My 1st recorded mix on youtube

DeAnO

Hi, How is everyone? Sorry i havent posted on the forum for ages but ive been really busy with my new place. Ive also been practising alot on my decks recently and managed to throw together a 10 minute mix for youtube. As it was you's that gave me advice last year when i started djing i thought you could give me some feedback on the video i made. :D If you like can you either let me know on this or leave a comment on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCqAv8y9AqA

Cheers people, looking forward to hear what you all think.

Hey Deano

Like the idea of whipping up a demo in vid format - v.neat!

With regards to your mix, great to see ya getting something out there. Not a member of UTube so thought post some comments here as you wanted

1) Fairly decent effects and that mixer is the boy - wasn't too keen on that effect on the vox breakdown part of Genetic - it kinda distorted the track and generally you shouldn't interupt breakdowns (IMO) - best to use those sorta things on a buildup and just as it bout to kick in if you get me...

2) Quite like your cut ups on the Durand remix - why didn't you continue that when you mixed it in? Decent mix there though

3) Not sure if you were just trying to whack in the tunes you did in 10 mins, but don't think you should have mixed out of it so quickly esp as the main part of that track was just bout to kick in..?

Nevertheless, practice does make perfect and I am sure if you keep it up you will be constantly improving and perfecting your mixing/mixes. Wish I had the time to jump back on and play/practice as much as I used to (would like to)...

Alright Aza, one of the main people i wanted to see the video. The distortion on my video didnt come from either the effects on the mixer or my speakers. It was due to me recording it on my webcam and it sitting next to my speakers. Next time i make one i will try and avoid it and use something alot better to record. During the mix i did try and whack on as many tunes on as possible. Due to this it does sound like the middle 2 tracks are getting mixed out before they actually kick in but the 1st and the 4th track get left to play. Im practising as much as possible now and my overall mixing has improved so much recently im now rarely making mistakes during larger mixes. Cheers for the advice mate.

Alright Bjorn, hows things mate? As i said to Aza the distortion is only from me recording it through my web cam. Even with the levels fully up the sound is still perfect due to the quility of the mixer. Ive noticed in a good few of the clubs ive been in aswell that the levels are never out of the red too. What did you actually think of my mixing mate? Cheers for the advice :D

Cheers Jason, well happy with that vote!! :D This is the 1st ive actually recorded myself ever. Decided to go with the 10 minute mix rather than a longer one. Youtube had a competition where you had to fit as much into 10 minutes as possible and also show how good you were. Have to say its a s*** load harder than just mixing a song out and in at the end of the songs.

just had a quick scout...

One tip for u mate - turn your levels down!!!! Keep em down in the green matey - the higher u push the gain/trim the lower the sound quality ;)

Stunning mixer, i want one well badly...!

Bjorno mate - just wondering fella (and other fellow dj's alike) what levels do you sit around on? I've even asked about this and he advised about +1/2 because of the best signal to noise ratio or somthing along those lines...