No Jules tomorrow night

Stuart F

I think there's some belief in the guy at the moment. Gods have obviously shown their liking of him as he has featured at their festival events this year. I can't ever remember seeing Dave on a Gods lineup before this summer?

I like some of his mixes in the last half hour/twenty minutes of his show. He does have a reasonable taste for music. It was Dave's recomendation of 'Visor & Dark Moon - Beautiful People (Stoneface Terminal Rmx) on Jules' show that put me onto it. Very good choice, wicked track.

He's never going to shake the 'Roll another fat one' & 'Trance trousers' image but as we've discussed on here before, thats his niche and fair play to him.

I'd love him to get a 'proper' slot on Radio 1 (obviously not replacing Jules but maybe a late night Friday slot). It'd give him a chance to show his worth and prove a few people wrong.

I have to admit that a lot of his shows I've listened to have featured some shocking mixing with galloping horses a plenty but hey, nobodys perfect ;)

I've always given Dave 100% respect whereas a lot of people have credited him as being cheesy and only playing to what some may call the lowest common denominator of dance music fans. He has never outwardly said that he's a technical genius when it comes to mixing, nor has he ever gone down the route of saying he's there to 'educate' people about dance music. He plays to the masses and if by doing that he inspires more people into listening and buying dance music, attending clubs and large dance music events, that deserves due respect. He is one of the few radio DJ's who has stuck to his guns trance music wise and lets not forget, on a UK alone basis, he has the number 1 dance music show. On a global level, Tong and Jules still hold the top 2 positions with Armin's ASOT show at number 3. I am pleased that credible dance music brands are recognizing Dave's work and long may it continue.

i quite like Dave Pearce too. When he's on it he can bang out some quite nice hard german trance. The last 20-30 mins of his dance anthems show used to be very good - on a par with the saturday night mix from jules' show.

Dave's dance anthmes show is so popular that he gets tarred with the "Dance Anthems" brush. Those people saying that have probably never seen him live.

Is this just because R1 are in Zante? Its very rare for Jules to take a week off. Usually its only Glastonbury or Live 8 events. Why is JUles not broadcasting live from Zante? :confused:

btw, I've no probs with Dangerous doing it, just seems unusual.

Dave has DJ'd for Godskitchen's events before - he's an Escape Into The park regular (maybe because he's loved at Escape club in Swansea), and he did Global Gathering 2 years ago.

Gatecrasher have shown faith in him though - he had a slot at the Summer Sound System, and he's their Ibiza weekly resident.

What I like about Dave is his charisma and sheer enthusiasm. He knows he's not the best mixer - but he's a good set builder and plays good tunes. Like Jules, its not always his beatmatching that lets him down - its his "chunky" style of mixing - he mixes the two tracks quite suddenly (he brings the incoming track in fairly quickly) with the EQ's too high on the bass - so they fight against each other and clash.

What annoys me is the attitude of people of some forums - particularly the Matt Hardwick forum, where they run him down for no real reason. I bet half of them have never even seen him live.

Unlike some of the DJ's out there, Dave has got to where is is through sheer hard work as a radio presenter that also mixes as a hobby. He's never claimed to be a top dance DJ - even he knows that he's worked his way there through building a reputation as a passionate radio presenter that can mix in clubs. He hasn't got there by making productions, being in the charts, and making dodgy remixes of classic tunes.

At the moment, i'd rather listen to him than Jules. Jules has been disappointing every time i've seen him this year - his flow has suffered each time half way into his sets, and he plays far too many poor tunes that other DJ's wouldn't play (such as some of the dodgy bootlegs he gets sent, that awful Ronson remix he's done, and some poorly produced tunes).

Is this just because R1 are in Zante? Its very rare for Jules to take a week off. Usually its only Glastonbury or Live 8 events. Why is JUles not broadcasting live from Zante? :confused:

He had an overseas gig last night, and he's in Ibiza tomorrow - so he probably wanted a day off from flying rather than three flights in three days. With times differences, etc, he may have struggled to squeeze the gigs in and get three flights too. One delay from any oif the flights might have ballsed his whole weekend schedule up. Instead, he's opted for a gig in Licncoln today.

Edited by Briggsy

happyday's this could b an interesting show il def listen 2 see what kind of tracks dave play's he can really play some beautiful trance track's on his dance anthems show wen he goes into the mix look forward 2 hearing this...

Less talk more mixing 2nyt wud b nice B)

Edited by Marty M

and he plays far too many poor tunes that other DJ's wouldn't play (such as some of the dodgy bootlegs he gets sent, that awful Ronson remix he's done, and some poorly produced tunes).

Jules is playing far too many bootlegs, i have to agree. I have never really been a fan of mashups. But, that, sadly is one of the problems with CDJ's. People no longer have to go and get white labels cut. People can throw together a dodgy mashup in the afternoon and play it out that night. They are not gonna be spending £500 getting x amount of white label pressed if its a turgid mashup. Basically, "in the olden days" you would'nt press up a s*** mashup for financial reasons. But now, you can make one and think, well its only cost me a few quid i might aswell send it out and see who plays it.

One feels, if CDJs werent around, you wouldnt be hearing half of if any mashups that he is currently playing.

But yes, i hope Dangerous Dave keeps the talking to a minimal - he can do that on sunday nights! I think he should keep the "Dangerous" Dave moniker too. I like the irony of it. I shall be tuning in though.

Definately Moonman!

There are some great bootlegs around - Richard Durand is a good example of that. However, there are some awful ones too. If a bootleg is produced to a high quality, then i'm all for it. If its just been knocked together by some random person just for the sake of making a bootleg, then it shouldn't be played. Samba 69 and that House Of Pain bootleg that Jules was playing should not have been supported - they were very very poor! I'm also sick of hearing various 'Waiting For' bootlegs by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Jules has played three different variations now. When he's stopped suporting one, he's been straight on to the other. We need a break from the same tune - they may be different versions, but the backbone of the different versions (the vocal and breakdown) remain the same each time.

That Samba 69 rubbish - which is a re-work of another bootleg, which was a re-work of two other tunes - again, in its various forms, was supported for over a year.

As i've said before, Jules is in a position to have any tune he wants in the world, for free. He gets hundreds of tunes already per month, yet only 10 or so seem to break into his sets each month. Over a 4 month period, Jules's sets don't really vary much from a tune point of view - and he's sounding stale compared to other DJ's. I've seen Jules at the Summer Sound System, Escape Into The Park, and Global Gathering - and all three sets sounded similar, whereas Eddie, etc have had completely new sets since. Jules needs to keep his sets a lot fresher - and I don't feel he's doing that now.

I feel disappointed each time I see Jules now - and have felt like that for the last couple of years. Jules was my favourite DJ by miles years ago, and even though I still like him, I don't feel the excitement that I do when I see Eddie and co anymore. Its a shame - but true.

Edited by Briggsy

The Time-machine has been switched on...

Don't you just love the Archives... shall we reminisce? :)

30/09/00

Saturday, 5:00pm - 7:00pm

(Dave Pearce covering for Judge Jules)

01. Delirium feat. Sarah McLachlan - 'Silence' (Airscape Mix) [Nettwerk]

02. York - 'Farewell To The Moon' (En-Motion Vocal Dub) [Manifesto]

03. M1 - 'Electronic Funk' (Snow Monkey's Radio Edit) [NuLife]

04. Rui da Silva feat. Cassandra - 'Touch Me' [Kismet]

05. Beatchuggers feat. Eric Clapton - 'Forever Man (How Many Times?)' [FFRR]

06. Deliverance - 'Feel You' [white label]

07. The Dubwise Selectas - 'Wassup (At The Disco)' [white label]

08. Paul van Dyk - 'We Are Alive' (Breathless Mix) [Deviant]

09. Malatya 44 - 'Wonderland' (Ayla Mix) [Zeitgeist]

10. Phatt B - 'And Da Drum Machine' [NuLife]

11. M.E.O. - 'Anathema' (Praha Mix) [Global Harmony]

Last Year's Tried & Tested

12. Planet Perfecto - 'Bullet In The Gun' (Solar Stone Mix) [Perfecto]

Dave Pearce's Tried & Tested

13. Safri-Duo - 'Played Alive' [serious]

14. Med Club - 'And Some' (Red Sea Club Mix) [Lifting Car]

15. Black Spider - 'Save Your Life' [Nothing]

16. Unknown - 'LIKE!!' [white label]

17. Quo Vadis - 'Sonic Boom (Life's Too Short)' [serious]

18. Lightforce - 'Join Me' [slinky]

Judge For Yourself

19. Warrior - 'The Warrior' (Club Mix) [incentive]

20. Smak - 'Rock To The Rhythm' [Rude Boy]

21. DJ's Modell & Elvira vs Lisa Pin Up - 'Queens In The House' [On The Record]

22. BB Team - 'Revolution' (Rich's B Hard Mix) [Enriched]

The Time-machine has been switched on...

Don't you just love the Archives... shall we reminisce? :)

30/09/00

Saturday, 5:00pm - 7:00pm

(Dave Pearce covering for Judge Jules)

01. Delirium feat. Sarah McLachlan - 'Silence' (Airscape Mix) [Nettwerk]

02. York - 'Farewell To The Moon' (En-Motion Vocal Dub) [Manifesto]

03. M1 - 'Electronic Funk' (Snow Monkey's Radio Edit) [NuLife]

04. Rui da Silva feat. Cassandra - 'Touch Me' [Kismet]

05. Beatchuggers feat. Eric Clapton - 'Forever Man (How Many Times?)' [FFRR]

06. Deliverance - 'Feel You' [white label]

07. The Dubwise Selectas - 'Wassup (At The Disco)' [white label]

08. Paul van Dyk - 'We Are Alive' (Breathless Mix) [Deviant]

09. Malatya 44 - 'Wonderland' (Ayla Mix) [Zeitgeist]

10. Phatt B - 'And Da Drum Machine' [NuLife]

11. M.E.O. - 'Anathema' (Praha Mix) [Global Harmony]

Last Year's Tried & Tested

12. Planet Perfecto - 'Bullet In The Gun' (Solar Stone Mix) [Perfecto]

Dave Pearce's Tried & Tested

13. Safri-Duo - 'Played Alive' [serious]

14. Med Club - 'And Some' (Red Sea Club Mix) [Lifting Car]

15. Black Spider - 'Save Your Life' [Nothing]

16. Unknown - 'LIKE!!' [white label]

17. Quo Vadis - 'Sonic Boom (Life's Too Short)' [serious]

18. Lightforce - 'Join Me' [slinky]

Judge For Yourself

19. Warrior - 'The Warrior' (Club Mix) [incentive]

20. Smak - 'Rock To The Rhythm' [Rude Boy]

21. DJ's Modell & Elvira vs Lisa Pin Up - 'Queens In The House' [On The Record]

22. BB Team - 'Revolution' (Rich's B Hard Mix) [Enriched]

Firstly, you have to give love to the archives, and secondly, thats not actually a bad tracklisting....

good to hear that you guys have quite an educated oppinion about him! :thumbsup:

Yeah, thats one thing I like about this site - we all seem to like the DJ's that other people slate. I think thats because we give DJ's a chance, rather than judge them on what we've read on other forums.

It seems trendy on other forums just to slate a DJ just because everyone else on the forums. I mentioned Dave Pearce on the Matt Hardwick forums a few weeks ago and everyone started with the Pearce slating - yet they couldn't actually explain why he was so bad.

Yes, his mixing isn't the best in the world, but other than that, he can compete with, and often be better, than any other DJ's he shares a line-up with. Only Menno de Jong and Simon Patterson were better than him at the Summer Sound System. At Global Gathering last week, he was much better than Jules and Ferry Corsten - and they were two headliners.

He had an overseas gig last night, and he's in Ibiza tomorrow - so he probably wanted a day off from flying rather than three flights in three days. With times differences, etc, he may have struggled to squeeze the gigs in and get three flights too. One delay from any oif the flights might have ballsed his whole weekend schedule up. Instead, he's opted for a gig in Licncoln today.

According to his "Club Dates" he had a gig in Germany on Fri night (yesterday) and tonight he isn't playing anywhere.

As Robin mentioned, Jules is probably taking some time out with his family at their home in Ibiza. Jules works very hard and spends alot of time away from home so this is a golden opportunity to spend some quality time with his wife and kids during the school holidays.

During the latter part of July and for the whole month of August you can see, from his Club dates, that he is doing alot less gigs in the UK.

As Dangerous Dave is coming "live" from Zante tonight it should be a good show but l expect he will still chat quite a bit. I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Jules is probably taking some time out with his family at their home in Ibiza.

Yeah, he always takes two weeks off in the summer so that he can spend time with his family, and do some "social" clubbing as Jules calls it to see what other DJ's and clubs are up to.

The only gigs he does during his two weeks off are Judgement Sundays and BCM in Majorca. He doesn't usually update his diary during that time either - he does a lengthy one afterwards saying which DJ's he's seen, etc

Dangerous is sounding pretty good so far :) Not too much chatter going on. Weird to be hearing him on a Saturday and not a Sunday.

:lol: He'll be doing it all again tomorrow night (live from Zante)

I went to Zante approx 6years ago and had a great time there but didn't think much of Laganus-bit tired looking and tacky. However it could all be very different now.

Edited by Chrissie Brown

Woman to Dave: "You know your not supposed to put loo paper down the toilets in Greece - i've had to put all mine in those poo bins they have everywhere"

Dave: "Yeah, I've just been ramming mine down the loo - I don't care - i'm going home on Sunday"

Woman: "DAVE!"

Dave: "I'm sorry - its true!"

Woman: "DAVE!"

Genius! I had to giggle at that! :lol: