Judge Jules Tribute Record

Alex

I've produced this record as a tribute to jules saturday night show which ends of course this saturday and also really as an appreciation of all the great house and progressive music he's played on saturday nights over the years. I've emailed him aswell to ask whether he'll be continuing with house/progressive tunes in his new show and am now awaiting a response.

In producing the record I have drawn on influences from some the greatest house and progressive producers whose material has been played by jules over the past few years. The major influences for me in making this track are Nu Electric - No Matter What (Jupiter Ace Mix), CRW - I Feel Love, Jupiter Ace 1,000 Years, Eric Prydz - In and Out (Eric Prydz Remix), and the phenomenal One Hit Wonders - Grace Of God.

So it's meant to be a kind of mixed bag of all those influences really to reflect the general style of the greatest music (housewise) that jules has played over the years, aswell as my own influences of course. Theres also a hint of a hoxton whores style electro influence aswell in the baseline. The vocals, which i have also permormed myself sound a bit like something out of the 80's and I think theres a bit of Duran Duran influence there aswell.

Link to 128 mp3 version below and feedback is greatly appreciated!....

http://www.secondperspective.co.uk/Second%...%20Mix)-128.mp3

What about his Friday show!

Downloaded this - the vocals (words) made me laugh solidly for about 2 minutes... without sounding harsh it might sound like a gay come-on to Jules ;), but you sound like a mixture between the man from Conductor & the Cowboy and Duran Duran (you were right) which I liked... synths were a bit dated, like that old midi sound you get on your PC whilst you're using one of those dodgy programs to crack the serial for some software. Though I reckon if you added some more layers to the sound it would sound more impressive. Good tune though and I think you have a skeleton to work on definitely, you should touch this up (musically) as it would be a waste on an idea.

Well done sir! :)

Edited by Quadrant

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

I would have replied sooner, but didn't receive any reply notifications as my email address was out of date!

Part of me wishes i hadn't said it was a tribute to jules's sat show, then i might not have got so many laughs! lol. LOL about the gay come on one though! lol Note I said it was a triubute to his show, not a tribute to him! lol. I didn't set out with the intention of creating a jules tribute record, but it kind of evolved into that. I was happy to dedicate the end result to his saturday show though as it seemed very appropriate. Also, it's ironic that someone said i was right about it sounding like Duran Duran, because i was getting confused when i said that. I actually meant The Human League and Depech Mode! But then again a lot of bands like that were using that style of vocal in the 80's weren't they?

As for the record it's self anyway, thanks for the feedback once again. Although i was looking for a little advice in the eqing department if anyone could help me with that? I'm just doing some eq work on the record atm as jules reckoned the vocal needed some eq attention so i hightened the 500hz+ range and pretty much muted anything below 250. The vocal then sounded a lot more crisp and clear and less "muffled". Then on top of that I then hightened the upper end and lower ends of the entire record as a whole, but someone else i sent it to reckons it's too top heavy now.

Basically i'm just tryint to create that crisp "dance" sound. i.e most modern sound cards & cd players etc will let you adjust the eq levels to certain presets. The "dance" one always seems to reduce the midi and highten the bass and treble, and it ussually sounds better. So I figured why not make it sound like that by default, when the eq's of the cd player or whatever, are equal? Hence why i set out to do that. But then i figured what about people who always have the eq set to 'dance' by default? It's gonna sound all tinny and hollow to them! So i'm a little confused now. Surely a record that sounded crisp and basey by default would be preferable. Then it would sound better in a club for example without the dj having to adjust the levels manually? Or perhaps it's just not a good idea to mess with conventions like that even if the logic is sound?! lol

The link to the "crispier" version below anyway, so feedback and advice appreciated. Cheers!

http://www.secondperspective.co.uk/Second%...%20Mix)-128.mp3