Good labels that vanished.....

Briggsy

Whilst converting my vinyl to CD, a few labels have jumped out at me as being really good, but not with us any more. What labels did you used to like that are no longer with us? I used to love:

AM:PM

M:Bargo

VC recordings

FFrr

Incentive

Liquid Asset

CodeBlue

Fog Area Trance

Serious (pre-cheese 2002)

ID&T (OK, not strictly gone, but it was good anyway)

Good thread. And good list... Hooj Choons were excellent for me, although I gather they're making a comeback this year? I loved their no-nonsense covers as well.

I miss all the back catalogue of Bonzai too. They'd make a shedload of money if someone bothered to sell the older stuff digitally.

Hooj Choons! How did I miss that out!

Cheeky was also a good label (home of Faithless), and Nukleuz Green pre-2002 was also a good label (I remember Jules saying on one of his old Friday shows that Nukleuz Green was his favourite label back then (that was around 2000ish I think).

I agree with Bonzai too! Probably the most consistent Trance label ever!

Hooj Choons is back just as digital now though.

M Bargo lasted 4 releases, each brilliant and each I has.

FFRR was fantastic Tong we salute youola for what he did from 88 til he left in 2001 I think it was.

Incentive still exists even though its ministry owned.

Additive

Platapus

Additive was a quality offshoot label. The best two on that label were Da Hool - Eichelruck and Ralph Fridge - Angel.

I think Platipus is still going, but their tunes are few and far between. They always were a bit hit and miss with their releases though. You'd not see anything for a year, and then there'd be three releases in three weeks - a bit like how Maelstrom are now.

I never knew Ralph Fridge - Angel was on Additive... cant find it on Discogs but never mind.

The old Nukleuz Green stuff was by far my favourite label in 2000.

Manifesto was pretty cool - York - OTB/Reaches of Civilisation and The Awakening of course.

Spot On

Xtravaganza

Rennaisance

Data (when it was good e.g. Prototype - Soundpiercing, Electrique Boutique - Revelation, Dial M For Moguai - Bang the Drum/King of Rock etc)

Additive (Da hool - eichelruck, fragma - toca me (In Petto), dj sandy vs. housetrap - overdrive, red light district - did you hear me etc)

Closet

Serious

Hooj Choons

Incredible Traxx (INCtraxx)

Cream

Inferno

I never knew Ralph Fridge - Angel was on Additive... cant find it on Discogs but never mind.

The old Nukleuz Green stuff was by far my favourite label in 2000.  

Manifesto was pretty cool - York - OTB/Reaches of Civilisation and The Awakening of course.

Spot On

Xtravaganza  

Rennaisance

Data (when it was good e.g. Prototype - Soundpiercing,               Electrique Boutique - Revelation, Dial M For Moguai - Bang the Drum/King of Rock etc)

Additive (Da hool - eichelruck, fragma - toca me (In Petto), dj sandy vs. housetrap - overdrive, red light district - did you hear me etc)

Closet

Serious

Hooj Choons

Incredible Traxx (INCtraxx)

Cream

Inferno

How coincidental how we were talking about sum old labels the other day mate!!

Deffo some that have sadly dissapeared - incentive - i saw a release just the other day on juno, sum s***ty euro cheese tho :?

Sems that some labels just have a shelf life, i think its hitting them more these days with the digital era as anyone can set up their own label, therefore the main labels aren't so huge anymore.

Think that many of the old labels tried to hard to go mainstream & lost their core fan base, Data, Incentive etc.

Most labels now seem to be subsiduary labels, Armada has got about 15 labels & counting, Zouk started last month

Bonzai is still around - http://www.bonzaimusic.com

www.lightningrecords.be used to be my favourite site ever! Was so good for upfront tunes, must have been around 6-7 years ago when i used to use it now.

Yeah, Bonzai Recordings (under Lightning) and all its subsidaries went bust a few years ago - but then reappeared under Bonzai Music. All the stuff pre 2003 that was just released on vinyl is hard to get now though, and that includes Bonzai UK, Camouflage, XTC, etc :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nukleuz Green how good was that label wen buying a Nukleuz Green record u always new u were getting an excellent Tune. Aaaa i miss goin out buying vinyl i always enjoyed it now its just a case of d/loading tunes takes the Excitement rite out of it :cry:

this is what i was saying to a mate the other day. Going to the local shop, not know what tunes were gonna be there. In a geeky way it was kind of like going into an Aladdins cave. Not to mention the amount of networking you could do with the guy behind the counter and other peeps in the shop etc... Sometimes i wish i could uninvent CDJs - although technically they are amazing and i love mine, i'd rather go back to basics and just have everyone go back to vinyl and the very sexy SL1200's. There was more character in it and a whole lot more love.

Nukleuz Green was THE label of 99 and 2000. Nukleuz red also used to put out the odd good release too.

I liked the odd few nukleuz uns to buy em, although I didn't mind a lot of em a few releases that were cained lack a lot to me.

Hooj are back under ben Lost i think? and its all new remixes of old tracks, some are good but Leamas mix of Greece 2000 hmmm, no...

Archived