Global Gathering Reviews & Pics

Bjorn

Ok then, god...where to start...

Well ive just got home and im just about recovered now after minimal sleep and hardcore partying all weekend!!

Righty, started off picking u pa few mates form sheffield and having a nice trouble free drive down to a services near warwick where we met up with a load of mates from around the country ended up being about 15 of us together...

We got to global no worries and were suprised to see how busy it already was by 2 when we got there - we ended up having to walk f***ing miles to get a camp spot - a good 10 mins, lol!!

Oh and security was a joke - so minimal, i could have taken anything in i wanted, what a joke after last year..

Anyway, we all god pitched up i na nice big circle and started the boozing - went a bought a load of crates of beer (£35 each :shock: ) and got o nthe piss nice and early. About 5 we headed out to no queue whic hwas nice as the campsite had a separate entrance unlike last year. We headed to the breaks tent to kick things off to sum quality stuff from the stantons which was nice to warm up with..

The first main person we wanted to see was of course tongy, we managed to get close to the front and fully enjoyed his show with sum wicked tuens played (and i can't remember one single one..lol)

After that we headed around a few places seeing David Guetta who was awesome, played a different version of that egg vs guetta mash-up (at a guess i'd say he'd done it himself) and another awesome remix of Killers - Mr.Brightside!

We headed back to radio 1 to see Groove armada but it tunred out they were late so we stayed saw sum sasha who had a full desktop mac setup around the decks & a laptop! He was pretty damn good tbh, i really enjoyed what we heard, and just b4 the end he dropped Da Hool - Met Her At The Love Parade - quality!

Groove Armada finally came on and rocked it big time, played all their big tunes which was awesome - really enjoyed that but we had to nip off to the electric tent to see Daft punk... Thats probabaly the most rammed ive ever been - it was rediculius - like sardines i na can but deffo worth it - they were AMAZING. So so so good hearing them live, top top stuff! We then left to go see my fav of the night - TIIIIIIIIIIIIESTOOO!

I was a little undecided how good he would be before hand, but he absolutely rocked it. He played (what ican rememeber):-

Pirates Of The Carribean - He's A Pirate (Tiesto Remix)

4 Strings - Take Me Away (Purple Haze Remix)

Kay D Smith - Praiseworthy Tunes

Delerium - Silence (Tiesto's In Search Of Sunrise Remix)

It went right off when he dropped praiseworthy tunes - got a vid of that sumwhere... He was awesoem tho, finished with silence and it was a perfect end to a warm up friday for sat - altho we hit it very hard and we suffered the next day after getting to bed at 5 and waking up i nthe baking heat at 8....

The next day we were all f***ed and seriously knew we would be struggling later o nthat night with 14 hours of raving ahead :shock:

We got i nthere and had to wait an hour for the gods tent to be open :x some technical issues needed resolving - while waiting bumped into Briggsy which was cool to meet - sorry i didn't chat for long - got sidetracked!! Got right to the front anyway and O'Bir only got 20 mins!! Managed to get a quick word with him anyway and then saw Hardwick who was ok, but really has never floated my boat the 5 or 6 times ive seen him...

Next tho was what i had seriously been waiting for - A&B, wooo!! They rocked it hard - one of my fav 2 sets of the night, with all 3 of them their doing sum right antics on stage, i love em!! They dropped sum amazing tunes:-

Super8 - Get Off

Planet Funk - Chase The Sun (Vardran Bootleg)

DT8 - Destination (Jono Grant's Orchestral Re-Work) - simply amazing

A&B - Stealing Time (Club Mix)

A&B - Good For Me (Club Mix) - should imagine this or stealing time will be the next release off their video..

This quality bootleg of Rui Da Silva - Touch Me (Mark Eteson told me its apparently Mike Koglin behind it)

Finished with alone tonight with everyone singing along - quality!

During A&B's set i saw al lthe usual anjuna crew and had a chat - i saw frase again and caught up with him once again, but as i was chatting i realised mark eteson was stood behind frase - just b4 i had to go frase grabbed me and introduced me to eteson - what a legend - he not only recognised me off the anjuna board but joked about my swedish thing! Had a proper good chat with hi mabout cherry whip - his tunes, etc etc. Real nice guy - was good to see hi mi nthe crowd too!

Next was the fergster who was recorded for Radio 1 and actually i rather enjoyed his set!!! He was ok and giving sum good interaction from the crowd - hilarious tho when sumone creamed him on the head with a frisbee!! :lol:

Marco V stepped up after fergie and we was considering f***ing off but decided to stay and im bloody happy i did cos his was my favourite set of the whole weekend, dropped - false light, Karl G's Remix of Artic Monkeys which was wierd but cool, and he played such a f***ing cool bootleg of Samba De Jeneiro - so so so so so cool, i need this badly, ahaha!!

This flowed nicely into jules who was his ever excited self loving the huge packed crowd and playing a quality set - finally good top hear a good hour mix of uninterrupted trance, haha. U've seen the tracklist for that so no need to mention the tunes he played... Everyone was loving it and he was spot on.

corsten was next, we decided to go see fatboy instead tho for a while so went o na wonder what i heard was good, but was starting to get very very very tired by this point (and it was only 9.00!)

Went back to gods tent and saw end of ferry - played cubikated and a wikked remix of punk which went down a storm.

Oakenfold was up next and ive heard ppl slagging him off but i thought he pretty damn good actually - played a good range of tunes from prog to banging trance including -

Push - Universal Nation

Solarstone - Seven Cities

But one tune stood out - i knew i recognised it...oit took me ages to figure out what it was but when i did i went mental - it was only Alfa - Sorella!!!!!

Couldn't believe it - the crowd went right off at it, especially as i nthe breakdown they killed the lights completely then slammed em back in when it kicked in...amazing - i have a vid of this - 15,000 ppl all squished i nas it was chucking it down at this point! I think andy was happy to know this when i txt him!!! Sounded simply amazing mate!

anyway...armin stepped up to the decks next and proceeded to really impress me - last time i saw him i found it boring but he was good this time dropping Control Freak - Aalto - 5 (amazing!) Take Me Away, Shivers, Sean Tyas - Lift and loads more - too many to mention... However unfortunately half way thru his set all the lighting cut out...oops!! So it was just he video screens working and then we could see hi mwith an umbrella - tunrs out the tent was leaking and water was dripping o nthe decks...oh dear.. Eventually just before eddie came on they stuck a gazeebo over the decks. Armin had an extended set see nas PVD cancelled - was very wierd as briggsy told me eddie had cancelled (he was o nthe posters but no on the lanyard things) then it was PVD who cancelled and eddie was on...something dodgy going on there i think.

Eddie proceeded to bosh it out with no lights for about an hour b4 they were fixed and was good but not up to his usual standards - played sum cool tunes tho and was doing sum amazing trickery with scratch samples too!

Jules was on again after him, and oh dear - what a f***ing dissapointment. He started off good actually to be fair - altho a couple of mixes were way out he did play sum good tunes - (nathan help me out mate!!) Was going ok then half way thru Ralph Fridge - Send Me An Angel the power to the decks cut out resulting i nno sound for a few mins b4 they got it back on.. Jules started again with Leaving london, played it all the way thru then faded it out and then faded in leaving london o nthe other cdj.....i think that was a major mistake - he then quickly mixed out of it very dodgly into F16 (the worst edit ever) then really that killed it for me really..... We all left shortly after that as we were so so so tired we just had to go.

People were sat on the floor everywhere inside - i think a lot of ppl hit it too hard on friday like us and then suffered big time!

However it was still an amazing weekend, the atmosphere was brilliant and overall it was really epic.

Took us an hour and a half to get out of global i nthe car on sunday afternoon - sat in queue's for ageeees and was very very tired in the heat once again.

A few things over the weekend made me chuckle:-

- Some tunes got absolutely cained:

Red Purple Blue x 4

4 Strings - Take Me Away x 4

Guiseppi Ottaviani - Through Your eyes x 4

Leaving London x 3 (all by jules...lol)

- Packing our tents up on sunday morning to see 3 tents blow past like tumble weed..

- The large number of people asleep on the floor during sat night in various locations

-people clinging to their tents for dear life early sat afternoon as it got very windy..

-Seeing a tent with the poles all collapsed in a heap with a pair of legs sticking out the door..haha!

Rest of my photos are here

http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/stratford-upo...13837/paged/P-1

(i just put a few on here)

6d4ccd6e-7634-4a84-b46c-19e62133c4c6.jpg

a31c4087-948a-414c-837d-fe0384d14baa.jpg

776794d2-91cf-43ab-8d41-8e8e81148f3e.jpg

3144431d-a350-4807-bccd-adc9093a29fe.jpg

bf54812b-5195-4b46-a81a-f93113833a3c.jpg

3bfc4c3b-9af3-4ee8-b1e9-01e2137f22f8.jpg

5c36ebd7-48e1-4be1-b667-73ff59e69317.jpg

fd86dcde-91da-4575-9924-ae3623b1baaa.jpg

75aea3f1-0ff3-45fa-9461-02c4905db877.jpg

fcc16f80-1a75-497e-b91f-cdc77852ae05.jpg

Really good report and pics mate :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that Through Your Eyes got hammered, potentially the best tune of 2006 imo 8-)

Some real good classics in there as well, which is always great to see at a festival.

I've read a few threads on the GK board and there is a lot of talk about the Eddie/PVD situation. It deffo sounds well dodgy. Shame about the rain too, but you would have thought GK would actually make their tents leak-proof :evil: Not good news about Jules playing a poor 2nd set - I still find it odd that he had 2 sets in the same tent :?

All-in-all it sounds like you had a top weekend, but next year, pace yourself :lol::lol:

I'm still writing my review and it'll be up on my site later tonight hopefully. All I will say though is that if i'd have heard "Through your eyes" one more time on Saturday, I think I would have screamed. Armin, Eddie and Jules played it - altogether, 3 times in 3 hours. It really got on my tits. :shock:

I've absolutely no idea what happened to Jules's second set, but something went desperately wrong after his power cut. He played "Leaving London" and then, judging by his reaction, he mixed it in again by accident - so then mixed in "F16" at the earliest convenient place. I'd become a bit disgruntled then so I left. His first set was good though and couldn't be faulted.

Fantastic report. :thumbsup: Many thanks for that. :D

So sorry to hear that Jules's 2nd set went a bit pear shaped. I feel sorry for him as he does try so hard to please the crowds so l should imagine he also felt gutted that he had made a few mistakes.

Quality review Bjorn.

It certainly was a top night. I only went for the Saturday and whilst im gutted I didn't get to see Daft Punk, I was slightly better off coming in fresh to the event on saturday and after a bit of a lag of energy during Ferry's set a couple of Red Bulls got me back on track for Armin.

On arrival into the site I had a walk round the whole site checking out the various arenas but fairly quickly found myself outside the Gods Kitchen tent at a small outdoor stage where the DJ was playing Red Blue Purple by Marco V. Shortly afterwards I met Bjorn who was waiting to get into the God's tent which was delayed in opening by an hour.

Once finally opened I headed straight to the front with Bjorn and friends for Jon O' Bir's short 20 minute set.

I stayed here for Matt Hardwick and the first part of Above & Beyond. A&B were very impressive I have to say but I went for a wonder round for a bit during their set to check out the polysexual arena where Hixxy was meant to be playing a hardcore set (I used to go to hardcore raves on a regular basis and wanted to check this one off set out) however Hixxy was no where to be seen so I quickly returned to catch the end of A&B thoroughly enjoying 'Alone Tonight' singalong at the end.

Fergie was up next with a somewhat different style but some good tunes none the less.

Marco V really surprised me as being a DJ on the night I totally underestimated. His was one of my favourite sets of the night playing quite a mixture of stuff. Alot of the more techy tunes I didn't know were really good.

Was right at the very front again for Jules' live radio 1 broadcast which was another top set and the first of the night where I knew most of the tunes making it all the better for raving to. Hearing Leaving London in that arena was a quality moment for me as its probably my tune of 2006 so far.

Took a short break and sat by the R1 stage at 9 to catch a bit of Fatboy slim and a rest! Then it was back into the main tent for Ferry.

Bjorn's review covers the rest of the night's events well and in fact ive probably repeated alot of stuff but some tunes in Jules second set I can remember before it went tits up:

Marcel Woods - Cherry Blossom (Trance Energy 2006 Mix)... again

4 Strings - Into the Night (Purple Haze Mix)... again

Marco V - Red Blue Purple

Randy Katana - Plastic Fantastic

Manix - 88 to Piano (Fabio Stein Mix)

Memoire - Listen to the Release

Guiseppe Ottaviani - Through Your Eyes

Ralph Fridge - Angel

After Jule's part 2 I stayed for a bit of Mark Eteson's set which started very well with some wicked trance tunes including Sean Tyas - Lift - one of my fav tunes of the night.

I decided to make an early exit at around 5.15 as I was driving straight home and wanted to beat the rush off site but it still took about half an hour to get out of the car park.

All in all a quality night was had. The best sets for me were Marco V, Armin, Eddie Halliwell and Jules' first set. I think I would definately go again... bring on 2007!!

Top stuff mate, quality review, much better than mine!!

We certainly saw sum big names didn't we! We were att he front for hours and hours!!

Was cerainly some suprises too - some for the better, some for the worse..

8-)

I've heard Tiesto's set and I'm really impressed tbh. I didn't recognise much from the TL, but once you get listening, its an awesome set. Durrand's mix of Lethal Industry is great, although it does have a percussion bit similar to Bedrock's For What You Dream Of. Also liked G&D's mix of Float Away 8-)

01 Booka Shade - In White Rooms (Neo Mix)

02 Cygnus X - Orange Theme (Remix)

03 Viridian - Sunhump (Richard Durand Remix)

04 Electro Prompt - Beside Me (Gothek D.C. Remix)

05 Tiesto - Lethal Industry (Richard Durand Remix)

06 Robbie Rivera - Float Away (Gabriel & Dresden Edit)

07 Kay D Smith vs. Marc Tall pr. Passive Resistance - Praiseworthy Tunes (Hoipolloi Mix)

08 Tiesto ft. Maxi Jazz - Dance4Life

09 Ekon - Existence vs. E-Craig - First Time vs. Way Out West - The Fall (Bootleg)

10 Exelios - World of Life (Mac Zimms Remix)

11 Carl B - Social Suicide

12 Klaus Badelt - He's A Pirate (Tiesto Remix)

superb reports there guys - really got a good feeling for the event though it still sounds like a case of UK festivals charging way more than you get money's worth. Not to praise Holland too much cos of my family ties but Dance Valley was less than £65, but not an all-nighter but I have to say, camping at global would finish me off, it's bad enough trying to sleep at V or Glasto but I bet it's even worse at a dance fest, caners everywhere!!! hehe!! :)

I loathe that Gothek DC track with a passion it's awful, pure tripe, other than Tiesto's set looks ok, interested to hear the dance4life track he's made with Maxi Jazz and have also heard that Sander van Doorn will be remixing that one soon :wink:

Hmmm, the BBC give a different TL for Tiesto:

Tiesto

Bookashade 'In White Rooms' (Get Physical)

Unknown 'Unknown' (White Label)

Odysee 'Odysee' (White Label)

Electro Prompt 'Beside Me' (Solar)

Tiesto 'Lethal Industry' (Nebula/Magik Muzik)

Robbie Riveria 'Float Away' (Ultra)

Fonzerelli 'Moonlight Party' (UMM)

Kay D Smith 'Positive Resistance' (White Label)

Tiesto and Maxi Jazz 'Dance for Life' (Nebula/Magik Musik)

Unknown 'Unknown' (White Label)

Unknown 'Autumn Leaves' (White Label)

Carl B 'Social Suicide' (CDR)

Klaus Badelt 'He's a Pirate (Tiesto Remix)' (Disney)

v good review bjorn.....

is that you in one of those pics?

yup, thats me with eteson!

Btw noff - i got it wrong - it was actually sacrosanct that oakie played - still a great tune from Andy - sounded amazing in the gods tent!

Listen for the massssive breakdown in sacrosanct just after 1min on that sample - the lights were blacked out and the atmosphere was amazing!

Sacrosanct:

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servl.../sm?C=CR077&S=A

Sorella 1:

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servl.../sm?C=CR080&S=A

Sorella 2:

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servl.../sm?C=CR080&S=B

Archived