id131 - last track played @ Lush, 30-06-2000

FuzzY-LogiC

a friend of mine (who plays guitar) claims the breakdown sounds extremely similar to Ry Cooder "Paris, Texas". That apparently, is where the sample comes from or reconstructed. Apparently, its a title track from a soundtrack to a film called "Paris Texas". I dont know if thats of any use?

I've taken it upon myself to download Ry Cooder stuff to try and find the track that this tune id samples:-

Can't believe I'm listening to this but I want the name of the damn track so bad! Ry Cooder's done so many songs it's f****** ridiculous, he's been busier than M.I.K.E. ;)

:lol: made me laugh that did!! Good effort sir.

• 3 weeks later...

why doesnt some talented producer try and remake this track? as much as poss to the verision jules played? how bout corbossy or will ? or anyone!! ;)

I think Will Atkinson should do a hard remix of it......Jules would play that, he can call it the INFAMOUS UNKNOWN UNKNOWN TRACK - (remix) :thumbsup:

I have come to the conclusion that this track is either definitely produced or part-produced by Jules.

Here are my reasons:

1) Jules is the only person who appears to have ever played this track.

2) In nearly 10 years, not one person has either identified or confirmed responsibility for creating it - be it fellow DJ, producer, or outside individual.

3) Jules's own answer about it in an email to gaz2195 (posted on this board here is: "I know it samples Ry Cooder". This is either an astonishingly good bit of ID'ing, or because he knew it in the first palce because he made the track.

4) Moonman identifies on this board here that the Ry Cooder track it samples is called: "Paris, Texas".

5) The year before, we see Jules selected "Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas" as his opening track for a mix tape for Muzik mag - the scanned image is in our gallery archive here.

I think we need a post from the man himself on this board to finally put this to rest :)

why doesnt some talented producer try and remake this track? as much as poss to the verision jules played? how bout corbossy or will ? or anyone!! ;)

I've been messing around with a remix of this for a while now out of my sheer love for the track. I'll have to crack on with it.

1) Jules is the only person who appears to have ever played this track.

2) In nearly 10 years, not one person has either identified or confirmed responsibility for creating it - be it fellow DJ, producer, or outside individual.

3) Jules's own answer about it in an email to gaz2195 (posted on this board here is: "I know it samples Ry Cooder". This is either an astonishingly good bit of ID'ing, or because he knew it in the first palce because he made the track.

4) Moonman identifies on this board here that the Ry Cooder track it samples is called: "Paris, Texas".

5) The year before, we see Jules selected "Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas" as his opening track for a mix tape for Muzik mag - the scanned image is in our gallery archive here.

Smooth bit of detective work there Neuro, however it's all merely circumstantial, and we still don't have a motive as to why he would say Col Hamilton played it? Surely if Jules had made the tune, he would have said something by now?? Someone may have made the track sampling Ry Cooder - paris Texas after they read it in Jules' 'do us a tape ' article as they wanted Jules to play it, much as people make tunes (bootlegs/remixes) now using tunes they think JULES will wanna try out and play. Personally I think Jules did play it, and not Col Hamilton...but I think you are right in that, Jules could perhaps say something on the whole matter, is he fully aware of the debate and daily turmoil his fans and other music lovers are in because of it!!? :confused:

Go For It Tim!!

Btw aswell, I doubt it's Westbam, as has been suggested earlier in this thread. I've not heard Westbam make any tunes like this one.

If I am now proved wrong by the correct identity of this track, that will be a good thing! :)

Thing is Jules said that he didnt play it, Col Hamilton did...

Just popped over to see if there has been any posts on the infamous track and theres been a flurry of activity(ish)

I'm not sure why, but I don't believe Jules.

Did he play the Lush set b2b? If not, why would Col Hamilton have played the tune in Jules set? I just think he's said that because he has had so many requests for the title.

I'm also not convinced that the track is a direct sample of Ry Cooder, although you can hear the similarities. The first couple of times I asked Jules, he never mentioned Ry Cooder and it wasn't until the third time that he stated that.

It sounds to me, from that magazine scan, that Jules is familiar with Ry Cooder's music, and has just made the comparison when listening to the tune, rather than having anything to do with it.

The plot thickens though!!! Good work people

Smooth bit of detective work there Neuro, however it's all merely circumstantial, and we still don't have a motive as to why he would say Col Hamilton played it? Surely if Jules had made the tune, he would have said something by now?? Someone made have made the track sampling Ry Coode - paris Texas after they read it in Jules' 'do us a tape ' article as they wanted Jules to play it, much as people make tunes (bootlegs/remixes) now using tunes they think JULES will wanna try out and play. Personally I think Jules did play it, and not Col Hamilton...but I think you are right in that, Jules could perhaps say something on the whole matter, is he fully aware of the debate and daily turmoil his fans and other music lovers are in because of it!!? :confused:

Go For It Tim!!

Btw aswell, I doubt it's Westbam, as has been suggested earlier in this thread. I've not heard Westbam make any tunes like this one.

If I am now proved wrong by the correct identity of this track, that will be a good thing! :)

I have made him aware of the massive search going on, on more than one occasion. I pointed him in the direction of the trance addict thread that has had something stupid like 60,000 views and 17 pages of replies

I thought he would have been made aware already. :winkthumbsup:

I have just emailed him again. You never know, the 'Paris, Texas' song title along with the tracklisting that I attached may just trigger something in his head.

i also asked him if he wouldnt mind popping onto the board to put his view forward.

Hopefully he'll be as courteous as he has in the past. taking his time to reply.

I hope you're right, Gaz! Sometimes DJs like to leave things anonymous, which I quite like. Because of it, this track is still world-famous across all dance messageboards nearly 10 years later....

I'm sure he has lots of snippets of Hi-Gate or VPL productions which (for some reason) never made it out... maybe this was just one of them?

Let's hear the clips again:

Full track from Jules's Radio 1 broadcast (mixed out of Hi-Gate "Caned & Unable" at start): Play

Clip 1: Play

Clip 2: Play

I love playing that tune at any oppurtunity, I love the second clip but it leaves me highly frustrated when it ends!! :thumbsup: <_<

Anyway, I don't think Jules made that tune, it doesn't sound anything like the kinda tunes Jules was knocking out either now or at the time especially!

But I do love it ... :wub:

and those clips are better than the youtube recon, I look forward to Tims remix!!

Interesting to hear the reply of another DJ - thanks for posting it.

AM I ALLOWED.... to pop clip number two onto my facebook page please?? In case the person who done it is on there??

Sure thing!

i think its jules.... but im sure he played this in the studio, on a fri ngt hot mix??? so hes played it twice, once on the road and in the studio, im so sure of it!

Someone mentioned the same thing a few years back. Unfortunately we have no surviving audio of the studio session it was possibly played in :(

i think its jules.... but im sure he played this in the studio, on a fri ngt hot mix??? so hes played it twice, once on the road and in the studio, im so sure of it!

good for u tim, goodluck with the rmx :)

Do we have a specific date for this friday night hotmix?

From looking in the TL archive we can rule out the two fridays around the Lush set (23/6 & 7/7) and Jules played lot of his friday shows on the road around that time, so... any suggestions?

the only friday around that time which is without info is the 21/07/00 show...