id131 - last track played @ Lush, 30-06-2000

FuzzY-LogiC

• 1 year later...

Well folks,

I decided that i wasnt going to let this one die and so have done a bit of digging to try and find out once and for all what it is after seeing a post on trance addict.

I sent off some emails to possible artists in the hope that one of em would recognise it.

Tillman Uhrmacher said he didnt have a clue and had never heard it before

Torsten Stenzel of York gave this reply

"Hi,

you know...i know this track, i have heard it...but i dont know who it is !? it reminds me to my old productions and to atb, who we influenced a lot with awakening on 9pm till i come...it has also the same bending effect on the roland lead sound..which isnt a real guitar, i always work with real instruments. keep me in the loop when you have more infos !

greetz

t"

Michael Rocco of Rocco & Heist replied

"Hello Gaz,

Hope you are well.

Sorry, but Im sure this isnt one of our productions, although it sounds very much like what were doing around that time. It does sound familiar though, but I really couldnt name it. Sounded like a good'n.

Thanks for getting in touch and thinking about our music.

Kindest regards to you and the trance addicts.

Michael Rocco

(R&H)"

I also had replies from Altitude, Dave Joy and Darude (to see if it was any of his alias') all to say that its not one of theirs.

The search goes on!!!!!

EDIT My initial reaction was that it could be something from Crazy Malamute but god knows how to contact him/them

Edited by gaz2195

Good work Gaz - welcome to this board by the way... I've seen you prowling Tranceaddict.com so hopefully you'll become a regular on here too :)

My bet on this track now reside with Rank 1 ... do you reckon you can get in contact with them and ask?

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Crazy Malamute - firstly because the mix we're all familiar is a guitar remix, and secondly the bend is nothing like the original. I reckon you can write them off pretty safely.

Failing that, it could be a shelved project by Paul Masterson, which would explain why only Jules seemed to have this.

The hunt continues.

Good work Gaz - welcome to this board by the way... I've seen you prowling Tranceaddict.com so hopefully you'll become a regular on here too :)

My bet on this track now reside with Rank 1 ... do you reckon you can get in contact with them and ask?

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Crazy Malamute - firstly because the mix we're all familiar is a guitar remix, and secondly the bend is nothing like the original. I reckon you can write them off pretty safely.

Failing that, it could be a shelved project by Paul Masterson, which would explain why only Jules seemed to have this.

The hunt continues.

since my last post i have had replies from Dino Lanni of Flat 6, S.H.O.K.K and Thomas Pogadl of P.G.L all of whom said its not theirs, nor do they know whos it is.

S.H.O.K.K did say that they thought the sound was very much like what the dutch producers were using around the year 2000 and that his bet would be on one of them.

Best get emailing the thousands of em ;)

But it's so polished and in its final stages I can't understand why someone wouldn't release it...?

right, i have not heard back from Rank 1 yet but i did send jules another email to ask him whether he can play the clip on his show. he didnt say either way although he did send this

"Hi Gaz

Cheers for your mail. I know it samples Ry Cooder, but that’s about as far as I can get on this one.

Sorry I can’t be more useful on this occasion.

All the best,

Jules"

who or what is ry cooder??

you would have thought if it was something from paul masterton, jules might have known as they were together in hi-gate, yomanda etc. (although hi-gate tunes are plenty in that particular set). i cannot find any contact for paul either from googel or on myspace. any ideas???

EDIT....Found hm on myspace so ill see what i get back

Edited by gaz2195

Rank 1 have read my email but have not replied......probably not them if thats the case.

Also, i have had a reply from A.M.P although im not fully convinced hes listened to the clip as he just listed some tunes he once released.

Westbam have also read and not replied

It doesn't sound anything like a Paul Masterson production in my opinion. Around that time, Masterson had a funky-edged Trance sound where the emphasis was placed around kick drums and a punchy bassline. This doesn't seem like his style.

Can I throw a spanner in the works and say that a few elements in this tune remind me of Signum's sound from back then?

I dont think is Paul Masterson as Briggsy said. I dont think its Signum either, Signum, like Paul Masterson made their trance a bit funky - all in the basslines.

I think this was knocked up by some bedroom producer, pressed on a limited run of whites. I dont think you'll ever know who did it unless Jules plays it on his show and it jogs someones memory.

I don't think its Signum either - its not really their style, but there are a few elements (the synth, and lead drum), etc that sound like the style they used. The problem with back then is that a lot of people were using the same hardware and used some of the same features - which is why stuff is so hard to identify. These days, everyone has more of a unique sound, so you can normally ID the artist straight away without having heard the tune before.

I think this is going to be one of those that is never solved :(

Ry Cooder is an American country guitar player wasn't he? And he's about 80 now. I doubt he'll know anything whatsoever about the tune! I think whoever made it stole a sample from his track, and then recontructed the guitar bit using some software with that pitch bend... it's not a real guitar sound anyway sir!

I think we should stick to the dutch line... send it to Ferry Corsten maybe? Or Vincent De Moor?

Ferry Corsten's sound was was quite distinct in 2000. He was starting to move away from the euphoric 1999 sound - more into a darker minor chord sound. System F "Cry", Desiderio "Starlight", William Orbit "Ravals Pavane...", Apoptygma Berzerk "Kathy's Song" productions all had a more mature Ferry Corsten sound. I guess what i'm trying to say is, this track isnt produced well enough to be Ferry.

I initially thought Rocco & Heist, but if they say its not them then i its not. Hmm, this is the beauty of the mysteriousness that surrounds white labels.

I sent Ferry the clip ages ago but never had a reply.

I have had a reply from Yomanda (Paul Masterton) and he says he definitely not his either. Jule also confirmed that hes 100% its not one of Paul's also.

It doesnt strike me as being Signum's style but i suppose you never know.

Okay, Chris Agnelli replied, said he didnt know what it is :( bugger

^^^^^

From further up neuro.

Ferry Corsten, Signum & Rank 1 have all read my messages but not replied so not looking good on that front. I suppose it all depends on whether they can be bothered to listen to the clip as well.