A hint that Jules doesn't like the format of his radio show?

Briggsy

I've just been reading a Jules interview on HarderFaster, and saw this question and response. Its almost an indirect dig at the way his show has become more House-orientated.......

You are one of the most popular djs in the land, but with popularity comes criticism (it’s the British way to bash our celebrities). Do you read negative press about yourself and if so how do you deal with it?

Yes some of it. You’ve just got to believe in what you do. There’s extremely few djs who are both radio and club entities, I’m both. Even Tong really doesn’t go out and dj in the UK very often, whereas I’m out hundreds of times of year. And it’s difficult because if you hear me dj in a club and you heard what I play on the radio there’s quite a distinct difference. But I’m a firm believer you couldn’t do what I do in a club on the radio at the time I’m on and make it work, particularly following on from an R’n’B dj and preceding a hip hop dj. Sometimes people are too ready to judge you based on one persona. I’m always getting emails from people who are quite surprised when they hear me in a club at how different it is from what they expected.

The bit in bold in his response would indicate that he's having a bit of a dig about being sandwiched between Westwood and Trevor Nelson, and it looks like he's also hinting that his radio shows don't really represent a "true" Judge Jules set.

What are your thoughts?

Also, can someone tell me the answer to this question please? What city is Turnmills in? I've got a funny feeling it could be guestlist question tomorrow - i'm not sure why - I just have a funny feeling :shock:

I think Jules has done quite a good job of sitting on the fence there tbh. He explains why his music varies between club and radio without slagging anyone off. It sounds from that as though he accepts his style has to change to accomodate his show time. He maybe understands that trance is less popular than R n' F-ing B and he has to accomodate it.

I think we've all probably missed that point over the last few weeks, not that I'm condoning it of course!

Is it anything to do with the Cut Up being 10 minutes long from now on?

Are you serious? this is actually going to happen? This really is getting ridiculous, I almost dont see the point in Jules doing the show anymore when such a small portion gives a true reflection of his style. This certainly doesn't look good.

This is shocking news. I didn't catch it on his show last week, but he can't be impressed by this at all. It'll soon be down to just an hour of Jules. His show and Dance Anthems are the only trance based shows on Radio 1 (OK, the Residency occassionally is trance) and they are shortening it again :evil:

More emails to the Beeb...

Jules has just mentioned on his show tonight that the cut up boys will be doing an extended mix from July (I think that's what he said.)

I'm trully gutted and feel very sad that Jules is being treated so shabbily.

It doesn't look good at all.

Just read the previous post and I'm shocked.

Could be that Jules has agreed to it in order to keep his show.

If it's Jules' own request for them to do their mix for longer then one has to imagine that he really likes what they do.

Personally it doesn't bother me one jot as long as the funky section is kept strictly to the first hour, if we start getting funky nonsense after 8 then i shall vent my anger, if not i don't care pre 8 is a waste of time anyway now i.m.o

Too right - it has always been about taking snippets from different DJs anyway and the by extracting the best bits of Jules (which we've always done) after 8pm we're still picking up on some good tunage I guess. Evidently one of the drawbacks though, being on national radio and having to 'accommodate' :(

I'm meant to be doing those Global Warm-up show tracklistings on this website as well, but without being able to hear it, it's tough making any corrections :?

Also, where they're published on Jules' own website, in the last year or so they've totally screwed up the presentation of them and now don't bother publishing the tracklist for whoever is doing the guest mix on there... lazy.

It infuriates me; that's the whole point of a tracklisting!

I've removed the Global Warm-Up TLs from this site and am thinking of doing away with it altogether from the main menu until I have time to write them all up properly.

Archived