Question for u dj's out there

DeAnO

Can i just ask if everyone on this site is a dj and what set up they actually have? I havnt done any djing till about a month ago when i went out and bought a pair of cdj1000 mk3's and a djm600. Now its just getting use to everything and practising as much as possible in my free time. If anyone has some advice for me i would also be very greatfull. Cheers

bloody hell mate!

That your first setup? That immense, well done!

My setup is:

2 x CDJ800's

1 x 1210MK2

1 x Behringer DJX700 - soon to be upgraded to DJM600

Sennheiser SP 25 HD

advise wise - practise, haha!

Alot of people thought i was crazy spending that kinda money on my first set up but after watching Eddie Halliwell and the rest tear up dance floors with the same one , i just admired it and respected it so much. Now i have the bad boys its just finding out what buttons does what. HaHa

Yeh Dean mate, that setup is surely the shizzle.

Glad you took some of my advise on getting the best of the best.

When I first started out on vinyl, i contemplated getting some cheapies just to muck around with...

I wanted to take dj'ing seriously, so went out and got the technics mk2, which proved awesome in every respect! I did start off with a sh!t mixer though, until i worked my self up to the djm 600.

jus the overall quality of the sound on the djm is immense, you can surely tell the difference on the output. there are so many tricks and efx you can do i wouldnt know where to start!

With the cdjs now you need not worry about sampling on the mixer, you can record up to 8 beats and loop that, but thats the same on the cdjs now.

i am sure loads of people will tell you pending on the type of music you play, only use certain efx.

i tend to use the flanger, filter, transform, echo and i still learning the delay. I love how eddie performs the delay effect!

the djm does a lot fo the hardwork for you, by automatically adjusting parameters to suit the speed of the effect you want, you can perform 1/2 beats, 1/4 beats etc... and adjust the parameter yourself to get the maximum effect!

That setup is awesome, at least you won't be spending much more on equipment in the near future.

Advice wise you just have to find your own sound, it can be anything or even a mixture of genres that you find interesting, always make sure you play what you love, don't conform to buzz genres and such as they will go out as quickly as they came in. If people like Eddie are your heroes aspire to be as good as them but don't try and be them, individuality is what makes DJs stand out and someone like Eddie is a one off.

Practise as much as you can there is no substitute and gradually things will begin to take shape, start recording mixes and puttin demo mixes on the net in any medium possible.

8-)

Tom can you tell me a bit more about your Gemini 2410s ? I was thinking about adding a viynl turntable to my cd players and i heard the gemini deck is pretty good without having to buy technics. I havent used viynl decks before and would like to practise on them also as ive heard its alot harder to do. Cheers

Well my decks were obviously purchased just over 2 yrs ago, i'm not too sure if you would get them anymore anyway mate as they were limited edition, they are see thru with special crazy luminous blue LEDs and such other needless features.

I got them at a small local store that i knew as i had got my first ever mixer from there. The reason they were so rare is cos as i said they are basically 1210's but just slightly tweaked for the colours. Being the savvy consumer i am i noticed that and saw they were way cheaper so got them there & then.

If you wana get decks though go with the Technics, they may cost a little more but they are industry standards and if you get used to them you will have no problem when you come to play out

The reason why i was asking about those is i one of my mates is selling a set but one of the on/off buttons is broken on one of them so he's wanting £110 for both of them. As im only needing one i thought i'd ask about them from a person that has used them.

I like them, they do everything that you could ask of a vinyl deck and the digital display is very helpful for quickly finding the rough sort of area that you wana pitch your next tune at.

my tt's have useless features casn play at 78 speed and play backwards random! they direct drives and do the business so thats all that matters to me lol.

As for style of music I say kitchensink, as my taste is so varied lol, I've mixed dance stuff and done bits of rock, also some rap drum n bass even tried hardcore! experimnet and have fun! wish there where more people like John Peel playing stuff at wrong speeds n that just good music without any beatmatching n stuff! etc.... (waffling orn).

I've got 78 speed feature and the reverse button aswell, all very random, something that did annoy me a little with the technics earlier models is the click when u hit speed 0, nothing major just if u wanna be really precise it can be slightly annoying

2 x Gemini XL500s

1 x Gemini CFX-30 CDJ

1 x Behringer VMX300

1 x Powered Numark Speakers

I quite like my Gemini TTs and never had any problem with them. They led me to buy the Gemini CDJ, although that does have a very low sound output from it. Nothing wrong with the TTs though :thumbsup:

I've got 78 speed feature and the reverse button aswell, all very random, something that did annoy me a little with the technics earlier models is the click when u hit speed 0, nothing major just if u wanna be really precise it can be slightly annoying

The pitch used to waver on the older Technics around 0% as well I think, but that's been fixed now. Have you seen the price of their Mk5's??

Sounds advice from Tom earlier on about finding your own sound :thumbsup:

The pitch used to waver on the older Technics around 0% as well I think, but that's been fixed now. Have you seen the price of their Mk5's??

Sounds advice from Tom earlier on about finding your own sound :thumbsup:

i was just round my mate mixing on his 1210's, wasm ixing two tunes with both pitch faders on around 0%, what a nightmare i had, so bad!

Archived