Lloyds Bank = Sly f**kers!

Briggsy

I'm not a happy chappy!

I've ran over my overdraft limit by £12 today - which, in theory, should result in a £30 "bank charge" - however, i've got £60 being paid into my account which should have also gone into my account today.

I checked my balance on the internet at 8.45pm - and yes, it was showing i'd gone over my limit by £12 - HOWEVER, I re-checked at 11.10pm, and its was now showing that the £60 payment had gone in - but guess what! On the statement date, it had the 26th instead of the 25th - but its still the 25th!

Why am I angry? Well, when Lloyds send you their letters to say that they're going to charge you for going over the limit, it also says that if a payment was made into the account AFTER you went over your limit, but ON THE SAME DAY, then the charge would be ignored.

So, this is what I think! They've seen that i've gone over my limit today. They've also paid that £60 into my account today - but put tomorrows date on the statement - that way, when the letter comes through, and I try to argue it out with them, they'll bring up my statement on the screen and say "but Mr Briggs, that payment went in on the 26th - not the 25th" - and then say that the charge still stands because the payment went in a day later.

Well, bring it on Lloyds - i've just printed a mini-statement from the cashpoint down the road that clearly shows that i'm back in credit - showing todays date (25th). I've also printed a full statement online which clearly shows the date of printing as the 25th - but also shows the payment that went in today as the 26th!

So, if they try it on - i'll be ready to pounce!

Don't fall for this trick guys - when you know your going to go over your limit, but you've also got money going in on the same day, keep your eye open online - they could try the same trick to get £30 out of you.

Needless to say, i've not fallen for it - and if they want to battle over it, they're welcome!

Ugh, Money, a necessary evil.

I hate money, my life would be much simpler had i not have to worry about money.

I've had my fingers burnt before with credit cards and overdrafts, so now i dont have either. It's more simpler that way. I try not to have direct debits either, i pay for 99% of stuff in cash. That way i have total control over my finances. But yeah, banks can be sly f***ers. Like when they dont take the charge out for hitting your overdraft until its that charge that makes you go over the overdraft...GRRRR

As an aside, i'm probably the worst when it comes to spending money. I cant help it either, i've only just got paid and i've spent my "fun" money (i.e money for buying new clothes, shoes, and other material stuff) so will be living like a hermit for the next 4 weeks - although putting some aside for Ibiza (£400) doesnt help matters - but i refuse to stick it on a credit card and pay for the holiday after i have been, how depressing would that be? I think i need help, i just dont want to admit it.

Also, debt scares the hell out of me, i know college mates who are like 20K in debt....I'd like to know what the average debt is per person in the UK, excluding mortgages. I bet it makes for cringeworthy reading.

I'm £27k in debt mate - its horrible! I'm stuck in a job I absolutely detest simply because I can't afford to move on. I wouldn't get the same money as I get now doing the same sort of work elsewhere.

Each month, I have to hand over £400 to the bank. By the time i've paid bills, etc, i'm not exaggerating when I say I have about £180 to myself each month to go out with and to buy clothes with.

It pisses me off - and i'm gonna be like that for the next three and a half years.

I've only got myself to blame though - when I was younger, I ran up credit cards galore, and i'm facing the consequences now.

debt is something that should be advised of when kids are in school. I went college and was about to go to uni, but debt scared me, and well, i only wanted to go uni for the social stuff, i knew what career i REALLY wanted. I got 8K in debt, and like my old man said to me "what have you got to show for it?" a car i dont even own anymore - lesson learned the hard way....Getting in debt like i did certainly tought me the value of money. I wont do finance, dont do credit cards etc.

I'm glad i never declared myself bankrupt also, because i wouldnt have the job i love today.

What amazes me though, is i earn more money now than ever, yet i'm always moaning im skint. The whole spending to your budget thing really is amazing and you do. I dont know how i used to manage on £900 a month.

One thing I can say for my debt is that at least I do have something to show for my money. I have a nice car that I love, I have a club-standard DJ set-up, and a vinyl collection that is very impressive - including some rare tracks with limited quantities in the world - however, it doesn't really show £27,000

The downside is that i'm stuck in a job that I hate. The plus side is that because i've been used to living off £180 per month, when I do finally clear my debt - it'll feel like i've won the lottery. I'll also have learnt about debt the hard way - and I shall never borrow again.

Sorry to hear that Briggsy mate :(

Yeah I hear you with Lloyds, my Mum banks with them and has had endless troulbe with them. She has banked with them for a long time though and despite my advise to switch banks she does not want all the palarva of sorting out all things etc.

It seems somtimes you do have to learn the hard way with things: I have had loads of trouble when I first bought it (privately) and took it to cheap garages to have repairs as when they occured. I have been constantly fobbed off (because of being naive and student funds limited my options), but now I will only stick to dealers. Despite them charging more, you always got something to go back on, warranties, service and standards etc.

Its quite common that money can show as being in your account, but hasn't completed the full transfer. ie. the payment is still pending.

There's some cases that went through the courts recently and I think that the courts upheld the decision to charge overdraft fees. Having said that, the amount of money the banks make is ridiculous and I mean stupidly ridiculous. Good luck mate :thumbsup:

This definately wasn't a pending payment mate - this was in my account, in full, last night - I went down the cashpoint to get a mini statement as evidence for when my bank try to charge me. It said "available balance - £47 or whatever it was" - I could have taken it out if I wanted.

In my opinion, this is the bank trying it on - they probably don't expect people to check their internet balance two or three times within a few hours - but because i'd got a lot of activity going on, and needed to buy a train ticket ready for Amsterdam on Friday, I was keeping a close eye on things.

Within a few hours, i'd gone over my limit - which was showing the correct date (25th), but then a few hours after that, I came back into credit again - which was still on the same day, but yet my statement was showing as the 26th.

I've got two forms of evidence no anyway - so if they try it on, i'll be ready for them.

If they do charge me, they'll regret it - I have a £27k loan with them which I needed to clear all my debts, so i'll just get another loan out elsewhere and clear my Lloyds one - they'll lose far more than the £30 then - the interest they earn on my loan each month must be a fair few quid!

I can be as awkward as them :mrgreen:

Ok guys, i used to work for a bank and know the system very well. if you need help with it give me a shout although you probrbly know the answers yourself n e way.

Oh and if you think your charge was bad, Abbey tried to charge me £70 for going 11p overdrawn. Of course I used the fact that I used to work for them and that I aint having that at all and told them the consequences of holding the charge. My advice, if your civil with them (dont be weak yet dont be aggressive) then they will help. Not sure about Lloyds as a Bank but i do know that their insurance is good.

Im with Rbs, i went over my overdraft last month as they decided to put a charge on my account taking me over the overdraft, and then they decided to charge me again for going over the overdraft because of there charge, what a bunch of d***s, banks really annoy me!!

Im with Rbs, i went over my overdraft last month as they decided to put a charge on my account taking me over the overdraft, and then they decided to charge me again for going over the overdraft because of there charge, what a bunch of d***s, banks really annoy me!!

Holy f*** did u pay it m8 i wouldnt

• 3 weeks later...

Archived