle but continue on regardless. 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with it, Dave Pearce used to do this week in week out and still made a career. Yes it's sad, and we know he us much, much better than that.

He really should have taken more care, he doesn't DJ enough to mix on the fly without cueing anymore, but the thought and tune selection were enough to tell me he still has a place for the tunes we all love which made me happy.

Despite being someone who does not like it personally and wouldn't like to see it, maybe jules should look at serato or something for these type of gigs anyway

Jules is near the end of his dj carear the way i see it, he has lost all former credability by using the stupid jingles all the time, especially during classics sets and such (yes I have witnessed this foolery in person).  I wonder what his current 'band; concept playing dance classics thing is like, he did it yesterday in a town very close to me Frome, where Chrissie went to. I was at at a local beer festival instead, as I expect such a concept to be terrible. Everyones cashing in with the orchestral versions of classic dance tracks, so a live band concept is another take on it, but is it really needed?. Maybe I am just a grumpy old git already at age 35!

On 7/1/2019 at 12:49 PM, milkybarkid said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfigLAZXpzk&t=8763s

The man followed Matt Darey with The Prophet. Straight into Words from Pvd. Have to say, the tune selection is superb in this. Ropey mixing at times is definitely forgiven. 

Around 2:25. Enjoy.

ropey mixing? dodgy beatmatching more like, and looping, and using the lo eq to ry and disguise the fact that the tracks are out of time. there is no excuse for this at all, a total embaressment to himself, regardless of what track were played. I've watched the set too.  Jules needs to either shap up or ship out. Not worth 1p of the money he gets paid anymore. Boom .

On 7/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, milkybarkid said:

I don't have a problem with it, Dave Pearce used to do this week in week out and still made a career. Yes it's sad, and we know he us much, much better than that.

He really should have taken more care, he doesn't DJ enough to mix on the fly without cueing anymore, but the thought and tune selection were enough to tell me he still has a place for the tunes we all love which made me happy.

Despite being someone who does not like it personally and wouldn't like to see it, maybe jules should look at serato or something for these type of gigs anyway

hes using cdjs that have a bloody sync button which he could easily use, so what use would serato be really, so how can you have no problem with clashing beats when using cdjs for the money he is being paid? dave clanged mix after mix using vinyl, that was a different time, i dont see him clanging them using cdjs now, do you?.

Completely agree with you Jason. Rekordbox's bpm analysis is so tight now that there really is no excuse for tracks drifting out during short transitions. Add in the very dodgy looping and inappropriate placement of "Something for your mind, your body & your soul" and what you have is an absolute car-crash of a set. Embarrassing. 

• Like 1

I am reasonably forgiving about the odd mix which goes wrong.  Many of us are DJs here and we can list numerous frictions which get in the way of seamless mixing.  Ultimately, tune selection is and always will be the most important factor in the quality of a set.

That said, from a mixing perspective Jules really was off form here.  I’ve seen him do a few classics sets live, all at Gatecrasher, and at each of those his mixing was flawless though there was little variety between the tunes at each performance.

In many regards though, this is classic Jules.  Throughout his career, even when at his peak, he frequently antagonised and alienated with seemingly questionable decisions and terrible performances.  Thankfully these were counterbalanced with performances which would . As someone else once said on this forum, he ‘frustrates and delights in equal measure’.  I do wonder if Jules’ consistency had been better over his career he would have fared much better in terms of his standing in the annals of DJing and Trance history.  

I had been tempted to go to Luminosity this year with a friend, glad I didn’t though!

On 7/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, Spin Doctor said:

In many regards though, this is classic Jules.  Throughout his career, even when at his peak, he frequently antagonised and alienated with seemingly questionable decisions and terrible performances.  Thankfully these were counterbalanced with performances which would . As someone else once said on this forum, he ‘frustrates and delights in equal measure’.  I do wonder if Jules’ consistency had been better over his career he would have fared much better in terms of his standing in the annals of DJing and Trance history.  

And you have hit the nail on the head there sir.

Jules was the "gateway DJ" for millions of people, opening their ears to the scene which then spurred us into discovering the tiny little subgenres that dance music has now fragmented into. As a DJ in his day, the magnifying glass was on him like no other in the UK, so the "consistency" argument is one brought up all the time. I've lost count the number of times I hear people say to me "I saw him perform a flawless set, so gathered my mates to see his next gig only to witness an inexplicably shocking set" leaving everyone bewildered and, well, pretty pissed off. Maybe every DJ has this, depending on the venue, their attitude, and what's in their box?

But I like to think the Archive here proves those really good radio shows and live sets which were recorded outweigh all the shockers, so long may we relive them :)