ID Cards

bigsteve

For or against ID cards?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In Spain they are compulsory, and you use them to identify yourself in everything - going to hospital, buying beverages, the lot.

Thing is though, I don't see any way in how they can improve things here in the UK; clearly it will open up new forging market like there always is with these things (such as passports, documents etc).

What is meant to be the main point in them, anyway?

I don't like the idea, personally; governments can already find out enough about a person if they really need to, it just gives them more control...

Have they read Animal Farm?

Too true. And its gonna be £75 or so. Why should we have to spend that on something the government is forcing us to have. You won't even have to carry it with you, so what's the point? An all-in-one card that does everything - I'd hate to lose the darn thing :D

Such low success rates on the iris and fingerprint recognition too! Even worse for older and disblaed people.

Also, I heard some figures on C4 last night. There are currently 44m UK passports. The government are planning 70 UK places where you can register for a card and it takes 8 minutes to do one card. At that rate, about 1m people can be seen a year, therefore its 44 years to do everyone :D:D

Even worse for older and disblaed people.

having a Jacey B moment there! :D

That's hilarious the amount of time it'd take to do ID cards for everyone.

Clearly it's on the agenda though if it's on the news again - they won't do it just yet, but eventually they'll slip it in.

Well I mean, I think it's a good idea in principle, because it functions ok in other countries, but here it's a different story with the costs and no obvious benefits - what's the point? What will it help?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived