Pioneer DJM 500 / 600

Aza

Which would be the best to go for? I know the 600 is more, thus prob better. However, would you be able to take advantage of the extra features that you pay for? I know the 500 hasnt got a delay unlike the 600, something which I like to try and use in a set!

Suppose my next question would be, CD-J 800 or 1000's? The 1000's have a wave display so you sort of see the strucutre of the tune, which is like looking at a vinyl etching so you know where the breaks are.

Gentlemen - your thoughts.....

i saw sumwhere that the 800's also have a wave display............hmmm

well i'm gonna say the 800 cos that what im getin :lol:

no seriously, i think the 800's are much better value, like almost half the price of the 1000's and have almost eaxctly the same features...

in terms of the djm 500/600 ive heard the 500 is very very good - as u say not much different from the 600, but there isn't as much of a aprice difference as betwen the 800/1000...

i take it uve sacked of the deposit and decided to go with the decks :D

hmmm, appears im lying - the 800 doesn't have a wave display, thoughti saw that somewhere - that and the memory card are two different features (the memory card is so you can store cue and loop points and use it on other cdj-1000's)

I'd prob go for the 800's too. I was sure i'd seen the wave display on them too! :P

They are cheaper, almost exactly the same features and still the same quality. Essentially, they all you need, nothing you won't miss that you'll feel the need to use every set etc. Look at it this way - Technics don't have any fancy goings on with them such as digital display and the like and people are never found wanting more of them :)

CDJs are definately on my shopping list!

I still aint sure what to do. I am itching to get back on the decks like i used to. I emailed jules regardnig my question i posted on here and he replied immediately. First of all, he says its not a decision he can make for me, and secondly he said its one of those heart vs head decisions.

Still looking at a method to try and sell me kit. Either all in bulk, or just the decks, mixer, and headphones (bjorn cheers for your post on jules' board) and a bulk of vinyl....

I think I could generate enough to make an immediate transition, a pioneer mixer and two cd-j 800s! But a place to live is also equally as important, I guess I will have to take a walk in the country and in the fresh air make a sensible decision!

mate, that is good to hear about jules and how well you are thinkin it thru, at the end of the day we can all give u our views but it is ultimately what u deep down feel is right. Only you can satisfy yourself with whichever choice u make - its a bitch aint it!!

Good luck in whicheva decision u make.....

Cheers matey - yeh it is!

You can get all the advise in the world and still do something completely different from what they all have said!

I asked Jules cos he has also been a student in his day and maybe could relate to the level a bit more! Jules was quite supportive!

I think my mind is made up, despite Trails word of wisdom and ste's advice (spelt correctly - lol :roll: ) providing I can score a temp summer full time job and earn as much as I can - that will fund my deposit (or contribute a great deal) and I can use the decks sale (which I have poured all my efforts into over the last three years or so, money and practise) to get some CD-J's!

Yey!! nice one mate - bet uve got that 'warm inside' feeling now u know your gonna be gettin new decks!! yey!!

Sio which year u in at uni? im in my second and ive got 2 jobs sorted 4 summer, they are funding my SINGLE cdj-800 anmd paying off my overdraft - i'd be quite pleased to return to uni with a bank balance of £1!!!

haha, its all good - now uve gott decide what cdj's and mixer to get......

glad to hear it mate :wink:

Significant difference in the price between the djm 600 and 500!

I love using the delay effect, but think its quite a hefty price tag difference! I will still weight up all the options, but think that there aint much difference between the two mixers!

Looking to get the sale of them soon so I can then work out how much difference there is to my setup!

Gonna make a page for ebay and using Mr Trails help with a page design and webspace to promote the sale on ebay!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few points to note…

The 1000’s don’t have a wave display. It’s actually a level display. Might sound like splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

As for the 500/600. There is a bit more in the difference than just delay, With the 600 you’re also getting a sampler. In addition to this (as far as I know as I’ve only used the 600) the 500 hasn’t got a depth control on the efx. If you’re really anal about levels like me, then this is essential unless you want to spend your time sitting in the reds. Finally, the 600 has got a different power range in the EQs, and cross fader curve control.

It boils down to what you’re going to be doing with it. If you’re just playing house/trance with no frills the 500 will suit you down to the ground. If you’re playing techy (or anything else for that matter) but feel the need to mess around like a lunatic as I do, then go for the 600. I’ve got a 600 and wouldn’t consider changing it for the world.

Cheers for the info mate. I think I would go for the 600 realistically then (obviously would need to discover & master the FX etc). I would play trance, hard trance and techno and would like to mess with the FX.

What about the cd-j's mate? The difference between the 800's & 1000's? Signigicant or.....???

Archived