PVD playin the piano at the arches.....

Craig

He's blatently not playing that keyboard. Thats been pre-recorded - and judging by the way he's moving his hands such short distance to cover such a large scale of notes at times, i'd say he can't play the keyboard either.

At first, it looks fairly convincing, but then as the tune goes on, the hand rhythm's and note coverage don't match the tune -watch it again and see what I mean!

i agree with Briggsy...

even though i don't have much knowledge in the art of piano playing, i'd say he is faking it... a part of it anyway.

First.. That tune needs a much bigger keyboard... second, the way he holds his arms & hands looks weird.

On a sidenote though, im pretty sure PvD can play the piano... in his studio ;)

I've managed to watch the vid now and I'm not convinced he's actually playing it. I can't believe he would try and fake it, but it doesn't look very genuine I have to say. And I thought I could hear the piano playing after he'd 'finished.' Who knows :unsure:

also his hands always seem to be in the same place moving up and down rather than across covering different notes. :mellow:

Yeah, thats what I meant about his note coverage. The tune has high notes followed by low notes, but PvD's hands don't move across the keyboard enough to represent such drastic changes.

If he is faking it, I don't think its very good for the industry because, if people do realsie he's faking it, then people might also start to question whether "live" acts such as Giuseppe Ottaviani and K90 are genuine too. If people think Giuseppe Ottaviani and K90 are faking it, people aren't going to pay good money to see them - even though they could be genuine.

When DJ's are earning as much as PvD, they should do everything live. We're paying them to work, not play something they've played elsewhereloads of times before. I couldn't go in to work on Thursday and hand in the same piece of work that I did on Wednesday and still expect to get paid for it, so why should they...

Shame I can't listen to audio in this internet cafe - I'd be able to tell right away! ;)

It might not be what we know as a standard keyboard; they're quite tech these days - I'm sure with these mini boxes of tricks you can program in a sequence of notes, loop it, and then simply change the key in which that sequence is played through one touch of a key... although you'd need to know your sht with regards to chord changes / bassline so that you change chord at the right times. Additionally, you just ajust the chord change whenever you want and it can do it at the start of the next bar (since most dance music is in 4/4 time), therefore he doesn't have to be exact in his timing when changing chords or key. Would love to check this clip out properly!

Was he using a laptop?

He uses that to play Freecell when he plays his pre-recorded set :lol:

By the way, incase anyone's not noticed, I don't really rate PvD - I think he's the most over-hyped and over-rated out of all the Trance DJ's. Armin isn't my cup of tea musically, but when it comes to set building, flow, tune selection and enthusiasm, Armin leaves the others standing. I can't understand why he's got such a massive following, yet not been ranked number 1 yet.

Maybe this year cud b Armins year briggsy. ;) I must say im not into dj"s using laptop"s its abit s*** like <_<

In a way, I hope Armin doesn't get it. Out of the "big three" (Tiesto, PvD, Armin), Armin is the only one that has remained down to earth and not disappeared up his own arse or gone off to play a set at the olympics, the world cup finals or Bruce Forsyths birthday party. I would like to think that Armin wouldn't let it get to his head if he became number 1 (he doesn't seem that sort) - but I wouldn't like to risk it. I think, deep down, most Trance fans know he's technically the best Trance DJ out there by a mile anyway.

I agree mate about laptop "DJ'ing" mate. DJ'ing to me is all hands-on stuff - and exactly as the name suggests - disc jockeying. HDJ'ing (Hard Disc Jockeying) doesn't have the same ring to it somehow.

Could you just imagine it now? (picture the scene) - You're DJ'ing (sorry, HDJ'ing...) at Turnmills and you've got a brand new 2007 remix of Gouryella - Gouryella to play. Just as you want to play it, Windows XP pops up a window saying "To install the upgrade to Gouryella 2007 from Gouryella v1.0, Windows needs to re-start. Click OK to reboot or cancel for Windows to ignore your request and reboot anyway...... :blink::blink:

I agree with the laptop argument, to me it takes everything away that is djing, look at the dj's who have gone to laptops, for example, Adam Sheridan was really good when he was first on the scene, but over the last few years since he's converted to laptop his mixing to me has gone down hill as well as the sound being poor.

Sometimes it sounds like the tracks are thrown together rather mixed, sound quality also doesn't seem as good.

Archived