Jules R1 28/10/06

JasonB

Bodyrox vs Grandmaster Flash – ‘The Message is Yeah’ (White Label)

Sharam – ‘Party All The Time’ [Tocadisco Mix] (Data)

Pate No. 1 – ‘Shining Star’ [ben Macklin Mix] (Kontor)

Funky Tried And Tested

Francesco Diaz & X-Static – ‘I’m Standing 06’ (Musica Diaz Senorita)

Outwerk Feat. Mr Gee – ‘Electro’ [Robbie Rivera Mix] (Defected)

Unknown - ‘Ricksick’ (White Label)

Medcab – ‘The Roof’ (White Label)

One For The Weekend – Trophy Twins Choice

Ryan Mergatroyd – ‘Funk Country’ [Micky Slim's Mix] (White Label)

Fatboy Slim – ‘Champion Sound’ [sPF Mix] (Skint)

Yer Man – ‘Work It’ (Mena Music)

Robbie Rivera – ‘Shout’ [Marco V Rework] (Juicy Music)

ADT – ‘Hear You Calling’ (White Label)

DJ Jose – ‘Steppin Into The Beat’ (Data)

20:00

Bangin’ Tried And Tested

Pax Royale – ‘There’s Always Music’ (Fraction Records)

Fatboy V – ‘Star Blue’ (White Label)

Punkadelic – ‘Rockin’ [Marco V Remix] (White Label)

Cara Dillon & 2 Devine – ‘Black Is The Colour’ (Coco & Green Mix)(Anjunabeats)

Public Domain – ‘I Feel Love’ [bart Claessen Mix] (Feverpitch)

Ronski Speed – ‘The Space’ (Euphonic Germany)

Back To The Old School

Fragma – ‘Toca Me’ (X-Over)

The Saturday Night Mix

K. Sheehan – ‘Turbulence Instantly Created’ (White Label)

Joop – ‘The Future’ (High Contrast)

Cosmic Gate – ‘Earth Mover’ (Maelstrom)

BT – ‘Sonmambulist’ [Mark Norman Mix] (White Label)

The Last Dance

DT8 Project – ‘Hold Me’ (Mondo)

Didn't think much of this show. :thumbsdown:

Neither did I, too much bllepy electro shat. As for the 2nd hour being more banging - well, both this week and last week, i've heard funky tunes being played until about 8.15pm.

Todays show never really saw any banging tracks until the mix at the end.

Tonight's show was pre-recorded, which explains the System F / Toca me error. They obviously had 2 "alternate endings" for it, and 2 "alternate tracklistings" to boot. Made up statistics and caller names also then, obviously! Not for the first time....

That Marco V vs. Fatboy track was yours, Christian, wasn't it? Was heavily edited, down to about 2 minutes of playing time on the show!!!!

Good to see my mate Maarten getting a T&T with his Pax Royale collab / artist project. :-)

Have to say I didn't listen, rarely do these days. Surely the Ronski Speed tune should be 'The Space We Are.'

Really poor TL; maybe hastily put together as Jules is out of the country. Maybe when this is the case, Eddie should be given his slot to prepare him for the inevitable replacement of Jules in the future :?

Yeah, I agree about the mash-ups - I was actually thinking the same a few weeks ago. OK, some are quality, but some are piss poor. Some are blatantly poor quality too because the bass sounds mushy and the hi's sound tinny - Jules should not be playing anything below 256kbps quality MP3's in my opinion.

There are so many quality labels that Jules either fails to support, or gives very little support - Somatic Sense, Discover, Baroque, etc, spring to mind. Sean Tyas - Lift, and O' Callaghan & Kearney - Exactly were amazing tunes this year, yet Jules didn't support either - instead, he supported a few dodgy mash-ups that are never going to see the light of day. Its fine playing them in clubs, but why support a track that is NEVER going to be released on the radio - it kind of defeats the object of having a radio show to promote tunes.

Out of a 2 hour show, we had a 10 minute cut up girls mix, a classic tune, and two bootlegs that are never going to be released - in my opinion, thats 30 minutes of time that could be used supporting other tracks that WILL be released.

Was Jules's show definately recorded tonight? In the past when Jules has been in America, he's used the Serius Radio studios to broadcast live from. Sometime's you can tell when a show has been recorded because there's a slight reduction in volume between the other two shows - but I didn't get that impression tonight.

If it was recorded and Radio 1 are inviting people to text in to vote for a tune, then surely that could have legal complications should someone want to be arsey about it - its basically false advertising.

That's not quite what I meant. But there are too many. Plenty of good original productions don't get radio support cos the shows are filled with mash-ups.

I cant help but feel ye guys are targetting me, especially you mouse?? Is it coz jules isnt playing 'obstruction' or wa coz thats the impression im getting from you. Fair enough my stuff isnt A1 or probably wont ever get a release but I just do it for my own sets and to get my name out there just like you tried to do with 'twist u'.. I do agree that he should be supporting up and coming artists more but on the other hand he has helped so many artists break through in the last few years, jan loper, fabio, and recently paul webster.. Do you think that he'd play mashups over new productions he likes on radio?? I dont think so, he obviously likes the mashups and they must work in clubs for him to be playing them on the show.. Some of the new stuff from up and coming djs must not appeall to him basically then or else he'd be playing them over the 'dodgy' mashups and 'edits', dont ya think? :?

Calm down guys!

Im pretty sure dormouse was actually referring to the star 69 booty, which for the record is NOT christians bootleg as i asked christian to make a copy after hearing jules play star 69 at crasher. Also - christians version is 10 time sbetter than the one julesis playing, hahah!

Im pretty sure dormouse was actually referring to the star 69 booty, which for the record is NOT christians bootleg as i asked christian to make a copy after hearing jules play star 69 at crasher. Also - christians version is 10 time sbetter than the one julesis playing, hahah!

Yeah I can confirm that Jules is not playing Christian's mashup. Bjorn and I heard the one Jules is playing at Crasher and it got a great reaction though we thought it had been very poorly put together so I sent Christian the accapella and we asked him to have a go and the result is alot lot better.

I listened and didn't mind theshow it was okay, but liked it last week more.

The Marco V/SF un was a bit pointless if its actually that short! I though jules was trying to cram more tracks it possibley but still...

As for bootlegs I heard one during the show and...err.. what the hells it callledd.. i can't even remember the vocals, but I liked it.

I wish jules would play more proper house stuff like hes used to rather than loads of electroery stuff, given somes good but somes a bit too off for me.

Well, without repeating myself, all I can say is that Jules and Radio 1 desperately need to sort out his show. We don't need the Cut Up Girls for 10 minutes, we don't need the classic track with rigged voting - include it in a mix and catch us by surprise instead, and stop running over 8pm with electro gash - Electro isn't "banging" - its s***. We're not hearing Trance now til nearly 8.30pm now and its not right.

As for the bootlegs, well, out of all those played yesterday, only one was good enough to be supported by an A-list DJ - and that was "Turbulence Instantly Created" - the rest were shocking - especially the very first funky tune with the rnb lyric. I'm sorry, but that would only be "cool" to a 17 year old girl that's chavving it round Birmingham in her bright pink, heavily modded Vauxhall Nova - no respectable DJ would play that in a club.

And I could go on all day about shoddy edits. OK, I can understand some tunes being edited - but Jules edits almost every one he recieves (and some quite poorly). There's no need to edit every single tune. Jules's reason for editing tracks is because "it makes his set more compact" - but I disagree. If he plays a really stunning tune, we want to hear it for as long as possible and not just 4 minutes of it. If Jules thinks that he needs to edit every track, then its either because he gets bored of tunes and can't wait 7 minutes for it to play fully (in which case, that would suggest he's not feeling his tunes as much these days and probably isn't enjoying the job - so should he still be doing it?), or because a tune isn't getting a good reaction o the dance floor for 7 minutes - so if thats the case, that would suggest its a weak tune that he shouldn't be supporting at all.

I'm pretty sure the Jules of 1999/2000 wouldn't touch half of the stuff he plays now. His standards appear to have dropped a little :(

The bottom line is that Jules doesn't have a trance orientated radio show any longer and thats why I've stopped listening  Maybe his music taste has changed

Or maybw trance is dying out, think about it - it hasnt prgressed much over the last few years, it was at its best during 1999 - 2002, since then its all the same IMO, I am so bored of what we call 'trance' nowadays, nothing sounds new and original anymore.. Whether you like it or not electro bleepy stuff and techy tracks is where I believe its at at the mo.. I wish some1 would progress trance into something new and fresh for todays audiences but it just doesnt look like its gonna happen does it.. And at Briggsy, Have you e-mailed jules your views on his show yet?? Every week you seem displeased about his show :?

Trance dying out? I don't beleive that myself, theres good stuff of all genres out there if you look for it imo, fair enough if you disagree with me and think trance has gone stale....

The Grandmaster Flash/bodyrox jobby is good but I'm fed up with bodyrox as it is so that doesnt help.

I've not emailed Jules about his show because, lets face it, one persons opinion of his show isn't going to do much when there are millions tuning in and not complaining. A bunch of us complained to radio 1 earlier in the year about the new format of his show, but that came to nothing. At the end of the day, Radio 1 do what they like - they've never listened to listener feedback. For as long as they can broadcast under their OFCOM terms and keep taking our license money, then they're happy.

can you honestly say that Trance has progressed anywhere in the last few years?? If so id like to see some examples coz to me it all sounds the same..  :?

I'd disagree completely. Trance, in my opinion, is more diverse than ever before. The quality of production in 1999/2000 was the best for sure - but 2006 has been the best for Trance since then. We've had some quality productions out this year! The major difference between now and 1999/2000 is that the diversity of Trance wasn't as wide as it is now.

We've now got the minimal side of Trance from the likes of Andy Moor, the Progressive Trance side of things from Markus Schulz and Gabriel & Dresden, The floaty vocal Trance from Matt Hardwick & Above & Beyond, The Electro-Trance sound from Ferry Corsten, The bouncy bassline stuff from the likes of Kristoff Chochlow & Jan Loper, The darker side of Tech-Trance from Sander Van Doorn & Gareth Emery, the funkier side of Tech-Trance from Marcel Woods & Fabio Stein, The Tribal-Trance sound from Randy Katana, the Hard-Trance sound from Ralph Novell, F&W, Martin Roth and then the stuff thats very much bordering Techno from people like Fred Baker. Never before has Trance been so broad - in fact, i'd say its one of the best genres at the moment for having such a wide choice.

Compare a Markus Schulz set to a Jules set, and then compare them both to a Marco V set, and then say that Trance all sounds the same :wink:

Archived