New format for Jules' show - starting 20/05/06

Neuro

New ending to the Saturday show will be as follows (TBC):

8.30 - Old skool track chosen (out of a choice of two) by listeners' text votes.

8.35 - 8.55pm Saturday night mix (20 minutes)

8.55 - 9.00pm slightly more downbeat track to serve as a better juncture into Westwood's show.

Just thought I'd let all you loyal board members know in advance. :wink:

I've no doubt this will stimulate some interesting debate!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should lengthen the mix not shorten it. :shock:

As it is we have "the cut up mix" so that it "blends" in after Trevor Nelson's show and now Jules is expected to accommodate Westward's show as well. It's not on.

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter b*llocks, why the hell should Jules accomadate f*cking hip hop rubbish? Why can't Westwood have the god awful cut up nonsense at the start of his show? Why can't Travor Nelson just plainly sod off?

R1 just keep on messing around with these formats trying to get listener figures up, but don't they realise that since Jules changed to have that cut-up i no longer listen to any of the first hour anymore and i'm pretty sure that there are a lot more who do the same. Why should i listen to housey pop rubbish when Paul Kershaw is hammering out top notch trance music? Regardless of their theories and views radio 1 don't realise that Jules fans listen to Jules & r'n'b fans listen to Nelson & Westwood, as soon as nelson is done i bet virtually all the listeners who like r'n'b turn off anyway regardless of whether Jules is playin the vocals to their favourite Destiny's Child song over a house tune.

The mix is way too short already at 30mins, the guy is a dj and his fans wana hear him djing not talking to bleedin Joan in Staines who wants to hear some Rank1 :?

Totally with you there Tom! People are still going to switch off as soon as Trev finishes because they prefer RnB simple as. You're not going to convert people's tastes. ANd yes, I've been skipping out the first hour for a while now...only occasionally catch the odd gem in there.

I always skip the first half hour, it seems to improve after then...

I had no idea about the "downbeat" tune at 8:55.... it was an idea I came up with for my show, no plagiarism involved - unless Jules saw one of my tracklists and liked the idea...?

I've no doubt this will stimulate some interesting debate

You're right there - I've never seen a post provoke such a strong reaction, but it's very clear why:

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter b*llocks, why the hell should Jules accomadate f*cking hip hop rubbish?

Absolutely. In fact Mr Bailey your spot on with all you say. I think the idea of a Funky Tried & Tested is also an unneccesary feature that didn't need to be added - firstly because it weakens the "main" Tried & Tested, and secondly because it unnecessarily clutters up the first hour, leaving any features that Jules wants to add having to clash with the half-hour mix -- which in my opinion should be the pièce de résistance of the show.

Moreover, people have their niches; RnB, Trance, and Hip-hop couldn't be more different from each other if you tried, and since Jules' show is wedged in the middle, it seems that once again it is he who has to accomodate for the shows either side. But why? Jules is already trying to cover funky House and Trance in a mere 2 hours. Radio 1 can't expect a listener to be tuned contantly across such a range of musical genres. In essence, all they're achieving is watering-down the music instead of promoting what could be a really successful run of specialized, focussed DJ showcases.

---| Bring back Friday nights and the simple format that went with it. I've no time for this.

Bring back Friday nights and the simple format that went with it. I've no time for this.

Friday night slot was superb, i'd probs not catch it live very often but it'd be a wicked listen again feature for me. Simple no-nonsense club music, Jules picking whichever records he liked and playing them, a lot more mixing aswel which is really what DJing is all about.

Regardless of their theories and views radio 1 don't realise that Jules fans listen to Jules & r'n'b fans listen to Nelson & Westwood, as soon as nelson is done l bet virtually all the listeners who like r'n'b turn off anyway regardless of whether Jules is playin the vocals to their favourite Destiny's Child song over a house tune.

Couldn't agree more. I don't listen to Trevor Nelson or Westward as l'm not into their type of music.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens this Saturday and if it is as Tim says then we will all have to bombard Jules with loads of emails. :lol::lol:

I shouldn't think Jules is pleased with this new format.

I know you're not all serious but I don't think bombarding him with emails is very productive or helpful. It would be better if Jules came on here and debated with us, as we're on his side at the end of the day... :)

agree i dont mean spam his mailbox...

i meant all just mail him with our opinions which are mutual. he doesnt come on any board hardly no more anyways, better to communicate through mail...

I'm sure if one of you mailed him with a collective opinion, that'd be better than bombarding him with complaints that are largely out of his control...

I agree. However he does ask for feedback regarding his R1 shows and gigs but l also realise that his hands are tied most of the time. As l said in my earlier post, we will just have to wait and see what happens this Sat.

As l said in my earlier post, we will just have to wait and see what happens this Sat.

I think dormouse is gonna get on the case for us and do us a favour if i believe correctly? 8-)

Only just read the above and I'm appauled. I totally agree with all the above.

Jules' show was moved to a later slot on Saturdays to more accomodate his style? Correct?? So why does he have to change his show's format to accomodate other DJ's. Why can't they be told to fit around him?

We only tune in for his show, and not think 'ooohh, Westwood sounds good this week, I'll hang around.'

And I also now skip the first 45 minutes of his show on listen Again. Now I'm losing the last 5 minutes of the mix too :evil: Should I start accomodating my licence fee accordingly?

Rather than all email Jules seperately, I'm going to send him a link to this debate and he can read all our opinions from there.

Archived