Global Gathering 2007

Glad that those who went had a good time. Made the choice not to go this year as I believe that musically it wasn't nearly as strong as last year's event and previous Globals. They seemed to employ a greater emphasis on production rather than music from reports I've heard. Personally, I'm bored of the old Faithless/Groove Armada/Bassment Jaxx live performances as they just re-hash old tunes mainly which lets face it sound much better on the original 12" or CD! Once you've seen them play live once, really you need never see them again in my opinion. Who honestly cares about the Red Arrows or all the extraneous crap - it is what it is, a dance music festival, not a f***ing airshow! I hope that the number of chavs hasn't increased compared to last year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I'm bored of the old Faithless/Groove Armada/Bassment Jaxx live performances as they just re-hash old tunes mainly which lets face it sound much better on the original 12" or CD! Once you've seen them play live once, really you need never see them again in my opinion. Who honestly cares about the Red Arrows or all the extraneous crap - it is what it is, a dance music festival, not a f***ing airshow! I hope that the number of chavs hasn't increased compared to last year.

Here, here. I think there are far more live acts other than the above that would rock a stadium event. Most people (apart for their fanatics) would only recognise and relate to their hits. Its a shame that we have to rely on these acts festival after festival.

As for the red arrows?? I'm cluless on that one.

Right, where on gods earth do i start??

Before i get started on global i'll just run you through my week before that as it was nuts!

Left my house on wed morning to go to my missus' sisters wedding near Cambridge. About an hour after i set off my girlfriend rang me to tell me her mum had fallen over & broken her arm. s***. I had to call in at Cambridge to pick her up from hospital. I had to wait 2 hours for her, we ended up arriving about 15 mins b4 the wedding (i would have arrived 3 hours before had i not got her) - i then had to find our hotel, i got lost, finally found it then chucked my suit on and seriously ragged it over to the church, made it as my gf (bridesmade) & bride were pulling up - very tight! Wicked wedding anyway - got totally battered on free booze at the reception. Left there on thurs morning to drop my gf at her dad's in north london, then i had to go into london to sort my passport out which on wed morning i had suddenly realised had expired....!! PAssport sorted i left my gf at her dad's to go off on hol and set off back to Sheffield. Traffic was an absolute nightmare - took me 4 hours to get to sheff to my mate Eric's house where 15 of us met up to have a pre-global session! Obviously we got battered and felt so rough friday morning, but we set off to global none-the-less in convoy. 4 of my mates were going to Ibiza straight after global so we had to squeeze 4 cases in the cars as well as our global stuff...nightmare!!! We called at my mates girlfriends near global to drop the cases to be picked up after global on route to Gatwick...

We finally arrived at global at about 2.30...not too bad we thought compared to previous years, but the queue was fooking HUGE! joined the back then another group of mates rang us to say they were much further down, so 2 by 2 we went and joined them - about 2 hours later we were in, yey! Trudged to find another group of mates who had saved us a massive space to pitch all our posse! Got all sorted and headed to the arena to get in about 6.

We walked to the arena entrance (in my trainers as i had f***ed my ankles wearing welly's with no socks walking to global from the car, It was muddy but not raining) to find a rediculous amount of ppl emassed around the entrance - apparently they had power problems and were not allowed to let anyone in until it was sorted. At about 6.30 they let us in....missed Micky Slim grr... We headed straight to the Radio 1 stage to see Tong...and this was one of the highlights of the whole weekend - he was f***ing amazing! Tune after tune after tune - im really warming to my house at the mo, proper love it :thumbsup:

Watched all of Tong then we stayed to see Carl Cox - again - absoloutly amazing, the guys wicked, totally brilliant! We then stayed to watch Faithless as well who were spot on, really good. Went for a sit down with my mate near the mixmag tent where Switch was supposed to be on, but nothing was going on so we sat down. Suddenly D.Ramirez started :blink: so we had a good rave to that - absolute filth he played!! Next we went to see Calvin Harris - 3rd time i've seen him and he is class to watch live - he was also absolutely twatted which made for amusing viewing even tho were at the very front stood in a good 6 inches of smelly water! Went on a wonder round a few places after that to see Yoda's DVJ set - just boggles the mind that does, god knows how he does it! Saw Some of Roger Sanchez who was awful - ballsed up every mix i heard, then went and saw Oakenfold finish who was for once pretty good - dropped 'Suru' & Daniel Kandi - Make Me Believe which was good :)

We then headed off back to the tents to carry on getting battered, god knows what time i fell alseep but i was ever so slightly worse for wear!

Woke up about 9am on sat cos of the heat - it was sooooo hot! We then killed the time wondering around the campsite and drinking heavily until 2.00pm when we eagerly marched over to the arena (in my wellies with loads of plasters on my ankles!) We all headed straight to Radio 1 stage to see Trophy Twins, who were not playing :huh: (nice 1 Gods!) so we went to see Dave Pearce instead - who was respectable but a bit dull. Anyway, the next Dj was as class as he has been all the other times i saw him....Marcel!

He absoloutly went for it, tech fest B) Tunes he played i can remember:

Lemon Tree (first of 4 plays for the night)

Get The Kleenex

Don't Tar Me With The Same Brush

U2 - Beautiful Day (Marcel Woods Remix)?? nath??

After he had finished me & a couple mates headed back to the tents as my feet were in absoloute agony from the welly's & my mate Eric suddenly realised he didn't have his contacts lenses in and couldn't see f*** all the retard! - changed back into my muddy, wet trainers, haha! Came back to find our crew gone from Gods tent, but Eddie was on next so we stayed - they all turned up again after a while.

Eddie played the best set i have ever seen from him...I didn't stop dancing once, the energy of the music was rediculous - he was pulling out some amazing mixes, layering basslines and as nath said - seriously scratching it up - stupidly good. He dived in the crowd as well, mint!

Best tunes i heard him play were probably Lemon Tree & FDV6 as nathan said. Prob the second best set i saw all weekend i reckon - certainly put a smile on my face.

We then stayed again for Jules who as usual ripped it up. Good mixing and showmanship - but the same same same tunes tained it a bit for me personally. Quality as ever tho, Jules never fails to keep me going :thumbsup: Altho he did put a massive smile on mine & nathan's faces by playing Shadow Hearts as we both really liek this tune and it's the first time i've heard it out ^_^ .

We then went for a wonder to see some alternative Dj's - saw Ingrosso & Angello for a bit who were again filthy! Then went over to see the Jaxx who were well good - stupid amount of people there as well in huge puddles as the rain had started to pour exactly the same as last year - i thought it was hilarious personally - the mud was great fun!

Headed back to the Global tent to see Armin's last hour who as ever was tight as anything. Then on to PVD - and i have to seriously agree with Nathan here - we got quite close to the front and it was so rammed it was unbelievable. So hot and it seemed like everyone in the whole tent chose us to walk in front of....never mind. The people climbing the towers was funny until PVD cut the music...TWATS. After 10 mins they got down...Eventually about 10 of my mates decided they were getting too pissed off (and i had to agree) so we made a move to see the end of Armand Van Helden & then.......and i mean THEN (this was the biggest suprise of the weekend) Fedde Le Grand!

I have to say - that guy seriously surpassed my expectations, and i had heard excellent reviews previous. Tune after tune after tune after tune - we were feeling a bit tired by this point and he was just what we needed! Put a right bounce in our step! After his set we headed back over to Global tent for the final stint... A&B + SVD!!!

Caught the final few tunes of Ferry: LEF & Bulldozer (3rd time it was played - Eddie, Jules)

Then on with A&B. We stood about half way back this time & had loads of space to dance, and were also on a slight bump so we could see over the whole crowd. Looked like a concert with the excellent lighting display - almost had a tear in my eye it made me that happy! Aint seen A&B for quite a while and they seemed as fresh as ever - obviously sticking to a lot of anjuna stuff as usual but i love it so no worries there.

Oceanic, Razorfish, One Night in Tokyo, Suru, Daniel Kandi - Make Me Believe, Can't Sleep....list goes on but they were all amazing.

So onto the final set - Sander Van Doorn... Briggs will come on here and say that his set was average at best but i CANNOT disagree more. In my opinion this guy is phenomenal - his mixing was so so so tight and flawless....and his tunes...well i can't even begin to describe! Only a few i recognised - but every single other, and i mean every single other tune were out of this world. If you love you tech like me then i think you would have died a happy man after his set... As tired as we all were at 5am his set got every single one of us going for it big time. It was also excellent as almost all of our crowd managed to find each other for this final hour - must have had 20 mates around me all smashing it out to the dirtiest dirtiest dirtiest tech i have ever heard - i can't begin to say how big the smile on my face was throughout his set.

For those reasons his set was the best of the whole weekend - a joke, an absoloute joke! It wasn't by much tho as pretty much every set i saw was soooo good: Carl Cox, Tong, FLG, Eddie, Marcel, A&B were all absoloutly superb, they really were.

Sadly that was the end so we trudged back to the tents to carry on as much as we could before i finally passed out at some point from complete exaustion! The next part of my report then begins...

B4 that, here's a summary:

Set of Global: SVD

Tune of Global: SVD - Riff: Played 4/5 times - SVd dropped it as the encoure at the end - pure ecstacy.

Funniest moment of Global: Walking around in the mud, in the dark, absolutly leathered slipping and sliding all over the place - i couldn't stop laughing!

We finally left global at around 1pm and headed to my mates gf's hosue to pick up the cases... I was doign the driving to Gatwick, which to be honest was a relief as my mates all had their case on their laps and their faces were not pictures of happiness! They all fell asleep so i drove with the tunes blaring to Gatwick, roughly 150 miles - arriving on time for their 8pm flight to Ibiza. I then drove to my mates flat in Gravesend about half hour away where i slept like a complete LOG - i've never felt so tired i don't think! Got up and got the train to London at 9.30am as i had to go pick up my passport - argh!! Got the train back to Gravesend and then finally set off for home sweet home.....which took me 5, yes 5 hours as the M1 had a massive crash and 3 junctions were closed. I rolled back to my house at 6pm this evening after 6 days of absolute madness, very good organisation, pure happiness & loads & loads & loads of fun, i can't begin to start thinking it all through really..

Im now counting the hours till i join my mates in Ibiza, COME ON!!!!

Tune of Global: SVD - Riff: Played 4/5 times - SVd dropped it as the encoure at the end - pure ecstacy.

/quote]

that tune appears to be quite large, and deservedly so. Excellent stuff. I listened to the E-mixes on the radio as i'm saving the pennies for ibiza. It sounded really good though.

Quality review there Bjorn. You've gone some to write that after the mission that was your past week! I love it when life's like that i.e. so much is going on that you find yourself looking back at the end with a big fuc*k off grin on your face.

Sounds like you had a really good time at Gods. Gutted I didn't go to be honest. Sounds like SVD would have been right up my street. I always find myself like that in that I could be totally fuc*ked but a good DJ and some top drawer tracks just give me a second wind.

No doubt you'll be fully recharged for Ibiza. God help them ;):lol:

Briggs will come on here and say that his set was average at best but i CANNOT disagree more.

Bit harsh there matey - I always give credit where its due - and Sander was supurb at Escape Into The Park. ^_^

PvD Did the set of the night for me, followed by Armin, Marcel Woods, Markus Schulz, Dave Pearce, Eddie, Jules and Corsten.

Ferry was boring I thought, so I moved tents then because I don't like Above & Beyond at all (sorry Bjorn), and I wasn't walking all the way back just for Sander.

Marcel Woods was top notch - very under-rated, and Markus Schulz was also good. Dave Pearce did a good job too - although the weakest of the three sets i've heard from him this year.

I'm a huge Eddie fan - but I didn't feel Eddie's set was as good as he normally does - I didn't feel his tunes as much as I normally do. As for Jules, well, he started well, but then seemed to lose his way - and yet again he played that awful Mark Ronson bootleg - quite possibly the worst tune he's EVER played. It just doesn't fit into his sets. Ferry was the worst DJ by far though - sooooo boring. Once upon a time, he was my favourite DJ - oh how DJ's can change so much over the years.

Overall though, I had a great weekend. Carl Cox was supurb - Faithless were fairly average, but set of the weekend for me was Roger Sanchez - he played some nice tribal sounding House music - I loved it. I didn't think he'd be my cup of tea at all. I only popped my head in because I was looking for another tent because Oakie was abysmal - but I ended up staying for ages.

Oakie really should hang up his headphones now - he really is utter tripe!

Well i'm not going to write as much as the other guys, because Nathan saw pretty much the same as me!

But anyway, I arrived on the Saturday with my friend at about half past 1 and we parked next to a blue Transit van who's owners promised bacon sandwiches and tea in the morning. Unfortunately we couldn't take them up on their offer, but it was a nice british gesture all the same! It took bloody 40 mins to walk to the entrance, couldn't believe how far it was. I was also a bit gutted with how chav-tastic the car park was getting...although someone was playing marco V's edit of Loops n' Tings so it was good to hear that again. We'd been listening to my trance classics mix on the way down :)

After a bit of food on the way in, we headed to see Dave Pearce, mostly because I was curious to see if he was any good. I thought he was quite good, playing some great trance that warmed me up nicely. Just a quick note to say that I can't really say any of the tunes Iheard throughout the night because i've been so out of the loop for 3 months! Normally i'd be quite a trance trainspotter. Disappointing as well, as i really wanted to get my handso n some of the tunes I heard, especially from Jule's set. We stayed for the start of Marcel Woods' set, which sounded banging to say the least. Third tune in was particularly bass-worthy, i was bobbing up and down in my wellies! I wanted a good British skanky Strongbow (having been deprived for 3 months) so headed for the Strongbow tent, where we also caught Hot Chip, who played a wicked elcectic set. Old skool and 80's in there too, mad. Got extra cider from a girl with Trident chewwing gum boxes down her top too. And she did offer me some gum, so bonus.

By then I was trying to co-ordinate with Adam (Dormouse) to find a place to meet up. it took a good 30 mins of David guettas set until i found him and his mates, but was good to say hello! :) David Guetta was playing some awesome tunes too, as the Red Arrows made a heart above the main stage....i know it's not much of a differentiating factor to spend monoey on going to Global than say Escape into the park, but it was quite fun to see them pass overhead.

We caught the first bit of Morillo then headed over to Jules. Really enjoyed his set, must get a tracklist, so many tunes i like. Mark Ronson remix was shocking though. odd to hear Russ James again though, that track is a good 5 months old, good though it is. Thankfully he didn't drop Electro Fun or I would have walked out! Laid Bare was another favourite.

Then we caught basement Jaxx, who were brilliant, really enjoyed them. They were part of my reasoning for spending the money on the ticket. Their singers are awesome too! Dodgy acoustic sing-along versiono f Romeo though! Armin was next who was playing more uptempo than i expected to be honest, but good all the same. he looked funny on the big screens too, all bemused by the crowd and smiling lol. I think the set of the night though for me was PvD (with the exception of the knobs on the rigging). mandy Reid really got me going again, and he was able to zip through the tunes at lightning speed. Really short version of 'Needs to feel' though which was odd. We were pretty knackered at this point though so decided to call it a night at PvD. If there had abeen a proper non-muddy chillout area we could have had a rest and carried on. but I still had a great day, and not even getting covered in mud pushing our car in the parking lot could ruin it! Having mud in your ear and up your nose isn't usually the best end to a night but listening to the essential mixes on the way home made up for it!

Oh, it is pretty long! haha :blush:

Lol, i bet u wouldda slated him Briggs!

Christian - shame we couldn't see each other mate, but we shall soon im sure - catch u on msn :thumbsup:

Here's a few of the Trance Tl's:

Judge Jules

01. Marcel Woods - Lemon Tree

02. Sander van Doorn - Riff

03. Paul Webster - Wavelength w/ Bullet In The Gun Acapella

04. Tiesto feat. BT - Break My Fall (Airbase Dub)

05. Fred Baker & Greg Nash - Atlantis City

06. ID

07. Red Hot Chilli Peppers vs Armin van Buuren - Waiting For A Control Freak (Ant Attwood Mashup)

08. Ferry Corsten - Brain Box

09. Mikka Leinonen - Shadow Hearts

10. Vincent De Moor - Fly Away (Cosmic Gate Mix)

11. ID

12. Mark Ronson - Stop Me

Paul van Dyk

01. Pascal Feliz - From Inside The Speaker (Part One)

02. Paul van Dyk feat. Ashley Tomberlin - New York City

03. Tom Colontonio - Rounder

04. Jon Rundell - Nemesis

05. Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Rank 1 - Life Less Ordinary (Mekk Remix)

06. Randy Katana - Session Impossible vs. Super8 & Tab - Needs To Feel (Wippenberg Remix)

07. John O'Callaghan - Space And Time

08. Mr Sam - Polar Dome

09. Aniosis - Heavy Water (DMS12 Rmx)

10. DJ Dazzle - Accelator

11. Plastikman - Spastik w/ Paul van Dyk - White Lies Acapella

12. Paul van Dyk & Giuseppe Ottaviani - Far Away

13. Paul van Dyk - Nothing But You [PvD Live Edit]

14. Pimprockers - f*** The Good (Terranova & Austin Leeds Remix) w/ Wink - Higher State Of Conciousness

15. Thomas Bronzwaer - Constellation

16. Oliver Smith - Tomahawk w/ Paul van Dyk - Talk In Grey Acapella

17. Jonesey - Independance (Stadium Mix) [PvD Edit]

18. Onova - Platitude

19. Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - Oceanic (Super8 & Tab Remix)

20. Paul van Dyk & Alex M.O.R.P.H. feat. Ashley Tomberlin - Get Back

21. Lange vs. Gareth Emery - Another You, Another Me (Terranova & Austin Leeds Remix)

22. Paul van Dyk - The Big Bang

23. Substate - The Following

24. Schiller feat. Heppner - Leben.. I Feel You

25. Paul van Dyk feat. Lo Fi Sugar - Castaway

26. Jon Rundell - Rock

27. Inner City - Good Life (Mr B Re-Edit)

28. Underworld - Born Slippy (PvD Rework)

29. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army (PvD Rework)

30. Paul van Dyk - Another Sunday w/ Probspot - Blows My Mind Acapella

31. Paul van Dyk - For An Angel [PvD Edit]

32. Filo & Peri feat. Eric Lumiere - Anthem

Bjorn that's gotta be the longest post on the board EVER, but I really enjoyed reading it. And the others' as well.

You'll all very organized. At my age now I could never do all that rushing around, it would just stress me out. Good read!

Why didn't you bring your flip-flops for the mud?

Archived