My Demo & Turnmills

Aza

I spoke with my good friend Tim the other day over the phone discussing a possible solution to designing a page for the auction of my DJ setup. I am hoping to generate enough cash to make the transition from DJ to CD-J, an investment for the future ( I certainly hope!! :))

He pointed me in the direction of a post on Jules' home message board, which I followed up by getting in touch and posting of a demo to a guy called Tom Godwin who books gigs @ Turnmills. He gave me a call after listening to a few of my demos & basically he said he enjoyed listening to them! He was a fan of my mixing, style and set building. However I need one improvement to make myself a bit more distinctive and that is to sort of play tunes that the big guns are not playing. If I can generate my own sort of style and piece together a demo (sort of combining the tracks of my latest mix efforts into a proper set & we have it PRESTO!) That is probably the best piece of advise I have received regarding my demos and it leaves a big room for improvement. The only flaw with this regarding bedroom djs like myself trying to break out on the circuit is that without playing tunes that no-body recognises it is hard for promoters to pick up your demos. For example, a big personal favourite of mine is DK's - Murder was the Bass, I would probably still play this tune in most of my sets as this is a stormer of a tune! But the likes of Fergie are still dropping it and you would expect the big guns to play that sort of material and therefore pay the money to go and see them instead! So I got a bit of homework to do!

At present, I am also looking for a new place to live and my time on my turntables is limited, however he has asked me to keep hold of his details and piece together another demo, which without doubt I will send off to him. Tom also suggested that I could potentially play a slot last at a night, but I would be over the moon with even a warm up set! I thought I would let you guys know so that in the case if I do manage to secure a set in the not too distact future, it would be a good oppurntunity for us to meet up and I would love you guys to possibly come and watch (that is of course, you can make it etc...)

Was ace chatting to you Aza mate - after hearing your CDs I knew that post was just for you and thought you should apply. I hope it's the start of opening many interesting doors for you in the future... :)

And of course, keep us posted, I'll travel wherever to support any set you do.

I have just emailed Tom again regarding another demo and told him about my transition to cd's. This guy already is playing most of his stuff off of cd's and after a brief convo with him he agrees with me that inevitably cds will be the next vinyl.

I will be working on a new demo (with hopefully set of tunage etc) and whacking it out ASAP to him to try secure meself a set!

PS guys I will sort out a tracklisitng of me current demos etc and to the others I PROMISED I will sort your cds once my maths exam is out the way :o :roll: :x

If you rip your vinyl collection to CD (which would take a while, but would be worth it), then the most important thing is that you get the very best quality out of it, even if the vinyl is knackered! Why not do your prized possessions first, the amazing tunes or rare ones? Go for it Jacey B.

Aza glad you got those photos by the way, let me know when you want the minisite of yours to be uploaded on this website - before June 23rd ideally. I'm so sorry the one I constructed was lost in the attack. :?

Mate no apology needed. I was more concerend about your archives etc. Only bummer regarding the mini site was the time and effort you put into it :cry: :cry:

Yeh Ill sort those photo's out and a bit of html'in and send you over a sample to let you know before we put the real thing up!

Coming back to vinyl and cd's. I made my mind up a few months ago, started taking loads of photos for personal memories, archived em and began ripping my tunage to .mp3. Best is to rip at a minimum bitrate of 192kpbs, but to avoid losing quality go between 224 and 320kpbs!

Yeah all my mp3 files are at a sample rate of 44.100Khz and at a bit rate of either 192 or 224kbps - perfect! I dunno about you but I get a bit obsessive about sound (a bit like correct TLs :wink: ) so if it doesn't sound right in the earphones, it gets to me!

I've noticed a drop in sound quality in Jules' show over the years - I've never been able to record the shows in as good quality as when I did in 2000; having said that, it could be the times of his shows because @ certain times of the year (esp @ night-time with his 9-11pm shows), the signal may have been marginally better bacause of how the radio signal is distributed in the ionosphere (or one of the layers of the atmosphere) - I think in summer there's more interference..?

Oh well, who knows!

Good stuff there Trail matey - you sure you studying a language or physics?

Yeh sound quality is extremely important considering if you are putting your tunes on cd for sets etc.

haha a bit of GCSE physics coming back there maybe? Long time ago!

- never really been very good at sciences (you have maths exam soon don't ya! ;)) so languages - Spanish - is the way forward for me!

Are you doing your next demo for that bloke on CD decks or vinyl?

Yeh maths next for me matey!

I thought that was more like A Level physics mate. I studied it and it certainly rang a few bells!

Yeh, more than likely I will be doing the next demo of my new kit (that is however, providing I do sell em on ebay or in the local).

I will put up a post listing my setup and see what the peeps on this board think all together and how much it should go for??

Is there any way of listing a list cos I dont see the point in putting up all 300+ of my tunes :?:

Archived