The Hamilton - Alonso Battle

bigsteve

I'm really annoyed at this, Webber's tirade straight after the incident made no mention of Hamilton's actions, he just took a swipe at Vettel for being inexperienced.

His exact words were...

'Well that's kids for ya, no experience, doing a good job, then he goes and f*cks it all up with a stupid mistake'

to which ITV had to make several apologies.

Now all of a sudden the Ferari backed Toro Rosso seem to have decided that they'd like to protest Vettel's innocence on the back of a youtube vid, typical F1 politics

Thankfully nothing at all has come from this. Its been a real downside to the whole season all this controversy. Its got as though you don't accept what the points situation actually is until a few months afterwards, just in case there is an investigation. Hamilton could be crowned the champion on Sunday, only for him to be docked 10 points the following week because Ferrari have schemed some minor infringement up.

The short rich one needs to take the teams aside and sort this out before next season.

EDIT - Interestingly, now Vettel won't be docked 10 positions on Sunday's grid - that was originally his punishment for ramming Webber. Was this whole thing whipped up to allow Vettel to avoid punishment?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40952

It's absurd, F1 seems to revel in the bad press this year, all the stewards needed to do was watch the video once or twice then decide, not Hamilton thru the ringer taking hours & hours & leaking it to the press.

Vettel made a mistake & deserved his grid penalty, it just seems that they make up the rules as they go along these days

I don't see what he did wrong myself. So he took a corner wide behind the safety car to avoid the spray and took a drier route - big deal! Nigel Mansell used that move over and over again!

At the end of the day, the two muppets behind him shouldn't have been going fast enough to crash like they did, they should have been further apart - and if the driver that crashed into that other car couldn't see to react in time, then perhaps he should visit Specasavers.

It seems as though a poor decision was made on tyres, but it seems they were waiting to see what the weather did and also to improve the re-fuelling window. A gamble that didn't pay off.

Normally I would have been quite downbeat about it, but Hamilton's positiveness within minutes of getting out of the car was so encouraging. A lot of other drivers would have been fuming and pinning the blame on someone, but not Hamilton. His one liner 'We can still do it' says it all for me. Bring on Brazil in 2 weeks.. :thumbsup:

Was cursing at the time, couldn't believe that they risked it all by staying out as long as they did, I mean if they had pitted earlier & lost time at least they would have been on the correct tyres & with the pace Hamilton showed in the early stages he would still have scored a healthy points paying position.

I agree with Steve though, his positivity is excellent, gona be edge of the seat stuff in Brazil

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go then...the final weekend and Hamilton is already facing a possible penalty due to using 2 sets of wet tyres during Friday practice. I just wish we could get back to racing. Every meeting has involved some controversy :(

I'm really suprised how many people are stating in the press that they are backing Alonso due to his experience. Has anyone looked at the current points table?

Good to see nothing has come of the tyre mix up, qualifying later on will be a little tense to say the least

The fine was so ridiculously small it is probably the equivalent to McLaren of me buying a penny chew.

Hamilton doesn't seem too bothered by Qualifying, which makes you wonder if there's a trick up someone's sleeve :confused:

I guess this season wasn't to be for Hamilton. The Ferraris put him off in the first corner, but his mistake was trying to fight with El Greaso. I thought it was going to be tough from that point, but to then suffer the loss of power he did, sealed his fate. Nonetheless he did a sterling effort of pushing and if only 2 more people had took each other out in front of him - it so nearly happened as well.

The consolation is that El Greaso got nothing from it, although its a real shame that McLaren came away from a torrid season with nowt.

All in all, its been a great season on the track, with Hamilton having a storming rookie year. Bring on March 2008 and hopefully a lot less politics.

Hamilton continues to impress with his attitude & humble nature, the reaction from both his father & Lewis himself was excellent & I agree with Steve, at least Alonso didn't win the title.

This whole appeal business is a little tedious, it kinda adds another sour aspect to an already bitter season.

Hopefully Alonso will be put on gardening leave so that he can't compete next year or even better be loaned out to Spyker & we can have a good battle between Hamilton, Massa & Raikkonen

Hamilton could be crowned the champion on Sunday, only for him to be docked 10 points the following week because Ferrari have schemed some minor infringement up.

Well my prediction was on the right sort of lies, except the tables have been turned on Ferrari.

Hindsight is a great thing, but the BMWs and Willaims did seem to be going remarkably well :ph34r:

Can we please make 2008 a more straightforward season :rolleyes:

Archived