Jules & the Pioneer EFX Unit....

Briggsy

I think the only soundsystem that won't cover up a dodgy mix is the Funktion 1 soundsystem - those things are crystal clear no matter what the volume is. It should be law that all clubs have a Funktion 1 system :mrgreen: lol

I've had the privelege to play on a Funktion One down at Corsica Studios for ES & it was a fantastic system, definately a must for venues putting on the bigger events

definately a must for venues putting on the bigger events

I agree mate! They should be a necessity at festivals. They had the Funktion 1 system at Escape Into The Park - and it was crystal clear.

I wish Godskitchen would invest in one too - their sound system is all bass and vibration :(

I wish Godskitchen would invest in one too - their sound system is all bass and vibration :(

I've always quite liked the system at Gods, when it first installed it was a cut above anything else out there, an update would be nice but i dnt think it's essential

I've always quite liked the system at Gods, when it first installed it was a cut above anything else out there, an update would be nice but i dnt think it's essential

Do you not find it really bassy mate? Unless your right in the middle of the dancefloor, it seems to just throw the bass out - all the trancy chords, etc seem to get buried in the background.

It just really seems to have detoriorated in there over the last 12 months or so :(

not that good, as i've heard him f*** up on a number of occasions. 15 seconds though is certainly not to be sniffed at at my level!

15 secs is most impressive. It takes me about 45-60 secs t get a fairly strong match. Then i usually spend about the next minute or so tweaking it making sure i can hold it for about 1 minute - 1m30s without "nudging".

On the subject of Club sound systems I personally dont like the system in God's either, cant really remember specifically how it was bad but it just was. I think GK could definately benefit from funktion 1, its such a good system for a club or enclosed environment. I would say not necessarily ideal for outdoor stuff though which is why Esape in the park was good as they had funktion 1 in the tents but a line array on the outdoor stage. I shant bore you with the details of line array theory but basically they giver a longer throw in that the drop off in level over distance is much less than with a system such as funktion 1 which is set up in clusters or stacks either side. The use of line array outside was good as the main stage could be heard quite far back.

Global gathering last year used a line array in the main tent which I guess could be justified by the sheer size of the tent, but it would be interesting to try funktion 1 in there, I think it was a little quiet at times last year.

I was going to rant about the apalling sound system at Crasher but then suddenly remembered its gone... still seems weird to say it. Hears hoping they get a decent system for the re-build though.

the sound quality was pretty bad, but the management system was quite good, am i right in saying that nath?

Put it this way - you could hear the music well where-ever you were in the club, albeit not great quality - far too bass heavy & loud!!

Thats a fair point Bjorn, there were also some very interesting acoustics which really added to the problems. I just found it very harsh. It was bass heavy but also certain high frequencies would really cut through sometimes and hurt your ears. My ears would always be ringing for the rest of the day after Crasher, ive been to other nights just as loud but where the sound has been very clean and not had ringing ears at the end. Funktion 1 seems to be one of the best systems for this in my experience but no I dont work for them and I'm not on commission or anything, ahaha.

Apparently the reason for the Crasher system not being very good was because they were never allowed to run it at the capacity it was designed for due to the residents that lived nearby.

I shant bore you with the details of line array theory but basically they giver a longer throw in that the drop off in level over distance is much less than with a system such as funktion 1 which is set up in clusters or stacks either side. The use of line array outside was good as the main stage could be heard quite far back.

mccooney.jpg

Ye know... too muchhhh :blink:

NOTHING beats a Phazon audio system in terms of club audio! Funktion 1 comes a close second though!!!

Nath - which lighting desks are doing the biz right now? The best I've ever used is a Wholehog 2 and was running light jocket off a Sony Vaio. I'm guessing that Martin are still making some stunning lights!

• 1 month later...

Some interesting points here.

Personally, I think a better marker is ones ability to react to the tunes drifting out without being noticed rather than how quick you can get them lined up, though of course the two skills are related. I find that when I haven't had a proper session on the decks for some time it takes about the same amout of time to get the two tunes fairly accurate, but I'm much more delayed in corrections and reacting to changes making my overall sound a lot worse.

On another point, Jeff Mills has Eddie beat by a long shot. I've seen him put the record on, throw it in, adjust the pitch and mix from that point on making no pitch adjustment. I know generally mills tends towards shorter mixes, but even so, he has an accurate set of ears on him.

i heard a Jeff Mills set on Ric Groves Vinyl Decadance (an old show on Vibe FM in east of anglia before it became Kiss) and his mixing was awful.

Anyway, PR1 has a nice soundsystem - dunno which one it is but it's nice and bassy with nice crisp highs. I actually like the Gods sound also!

Eddie is, in terms of beatmatching, is probably one of the best in his technical ability. i haven't heard him drop a beat. Same with Rob Tissera.

On a side note, Jules was using Eddie's EFX unit at Global Gathering again last week - and you should be able to hear it online with the listen again facility.

Jules is pretty good with it too - it looks like he's comfortable using it in his sets when its there now.

Interesting you should say that as I heard quite a few reports of his mixing being none two hot in the last few years.

yeah i heard that "guest mix" about 18 months ago now. Fair play, he got through about 20 tunes in just under an hour, but the mixing was very dodgy. I remember thinking to myself...And this guy is a techno legend!?!

Archived