global gathering 2005!!!

Craig

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes unfortunately that Saturday is the same day as my brother's 30th birthday party do at a private club in London - rooftop buffet, champagne reception etc I think which I can't really miss. Plus he just got engaged the other day, so I suppose it's a double celebration.

Will definitely make sure I make GG next year. Sorry Adam!

I too have been hassled by Bjorn ;) But i'm working that day too and I really need to save some money. It's a total crime I can't go though, cos Stratford is so close to Worcester where I live. if you fancy popping into Worc on your way guys, let me know, will show you all the drinkin hotspots! haha. won't take long.

haha, im just looking out 4 ure 'beast interersts', nah its just that is is prob the only opportunity for a board meetup in the foreseeable future as most of u all liv down south!

Christian, i ve been to sixways, pretty nice place!

OK, I'm now officially gutted that I'm not going to Global, but hope everyone has a wicked time and look forward to reports of anything that you may remember from the 2 days of debauchery!

Tim - have a good one at your brother's 30th!

OK - I'm back! Stayed for the full stint - including Jules' last set, the closing set, in the main GK arena. Bloody excellent way to end a great day.

I'll let Bjorn, Agent Munki and any others fill you in on their favourites from the night, but my opinion goes as follows:

Best Sets:

Tiesto, R1 stage, 8.30-11pm

Erick Morillo, 9pm-12am, Babooshka arena

Fergie, GK arena, 3-4am

Judge Jules' closing set, 5-6am, GK arena

Worst sets:

Junior Jack & Kid Creme, R1 stage, 6-7.30pm

Eddie Halliwell, GK arena, 4-5am

Others we saw were Dave Pearce and Shapeshifters at the R1 stage (actually ok!), Tim Deluxe in Babooshka arena, Armin Van Buuren and Paul Van Dyk in the Gk arena.

Great time had by all, weather wasn't too bad either, despite the odd light downpour. Caught up with Bjorn too. Who else was there? There was some1 stood next to me at the very front, holding the railings, for Jules' closing set who seemed to know all the tunes, so I thought that may have been one of you. If you were stood next to a nerdy looking guy, let me know, cos that may have been me!!

When Jules finished his closing set at 6am with Karl G's remix of Coldplay, the crowd started booing when he said he wouldn't play "one more tune", which i thought was grossly unfair, seeing as you could see him asking the GK guy behind the decks, who kept shaking his head and saying no. Jules was really apologetic and funny about it all, and took time to shake a few hands and do a few autographs before he left though.

When Jules finished his closing set at 6am with Karl G's remix of Coldplay, the crowd started booing when he said he wouldn't play "one more tune", which i thought was grossly unfair, seeing as you could see him asking the GK guy behind the decks, who kept shaking his head and saying no.

I think this is common, I remember seeing Matt Hardwick having done a 5 hour Trance Classics night at Promise in Newcastle last year, finished his set at 4.30am on the dot as asked and held up the last vinyl for his final tune to end the night, which he'd obviously saved specially - and just about to place it on the decks when the bouncers behind stepped in front of Matt and gestured everyone to get out immediately.

I know clubs have a policy and contract but 5 minutes extra? Goes without saying this didn't go down well with the crowd obviously, so we all stood where we were and gave a deliberately long round of applause not only to thank Matt genuinely but also to drag out the evening for the bouncers :D

Yeah cheers it was amazing, a fantastic rooftop party in Soho with drinks flowing abundantly :)

Dormouse tell us about these not-so-good sets, sounds interesting!

Junior Jack's set was full of go-nowhere, sound-the-same tunes...

As for Eddie, he is a wizard with the technical side of deck trickery, but that means nothing if you're playing tunes as s**t as those. It must have been at at least 145bpm, it was like a Happy Hardcore night in there. Terrible. I never say that dance music sounds like noise, but that did to me.

If you ask me, Eddie Halliwell just plays to himself, but that may just be me...

When Jules finished his closing set at 6am with Karl G's remix of Coldplay, the crowd started booing when he said he wouldn't play "one more tune", which i thought was grossly unfair, seeing as you could see him asking the GK guy behind the decks, who kept shaking his head and saying no.

I think this is common, I remember seeing Matt Hardwick having done a 5 hour Trance Classics night at Promise in Newcastle last year, finished his set at 4.30am on the dot as asked and held up the last vinyl for his final tune to end the night, which he'd obviously saved specially - and just about to place it on the decks when the bouncers behind stepped in front of Matt and gestured everyone to get out immediately.

I know clubs have a policy and contract but 5 minutes extra? Goes without saying this didn't go down well with the crowd obviously, so we all stood where we were and gave a deliberately long round of applause not only to thank Matt genuinely but also to drag out the evening for the bouncers :D

Yeah cheers it was amazing, a fantastic rooftop party in Soho with drinks flowing abundantly :)

Glad the party was good Tim!

That night with Matt H @ Promise was a 4 AM finish and Matt had put aside Silence and 7 Cities for an encore. The bouncers would not let him play beyond 4. Rightly so IMO (even tho it p1ssed me off). If a night has a licence only til 4, and the club allows music beyond this time, they are in breach of contract and potentially liable to lose the Licence. I'd rather miss out on the encore and have another night to go to in the future. Besides, a DJ knows what his/her slot is and they should accomodate an encore within that. ie 'finish' at 3.50, then play your encore.

Yes that's an excellent point Steve, think you're right.

Do you remember that long applause at the end, was brilliant! :D

Lets hope Bjorn & co report back here on more GG stories - you never hear anything bad from PvD's sets ever do you? Consistently good :)

That was perhaps one of my best nights out. A good mix of new and old tunes - he deserved the applause. I think I was one of the lst to leave. One of those down-the-front-all-night moments. Then you look around and you're alone :D

I notice Bjorn hasn't surfaced yet!

OH MY GOD!!!! WHERE DO I START???????!!!!!!!!!!

jeeeeessss, what a bloody amazing weekend!!!

Im here now steve!!

Well then, i went to derby on thurs night after going on a mission to pick up a mate from barnsley train station! Met my other mate from uni (and 2 of his mates) and then we went out and got absoloutly s*** faced on thurs night (this proved to be a bit of a mistake as we suffered on saturday!)

So we ended up setting off to stratford bout 12ish and got there and queued for about 40 mins to get in the campsite. We deftly smuggled 3 litres of vodka in by putting it in 2 water bottles in a case and resealed the case - the police thought it was a brand new case - heh heh!!)

Anyway, we got all our tents set up and everything and started gettin pissed and the lot and then went to queue to get into the arena at 5 o'clock, we went straight to the R1 stage and right to the front for several hours where we saw erol alkanan (he threw a bottle of smirnoff ice to my mate!!) then tongy!!! he was quality - kept the crowd entrertained thats for sure, then was the turn 2 many djs and mylo and max graham making an appearence. Then we watched underworld and that was the r1 stage done for the night.

Next we went to see kosheen and deepdish (can't remeber which order) depdish were one of my fav's acts of the weekend, amazing atmosphere in the essential selection tent, hot as f*** but intense when they dropped about a 15 min version of flashdacne that was unreal, and then a mint remix of say hello - bloody amazing! We also caught sanchez just before deepdish which was a bonus!

That was pretty much the end of friday cos it finished at 2.00am, pretty early, so we went back to our tents and got mashed and even more pissed!

A nice noisy sleep and it was saturday morning - we sort of sat around not doing much waiting for 2.00pm to arrive - and when it finally did we went and queued agaibn and went straight for the r1 beach again, starting with dangerous dave who was suprisingly good!

Following on was shapeshifters and then we went and checked out sum drum and bass (one of my mates is well into it, so it was only fair) not really my kinda thing tho - it was serious chav central in the acclerated culture tent!!

Next we went to see Above & BEyond - who were f***ing amazing, seriously!! All three of them were there going back to back to back and they were dropping sum crazy tunes (this was at about 4.00pm and i was going mental) Should have heard the crowd when they dropped 'No one on earth' and 'Air for life'. bloody amazing i tell ya!!!

We then went back to out tent for sum food before the serious tunage started.

We returned to the R1 beach for Julesy starting his show, and the crowd was fooooooookin huuuuuuuuggeee!!!! We made our way to about 10 metres from the front where we had acomfortable position - jules show was mental, ppl were goin mental!!! I ve listened back and its my mates with the horns making all that noise - there were 3 of them and they weren't any other ppl with horns near the front so it must have been them!!!

Can't remeber many of the tunes, tho it took a similar format as his other radio1 shows with fischerspooner, einmusik, dark side of the moon i think!!

Then it was the all anticipated turn of the m,aestro himself - TIESTO!!!

He was undescribab;e. ppl were going sick!! His mixing was flawless and he played sum belting tunes (which i really struggled to name - my mind went blank!)

Now was the point that i actually got a txt through within 30 mins of it been sent from adam! Who was nearby so i promptly went on the scout and found him!!!!

Awesoem to meet u mate, sorry i couldn't of chatted for ages, my mates were running around like headless chickens and would stick about so i had to go!!!! Good 2 finally meet all the same!

Tiesto played till bout 11.20, so we had missed ferry :cry: , but nev mind!! We then went to check out sum hard house with the likes of andy farley (my mates wanted 2 see him) and then we saw sum more drum and basss and then it was the turn of PVD!!!

I have never seen so many people inside a atent ever - it was bloody rediculous - i will post photos soon, but we couldn't get any where near the front cos it was just so bloody rammed!!!

PVD was having it tho, perfect mixing, tune selection was the tits - u ready for this tim? he played Perasma - swing to harmony!! and of course a load of his own productions, including another remix of say hello which was ace!!!

We then went around for a bit seeing guetta and sum more dnb and then anne Savage who was dropping sum sweet tunes!

So then it was time to return to the global tent in anticipation of my most anticipated set!!!

We got in there and got a good position a lot further forward than when we saw PVd about 30 mins in to Eddie's set - which i thought was ok dormouse (we'll disagree on this) he was dropping sum seriously dirty tech trance and was going at a right tempo - but i was loving it!!!!

Then it was 'his' turn,. JULESY!!!!

I think this has to be my joint top set of global along with tiesto - although jules lighty f***ed up a couple of mixes the tunes selection easily made up for that and the atmosphere was tru;y mental. The lighting and pyrotechnics were amazing, they had flame cannons, smoke cannons and the lot - epic!!

Needless to say i spent most of his set off my feet in the air, what a dj to play the final set!

Ok, so heres all the tunesi can remeber he played - so euphoric and crazy!!!!

oh and eddie did this mental cutting and looping of adagio (his final tune b4 jules) which drove the crowd wild!!!

Judge jules vs dumonde - whats in your head (awesome)

4 Strings - sunrise (do i need to say anything??)

Kristine blonde - loveshy (What a classic 2 play!!!)

ernesto vs bastian - dark side of the moon (prob the tune of global for me - i heard it 4 times)

DJ Scot Project - 'I (Need You) (choon)

Yves deruyter - born slippy (classssic!!)

Nirvana - Teen spirit bootleg thing - sure fire mint tune!

and he finished with

Coldplay - speed of sound (karl g remix)

My god it was amazing, my legs were buzzing after he finished, and damn right dormouse - it was well bad how ppl booed him - he was soo trying to play another tune!!!!!

And that was the end, thats the best i can describe it really, very difficult to put into words, but i hope my description goes sumway to tell u guys what we got up2!!!!

Have to also say, sorry craig i could meet ya, sorry i didn't ring u higgzy tim and steve - u couldn't make mobile phone call cos the networks were so busy!!! I got txts of si e p, adam and other mates bout 6-9 hours after they were sent, bloody crazy!!!

So that was that, we then went to our tents (ive never seen so many drugged up ppl who looked like they were caught in a cars headlights!!!) and promptly collapsed, finally getin to bed around 7 in the morining and then geting up bout 12 and heading back to derby where we sort on monged out all day before gettin hammered again last night as we got through about 14 lires of cider between the 5 of us, lol!

The weekend was truly amazing and soooo memorable, i will post a load of photos up soonish!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Archived