Best/worst vocals of all time on a track?

Neuro

As you all know, I have an unhealthy obsession with instrumental mixes of tracks, and shudder at the need for commercial labels to throw a crap vocal on top of a perfectly good instrumental track to make it "chart-worthy"... ...but in some cases the vocals (whether in the original or not) are just inspired... like Jan Johnston on the original mix of Freefall & 'Skydive', for instance....

Any favourites or bad ones? Voice them here :D

a brand new track actually - Markus Schulz - Without You Near (Alex Morph Remix) theres a dub too, the track is just dead with no vocals, really add to the lift of the tune!

Some good old classic ones, plus newer ones like Above & Beyond - Good For Me!

All of the vocals added to 4 Strings tunes were pointless and spoilt perfectly good tracks.

Motorcycle - "As The Rush Comes" als has a cringeworthy vocal.

I don't think the vocal on Cara Dillon vs 2Devine - Black Is The Colour suits it particularly well either. A dub mix should have been available for definate.

I'm with you Tim - I hate vocals unless they're absolutely necessary. If a tune works well as a dub, then leave it be. Thats my opinion anyway.

As I'm sure you're all aware I'm an Instrumental fan for the most part, but saying that when a vocal is good I usually absolutely love it.

One of the best vocal tunes that I've had the pleasure to play this year has been Noel Sanger ft. Dauby 'Forget' (Tarkan & V-Sag Remix) the vocal is sublime, not sure whether it will ever get a release unfortunately due to label politics.

There are too many piss poor vocals to mention, BITC vocal annoys me and the vocal on Armin ft. Racoon is awful

Starchaser "Jambe Myth" was a great tune as an instrumental and was ruined (IMO) when vocals were added and it became "Love will Set You Free"  As with 4 Strings "Into The Night" l prefer the instrumental version.

Yeah forgot about that track chrissie Starchaser "Jambe Myth" wat a tune

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Woods' track tend to get ruined by vox too...

I am fairly sure that, "If You Want Me" was initially titled "If" - Imogen Bailey did the vox for that tune.

Solex also got ruined and re-name to "Solex - Close to the Edge".

Agreed, Tiesto's take on Oaky's Souther Sun is still awesome :) I think Cara Dillon track with vox works well too.

Yeh it was originally "If".

The new rap influenced lyrics doing the rounds only work if in a bootleg situation, Mason and Yeah Yeah seriously ruined....tho I am guilty of slapping Missy Elliot on top of Corderoy!

There is a un-voxed version of Angelic - It's My Turn...

Solex also got ruined and re-name to "Solex - Close to the Edge".

this is a great example. Im so glad i got the original on white label before the official release mixes were done. More recent examples: bodyrox - yeah yeah, mason - exeeder.. the instrumentals were good at first but even they were overplayed.. now they are prolonged even more with vocal mixes to get them into the charts!!

some vocal tunes however work really well for me, adding to the hairs on the back of the neck factor!! such as Angelic - Stay With Me, DT8 Project - Hold Me Til The End, Team SR - Leaving London, and one of my all time favourites Smudge & Smith - Near Me.

Bodyxrox was originally an instrumnetal? news to me! I'm pretty sure it had male vocals originally! then everyone started hammering D ramirez's Mix which happened to use no vocals untill those awful chavvy vocals were slapped on it.

As much as I like princess superstar, slapping her over Exceeder hasnt amused me at all, it works but I don't like it.

As much as I like princess superstar, slapping her over Exceeder hasnt amused me at all, it works but I don't like it.

I agree with you all the way on this one.

Who is Princess Superstar, and is she one of the girls on the video :?:

sorry my reference to bodyrox should have stated I was talking about the D.Ramirez mix. Perhaps these tunes weren't the best examples but I couldn't think of many tunes at the time, had a bit of a mental block, lol. I'm more into trance anyway but I did like some of the electro stuff this year when i first heard them without vocals way before they became commercial.

Tim I do have Smudge & Smith Translucid Vocal mix 1... spent a long time hunting this one down!

No she isnt in the video, the video is MOS typical teenage boys fantasy with loads of lads mags women in it, yawn!.

Princess Superstar is a US female rapper, she set up her own label to put out her early stuff, she also dj's and has done some mashups.

I have her last two albums and she is a clever rapper, she was called the female eminem but has never risen to the heights as Em sadly.

http://www.princesssuperstar.com/lowdown/bio.shtml

Perfect was a single in its own right and I find it disgraceful that her vocals have just been wacked on the top of exceeder when Perfect in its own right is a better track the Michie Lange mixes are quality too.

Archived