No Jules tomorrow night

Stuart F

Anthem is proof that big breakdowns still rocks the cock out of a dancefloor!

a breakdown like this bring the floor whole as one. Thats why this is such a big tune. I love it!

This show is good! we are getting ready as i type and hey, Dave's mixing isnt bad either.

Anthem is proof that big breakdowns still rocks the cock out of a dancefloor!

Unlike most people on here l don't care much for "Anthem". It's ok but the vocal gets on my nerves so for me l would prefer to hear just an instrumental version.

I listened for a bit from about 8, hoping that the 2nd hour would be a good selection of more trancy stuff from Dave. Was highly disappointed though. It was less bangin than Jules normally gets by that part of the show. I had to switch off at 8.30 so Im not sure whether he finally played some trance in the last half hour, but im guessing he did a saturday night mix in a jules style if he played 'anthem'. Still, a very disappointing show for me.

Still, a very disappointing show for me.

Agreed. The last 20 minutes were much more trancey, although it never quite hit the spot. Unfortunately my router decided it had heard enough by 8.50 and crashed on me so not too sure how the last 10 minutes was. On the whole, it was a wasted 2 hours :(

The 20 minute mix was spot on. Nice and trancey with a few techier tunes too. The rest of the 2nd hour stayed too similar to the first hour though - too much electro-house nonsense.

Dave doesn't play that stuff in his sets though, so he was obviously told to play it by R1.

But why? I recorded this online and had a listen this morning and I'm fed up of this electro-w*** rubbish. I endded up skipping through the audio file and within 10 minutes I'd heard everything I wanted to :(

Some of the "proper" electro-house is OK, but the stuff Jules plays is a cross between Electro-House and Funky House (Funky Electro House if you like), and it doesn't work too well. It all starts to sound a bit annoying after a while. An hour of it is too much in Jules's show - I think 30 minutes is enough, and then things should build up from there.

I think Jules's style overall has changed quite severely over the last 12 months. I'd never would have classed Jules as an out-and-out Trance DJ - more a case of "all things banging" - but he's incorporating a lot more housey tunes in his clubs sets these days, and he's playing slower sets too. A typical Jules of old set was at around the 140bpm mark - but this year, his sets have been much slower - and we can tell that just by the tunes he's played such as Yves Deruyter - Feel Free, which even when its speeded up, sits at around the 134bpm mark. Cosmic Gate - Earth Mover is another very slow Trancer.

I think thats why i've not enjoyed so much when i've seen him this year. He's been sandwiched between DJ's knocking out a 138-140bpm set, and then Jules has took the pace down a lot slower.

I hope he's not going down the Marco V route of chaging his sound and set pace completely. I don't think Marco V is suited to a Trance line-up any more - and i'm beginning to feel the same about Jules's sound.

I think Jules's style overall has changed quite severely over the last 12 months.

It totally has. Coloursfest 06 was the last proper trance set/show I remember hearing. Since then he has gone off down the electro route. His taste has moved on, but I guess mine has stayed the same.

Edited by bigsteve

The thing is though, as Jules's style has changed over the years, we've all moved along with it - ie, his sound 2 years ago was different from his harder sound of 1999, but we still liked him regardless. But now, his sound seems to be changing again, but he's leaving us all behind.

The thing is though, as Jules's style has changed over the years, we've all moved along with it - ie, his sound 2 years ago was different from his harder sound of 1999, but we still liked him regardless. But now, his sound seems to be changing again, but he's leaving us all behind.

Its a fact of life that music is changing all the time and our music tastes change as well.

I don't like all the stuff that Jules plays but l do like a bit of variety, and that's why l like to listen to Jules R1 show. Some weeks are better than others. I don't listen to R1 during the daytime as l've always preferred the non commercial stuff.

When l get time l really enjoy listening to internet radio. The only downside is when you hear an amazing tune and you don't know what it is called as there is no tracklisting. :wall:

When l get time l really enjoy listening to internet radio. The only downside is when you hear an amazing tune and you don't know what it is called as there is no tracklisting. :wall:

That's the only plus side to iTunes - usually they have the updated titles scrolling across for each tune, or if not you can normally go to the broadcasters website where they have live tracklistings :thumbsup:

I thought the show was pretty good, i'd like to see the tracklist though, there's a couple of tracks that I would like. I would have been bored just listening on my own to it, tbh, I had a friend around and we were drinking so it was nice in the background. Not sure if the housey bits were Albeton'ed though...if not, fair play to the dude!

There was one mad tune played around half 8 that really caught my attention...

Dave's mix was well banging, got me right in the mood. 142bpm plus, haha :)

I'm sure Tim can back me up, his trance selections are usually worth listening too, especially back in the "day" (i.e., 99-2003) when he put on his trance trousers for his mix on Dance Anthems!

I'm sure Tim can back me up, his trance selections are usually worth listening too, especially back in the "day" (i.e., 99-2003) when he put on his trance trousers for his mix on Dance Anthems!

You always got the 1 occasional gem in Dance Anthems if you waited for Dangerous to launch into his (normally) 3-track mix near the end. After an hour and a half of well-known commercial normalities, suddenly he went into club mode and would whip out some quality new tracks. I've still got a handful on MD and will uploading them on here for everyone in October - I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised ;)

I have to agree. At uni I had NTL in my 2nd year as it was then and I used to watch 24 on a sunday night at 9, but I'd always stick the telly on tuned to radio 1 at around 8.40 cranked up through the surround system for Dave's mix. he used to play some right gems. I still want Mark Eteson's remix of Darren Styles - Dropzone which Dave used to play quite alot early in 2006.

Edited by Tremor