The Summer Party @ Nottingham Uni

It all went off yesterday on the Downs...

Few good bands there and Lucie Silvas looking damn fine :P But I headed off to see some more electronic stuff in the tents - some cool local breaks DJs doing their thing, as well as Roots Manuva. Didn't head near the RnB tent tho! Managed to catch a bit of Stanton Warriors rocking it, as were Yousef and Annie Nightingale in the Firefly tent. Annie is such a legend, but bless her, she can't mix, lol. Mucho enjoyed her tunes tho, The Chems, breaks mix of La La Land and That Zipper Track as standouts. Oh and she also dropped Adam Freeland's 7th Nation Army remix that i've been playing on my radio show and people keep requesting, and the crowd loved it! So it'll be on as the big tune from the party on Monday evening 8)

Yeah I see you made that Adam Freeland tune your tune of the week on your last radio show - for me it's surprising that such a tune gets an enormous reaction - some tracks do when played out loud (& live).

What's Annie like mixing then? On the radio she sounds as if intoxicated half the time :!:

The tune of the week was going to be Corderoy - 'Drifting', but changed it after seeing Annie. I think it got such a good reaction because everyone recognised the track and were a bit drunk too, lol. But also I like the track myself, and i've had genuine requests for it on my show from people who aren't my mates 2 weeks running (considering only been on for 5 shows, that's not bad). Not my usual style from past T.O.T.W's I know!

Annie's mixing is sporadic, in the sense that she looks like she's going to mix a record, but then just plays them full length, lol. SHe had her headfones on for ages, cueing up the track etc, then let 'Galvanize' run on to the end and brough in Adam Freeland right from the beginning, considering it's a 9 min track with a hefty build up it's really surprising. Ah well, the crowd didn't seem to mind!

I couldn't quite work out what she was doing some of the time, don't think she knew either, lol. She just couldn't get the beats to match! Even when she deliberately slowed down the record that was playing out to the audience at that time, lol.

Shes a lady.......sucky sucky bucky bucky gigy gigy :wink: :wink: :wink:

hes got about by playing chedder mixes to kids, havn never actuallt heard dave piss beat match! hear him at OBW and the 1st mix was like the last 100 yrad of the grand national. and iwas in bcm last year and waslked in and he was on, im damaged v's lizard was playing, then he just cut to komodo, that was enough for me. we left!

yep, proper right, who cares bout mixing if the tunes are awesome and the dj can get the crowd going!!  :lol:

Its too easy to get hung up on what the mixing is like. I suppose because we can mix ourselves and find it embarrassing when the dj you've paid to go and see cocks up. (And besides, we're all miles better than the guys we pay to see :D :wink: )

yeah, thats true, i bet when your up there the nerves are rediculiously intense for inexperienced dj's. I suppsoe evryone messes up once in a while - any everheard tiesto make a mistake? I hated all that violin playing over his disneyland set - sounded well out of tune - the stuff on Tiesto IN COncert is much better, sound levels are correct, etc...

Archived