Dangerous Dave Pearce

Briggsy

I've heard quite a few good things about Dave Pearce lately. Apparently, he was really good at Escape Into The Park, and he was also supposed to be good at Coloursfest too.

What do you lot think of Dave Pearce?

I've never really thought he's that bad actually. When he does a "serious" Trance set, he's quite good. His mixing is about on par with Jules (ie, sometimes good, sometime shocking).

Yeah, he's not bad. People categorise him as being a big named DJ - he's just unfortunate in that he's a radio presenter that also happens to like dance music and can mix. He gets offered big gigs simply because of his radio personality - but then he gets stick from the "serious" Trance fans.

Some of the stuff that man has enforced onto people's ears over the years is criminal, way too much cheese and i.m.o his mixing is generally always shocking.

When i first started out i had a little motto to help me when i got down about messing up a mix it read

'If Dave Pearce can do this so can I'

Basically i thought, look if that muppet can get gigs and be paid hundreds for playin cheesy trance over-pitched and poorly selected then there is no reason why i can't

He has yeah, but away from his "dance anthems" branding that comes with his radio 1 personality, he cna do some serious Trance sets - and just lately, all those "serious" Trance sets seem to be getting good reviews. Maybe he's putting in more effort at the big events perhaps?

Although he's pushed some cheese, he's also brought through some greta tracks. Dangerous Dave was the guy that picked up on a, then unsigned, Syntone - Can't Believe It - and then after loads of support, it got signed to Silicon Recordings, and then it hit the big time. He's done that with a few tunes over the years. He had a knack of finding some good tunes on small foreign labels a few years back.

He really must ditch that Picotto vs Camisra - Show You My Lizard bootleg. He's been playing that ever since the dya it first surfaced. :shock:

Since Dangerous left/got booted out of his mon-thu evening show on Radio 1, I think he has improved. In that show he was playing R'n'f'B, pop, rap and everything else, incl a usually quite cheesy trance mix. Obviously, he had to play this way for the audience at that time of day/week and I'm sure he has converted a fair number of people to trance in doing so.

However, he now only has his Dance Anthems show (albeit now 2 hours, when it was originally 3) and he seems to have a loose leash on what he plays. Yes, he still is on the cheesy side of things, but his set at Coloursfest went down a treat and there's no escaping the fact that he enjoys doing what he's doing, which can't be said for some DJs (not mentioning any names. Tiesto :wink: )

he's ok, some cool stuff over the years, it's a shame he limits his mixing to vinyl only tho, and he plays them at lightening speed

The way he pitches every tune at about 5+ is ridiculous. One of the many reasons he is wrong :?

I'd never rush to the front of the crowd to see him Dj, but I used to enjoy his "Future anthems" mixes on Dance Anthems and still like to catch them now. he does pitch stuff up, but it works sometimes, The Gift - 'Love Angel' at +4 then into Clokz - 'Clocks' works so well! He used to play one tune for weeks on DA in 2003 - Dj Luka - 'White City', but can I find it anywhere? no! And he introduced me to a lot of trance that was indeed missed by other Jocks, like stuff on random German and European labels.

In that show he was playing R'n'f'B, pop, rap and everything else, incl a usually quite cheesy trance mix. :wink: )

That cheesy Trance mix wasn't done by Dave Pearce - it was done by none other than our big friends that have hijacked the first 10 minutes of Jules's show - yes, thats right, The Cut Up Boys!

And he introduced me to a lot of trance that was indeed missed by other Jocks, like stuff on random German and European labels.

Yeah, that was definately Dave Pearce's strong point! He has a knakc of finding gems on small, obsure labels. He was the guy that brought Silverblue through before anyone else had even heard of them. Love him or hate him, Dave Pearce has done more for the Trance scene than we realise - and I bet half of you have played tunes that Dave Pearce brought through before anyone like Tiesto, Jules, etc pick up on them.

In that show he was playing R'n'f'B, pop, rap and everything else, incl a usually quite cheesy trance mix. :wink: )

That cheesy Trance mix wasn't done by Dave Pearce - it was done by none other than our big friends that have hijacked the first 10 minutes of Jules's show - yes, thats right, The Cut Up Boys!

Well I never knew that! He always led me to believe it was his mixing. Why did he get the Cut Up Boys to do it :?

I doubt it was down to him to be honest - it would have been down to the Radio 1 management.

When Dave Pearce's weekday show went, the Cut Up Boys mix was then moved to Jules's show :(

I've also heard that Dave doesn't do that Trance mix on his dance anthems show on a Sunday night - its his producer that does it!

I was reading Hip Hop magazine and there was Dave Pearce featured in an article sat with these black rappers. Apparently he was huge in the hip hop scene in the early 90's!? anyone shed any light!?!?

Thats how he made his name! He was a hip-hop DJ back in the illegal Kiss FM days and thats how the "roll another phatt one" saying came about (it was on Dave's website a couple of years ago).

Apparently, he was very highly regarded as a hip-hop DJ, but then he ditched it and moved onto Trance.

Any chance you could reduce your signature in width a bit, I have to scroll left and right to read everything! Cheers 8-)

yes i did wonder what was causing that!

Sort it briggsy or get banned :twisted:

I thought that all the mixing on his shows was done by Dan Bailey ?

yeah probably. I remember that Dan Bailey used to do a lot of DP's mixing for him.

I think Mr Bailey (Sir Dan) used to only do the main mixes i.e. the ones in "the mix Selectaaaa" - but Dave did the 3 track mix at around 8.30pm usually didn't he? Was the only portion of the show worth listening to.