BBC Listen Again Radio Player

bigsteve

Shame there's no rewind function or ability to fast-forward in smaller increments. Mind you the former suggestion would not make it strictly 'streamed' so would I suppose be illegal :?

I wonder where all the old shows go when they are replaced every week...

Yeh it is a great feature Ste. Agree with Tim though, should be a bit more easily accessible!

I think they archive the shows more than likely mate, for legality purposes and most probably backup.

Their award winning site though is awesome, you can tell there must be a big team operating on each section. Regularly updated and also very informative!

All of Radio 1's output will be recorded and kept for ever and a day! By law all radio broadcasts have to be kept for a certain period (can't remember how long off the top of my head, though I can find out if anyone’s really interested) so that complaints and such can be looked into by Ofcom. In any case, the BBC will want a full archive anyway for their own research purposes.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the then Director General of the BBC, Greg Dyke, wanted to open up the entire archives for download! Just imagine how cool it would be to download all of Jules' shows and have every Essential Mix to hand. Shame he got given the boot. :(

People moan about paying a TV licence, but the beeb does a fantastic job and can always be relied upon for decent coverage, particularly live events. I'd happily pay £112 a year for Jules's show each week alone! :wink: (Not really, but you get what I mean!)

I think it is amazing the way they can broadcast from just about anywhere. It's clever stuff. The listen again feature was such a brilliant idea. It was really great cos l was able to put jules's Newquay Show onto cassette yesterday. It's been really good listening to it again. At the radio 1 show we didn't get to hear all that talking(interviewing surfers etc.) l hasten to add l've got mixed feelings about these interviews and think perhaps it would be better leaving it to programmes like Jo Whiley's which is on during the daytime. What do you think?

Yes you're probably right.

Just imagine how cool it would be to download all of Jules' shows and have every Essential Mix to hand.

The great Dane on this board named Keenster has all of Jules' essential mixes (in fact all the essential mixes ever probably) on FTP which I'm trying to obtain and put here in the archive (Jules' ones, that is) for people to get their hands on.

Lets go aboave the law and set up a free for all radio one archive set. I bet between us we've got all the radio1 media over the years! Dont fancy having the radio1 lawyers after me though!

I'd like to keep it Jules-orientated, or at least dance-related on this site; I'm sure in a few years I'll have a dedicated FTP link for everyone to go and download everything what they want from there.

As for the lawyers, I know it'd be dodgy to have Radio 1 media freely available on this site but I'll be responsible; if they want it removed I'll just set up another website and host it there instead. :D

"File Transfer Protocol" (FTP).

A protocol is a tool used so that each end of the server can understand what is being sent (if you get me) Despite being a computer student, its faded.....

Basically so a file can be sent/downloaded successfully both ends use ftp.

Well I won't go into details, partly because I don't know, and partly because I find it immeasurably boring,

as I hope most people do!

In essence, all files you retrieve from the web are stored on a server (that hosts your website), acting like a distant hard drive - and an FTP program is just a windows-based platform upon which to add to, or retrieve files on that server, as well as see every file actually resident on it. The links you find on websites merely point to files on the server. :wink:

Archived