Inessential oakey

JasonB

it does sort of beg the question - how the f*** can he be such a big name dj playing out when he is claerly s***? Everyone listening knows he's s***, all the organisers prob know he is s*** - i wonder if he knows he is s***? :lol:

it does sort of beg the question - how the f*** can he be such a big name dj playing out when he is claerly s***? Everyone listening knows he's s***, all the organisers prob know he is s*** - i wonder if he knows he is s***?  :lol:

He's just living on former glories really, he used to be absolutely class but now just turns up for the money by the looks of things

Oakie's not the only one to be fair though. How many of the other A-listers have gone downhill over the last few years.

Oakie is dire, Tiesto's not the DJ he used to be despite being a former number 1, and even our friend Jules has been hit and miss since around 2001. I think we'll all admit that if we look at Jules in 1999, and look at him now, its like listening to a different DJ.

In the last 90's, Jules's mixing was smooth, long, and each tune complimented each other well. These days, some of his mixing is poor, most are short mixes, and some of the tunes he mixes together are random.

Although not my cup of tea from a style and tune point of view, Armin is in a class of his own when it comes to mixing, set contruction, etc. He should be the number 1 DJ out of all the Trance DJ's.

The change that Jules has made compared to Oakie is incomparable though.

Oakenfold just sticks a tune in, not even beatmatched, then quickly mixes it in to the current one in about 10 seconds.

Dreadful, dreadful stuff that I would have been ashamed of even 3 or 4 years ago! Jules would never let himself get that bad!

Oh no, definately! Jules can still mix OK on his day. To be honest, I don't think it'd Jules's beatmatching that lets him down. Most of the time, its him mixing tunes together that clash, etc.

Back in the 90's, each tune fitted well with the incoming tune, but these days, Jules doesn't seem to spend as much time worrying about the technical aspect of it.

Actually, If I recall, didn't Jules have a bit of a dig at Oakenfold last year via the media? Jules was out on one of his "casual" clubbing nights in Ibiza, and Oakenfold happeneded to be playing.

Jules didn't name him directly, but from what Jules said, a lot of people worked out that it was Oakenfold playing at the venue named and the time stated.

Jules said it was one of the worst and most boring sets he'd ever heard.

When I was in Ibiza me and a friend was in the record shop in the westend. Oakey was in there as well. he was flicking through house, funky house, trance and techno tune. not really sticking to any thing. the comments he was coming of to his chum were rather funny!

"that choon is for old dance ppl"

we hadnt a clue what he was on about! Glad i didnt hear his mix!

Oakie is dire, Tiesto's not the DJ he used to be despite being a former number 1, and even our friend Jules has been hit and miss since around 2001. I think we'll all admit that if we look at Jules in 1999, and look at him now, its like listening to a different DJ.

I couldn't agree more wholesomely (if that's a word)...

It's also the change of dance music generally as a genre; it had to move on but personally I'm happy remembering the Jules of 1998-2001. In fact, that's why I came on this board to chat with old folk with memories 8-)

Oakie was pretty good in 98/99, he used to mix it up a bit then, mind, but the tunes around at the time were so good that it didn't matter.

Has Oakenfold been geivn an MBE? I wouldnt even lend him my breastplate, let alone Knight him :(

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Oakey's mixing has suffered over the past few years. Saw him in Ibiza last year however and he played one of the best sets I heard out there. Outplayed Armin van Buuren on his own night!

Saw him at Global this year and was disappointed at how he'd let his mixing slip to how it was when i saw him at Creamfields in 2004. Didn't bother going to the Radio 1 night this year, heard the Oakey mix when I got back, and was satisfield I'd saved myself 60 euros.

I can't understand why he is still getting paid by promotors and the like, he's be crap for ages.

Although my best memory is of him playing in a small bar in Kingston in 95 or 96 called Mas y Mas, and he just totally blew the place apart, only 80-100 people in there, decks on the end of the bar, totally stunning.

Archived