New format for Jules' show - starting 20/05/06

Neuro

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness I had no idea this would provoke such a strong and united feeling! :?

Personally I'm willing to give it a crack and pass judgement after the show... I don't have a problem with the old skool feature though - but then again, I'm kinda obsessed with the old tunes. :lol:

Goodness I had no idea this would provoke such a strong and united feeling! :?

Personally I'm willing to give it a crack and pass judgement after the show... I don't have a problem with the old skool feature though - but then again, I'm kinda obsessed with the old tunes. :lol:

I'm pleased he is continuing to play an "old tune" each week too. However l think what most of us are annoyed about is having the 30 min mix shortened by 5 mins (at the end) just because the music doesn't "blend in" with Westwards Show. As it is Westward has two shows at the weekend.

Another good point there, Chrissie 8-)

I emailed Jules about this thread, and today received the following reply:

Hi Steve

Can’t seem to log on to post a response personally, but if you could pass on my comment the last track isn’t going to be very mellow, just slightly less manic!

Cheers,

Jules

It may not be so bad after all :? But its still wrong :(

I only caught the last 40 minutes or so of the show tonight, but there's one thing that I don't know how to comment on, 'The Last Dance.' Where did he/The BBC come up with that one? Its not a bleeding wedding :evil:

The mix was drastically shorter too, not much more than 20 minutes. And the winner of the Old School tune thing was Pearl River. Not the most inventive tune ever :(

I'll listen to the whole thing again later...

Not keen on how the show finished tonight. I don't know why they(the producers) are doing this because there are adverts after Jules's show before going into Westwards show so l don't see what the problem is.

In all honesty I was very disappointed with the show tonight. They've changed the Live Line, sounds worse. More crap new jingles, and a 15 minute mix?!! He mixed very early out of 'Through Your Eyes' to squeeze another tune in (as its now live) and it sounded awful. Plus, from a techy standpoint, his mic was too loud during the mix.

"The Last Dance" didn't flow into Westwood any more than the Saturday Night Mix ever used to... in fact I think it was worse.

The "old school" jingle has blatantly been pasted from 2 old jingles they had lying about, and both the tunes were crap!!

Ok, I'll stop now.

I hope this is not the beginning of the end of Jules's show as they seem to be slowly edging him out, firstly by having the "cut up mix" and now the "last dance". It's very sad. :(

BTW l agree with Steve and Dormouse comments.

Anybody else listen to the show, and if so what do you make of it.

Its the first chance I've managed to catch the show in about a month due to various weekend festivities and irregular access to the listen again facility. Not overly impressed. Was a shame when he had to start playing house at the start of the show (not that im against house music). We are all fans of him through trance music so to loose more and more of this genre in the 2hr show is a shame.

Totally agree with the 'Last dance' comments. Whats that all about? :?

I can understand why you may stop the mix and, following a small vocal interlude, play a last track in a club environment because it shows the clubbers its time to go home rather than just letting the last track run out. This however, doesn't work on a 2hr show. Left me confused as to whats the need for it??

Auch that just nonsence, every ones getting ready on a saturday night, jules on the radio and then hes going to play a downbeat choon WFT - mate? No body will be in the mood for going out....

That sums it up nicely.

After all it is called the "Saturday night warm up".

Hi Guys,

I've been checking out this site for yonks now, but finally felt the need to reply to this thread.......

Basically, I've been listening to Jules shows since I got into dance music in 1999, and as time has progressed, i've started to dislike Jules's show less and less - not because of anything Jules has done, but simply because the show has been changed so much by the producers.

I can't help but feel that perhaps Jules is being "bullied" out of Radio 1 because they're trying to change his show so much that one day they'll hope he'll say "actually guys, i've decided that this isn't for me any more because i'm not playing the music that true Judge Jules fans want to hear".

Over the years, the emphasis has been pushed more and more towards the Funky House side of his show in order to keep Trevor Nelson's listeners. Trance is my genre, and i'm hearing less and less of it each week thanks to the way the show has changed.

People listen to Jules for the following reasons.

a. They like Trance - something which appears less and less each week.

b. His club mixing - again, his mixing time has been reduced now on Radio 1.

c. His live club/outdoor sets - Radio 1 have now changed the format of these, and even at events like Creamfields, Global Gathering, etc, he has to do a Raido style broadcast rather than a 2 hour Judge Jules mix set like in previous years.

I find it a disgrace that Jules is the only DJ that is forced to accomodate the DJ's before and after him. If they're asking Jules to change his style of music to suit those DJ's, then its clear that Radio 1 are prograaming their schedules poorly. Surely it'd make more sense to re-organise things so that the dance shows fit together better. What is the point in having a dance DJ (Judge Jules) at 7pm til 9pm - followed by Tim Westwoods crap (sorry, rap) at 9pm til 11pm, followed by another dance DJ in the form of fergie at 11pm til 1am - why doesn't Fergie follow Jules instead, and then put Tim Westwood on afterwards. Better still, why not just get rid of the irritating twat that is Tim Westwood and get someone decent?

Would Radio 1 ask Tim Westwood to start his show with Trance to keep Jules's listeners?? Would they eck - so why does Jules have to do it?

I also couldn't understand before why Jules had to play Funky House after Trevor Nelson, build up to a bit of Trance, and then have Seb Fontaine following with some downtempo House music after him? Why wasn't Seb told to start harder to keep Jules's listeners? The biggest mystery of all is why didn't Radio 1 program a more complimenting schedule of Seb Fontaine following on from Trevor Nelson, with Judge Jules following Seb, and then fergie following Jules? That way, There would still be House music playing after Trevor Nelson, but Seb would still get to play his normal style of music, then Jules wouldn't have to accomodate for anyone else, meaning he too could also play his natural style, and with Fergie following Jules, it also meant he could do his usual thing too. Its not rocket science to see that that was a more natural progression to the schedule, with all of the DJ's still being able to play the style of music that they play in clubs. Simple!

Why do Radio 1 take DJ's on if they're not playing the style of music that they're famous for. Jules is a Trance DJ - so should therefore be playing Trance. Would Radio 1 sack Chris Moyles and take on Tiesto - but rather than making him play Trance, tell him to play pop music instead? Thats the way they're coming across these days......

IMO, Radio 1 lost the plot with the dance schedules after the big changeover a few years ago when Jules lost his Friday show, and Danny Rampling left. The dance schedules were spot on then, but now they're just randomly sandwiched between shows of other genres, with DJ's being told to play something they don't normally play........

Rant over LOL!

I definitely agree with Briggsy's qualms too...

It seems to me that we're not slating Jules here, rather the powers-that-be that keep meddling with the format, and I think that's justified. There's probably more true fans on here than on his official board, but the thing is, even if Jules is uneasy at the changes as well, he can hardly agree with us and slate it on a public forum like this one because that would be unprofessional.

Kinda double-edged sword really... :(

I agree with what others have said about it!

It just underlines the kind of knobbery which radio management get up to. And also highlights the fact that it can happen in any radio station, even a student one...

To be honest,the last tune wasn't even that banging, it didn't make any difference whether it would have been mixed in or not! Was good track tho...

very good comments briggsy, a good post to start off on the board, welcome mate!

I very much agree with everything u say, it is very unfair towards jules!

Whoever highlighted the fact that Westwood has 2 separate shows has hit on something. He has the evening on a friday where he can do what he wants anyway so why do we need him on a saturday? One Extra also houses the very politically and fair 'Black Music' so why not bung the f*cker on there?

When radio one gets a One Extra Extra with non-stop dance music on then we'll be about square.

Archived