Justin Haze @ Pipers Nightclub

Going to be promoting and DJ`ing at my own night on the 22nd December. Cant wait, just getting prices for flyers etc. Not the biggest or flashiest club but its made my day. Should be a busy night as its the saturday before X mas, hopefully it will cover the costs.

Any info or advice welcome as ive never run a night before :o

You've done well to get a prime date for your first night - good luck with it mate :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve - yeah had to twist a few arms to get that date! Another thing i forgot to mention is although ive had people offering help but im thinking about doing the whole night myself, funky electro right through to hard trance. Im mega ethusiastic about doing it , has anyone done a set for that long or is it a bad move?

Cheers Steve - yeah had to twist a few arms to get that date! Another thing i forgot to mention is although ive had people offering help but im thinking about doing the whole night myself, funky electro right through to hard trance. Im mega ethusiastic about doing it , has anyone done a set for that long or is it a bad move?

I have absolutely no experience, but my initial thought was that if you are promoting, maybe you will need time on the night to organise other things? Perhaps give yourself a set part way through the evening and that still allows you time to oversee things?? I could be talking rubbish...I'm sure others will have a view on this.

Excellent stuff mate, all the best with it!

If you're gona be promoting the night don't play the entire set yourself. Ideally get a couple of local DJs (whom you know are decent) to come & play for free, also encourage them to bring as many friends as possible as it will broaden the audience for your night. You'll have two or three circles of friends making the journey as opposed to just your mates.

Also try & make sure that the night has something of a flow to it. Ensure that the guys you're getting in to play know what they're gona be doing, I've played quite a few nights where I've been booked to play progressive only to find the guy on before me playing banging 140bpm techno & the guy after me playing the same. Try & find some guys that have knowledge of the way a night should work.

Personally if I were you I'd play the penultimate set prior to closing, make sure that the night is off to a good start & ensure that you can organise things & be seen amongst the crowd, playing somewhere in the middle will also gurantee that you can be free to wonder towards the end of the night.

Dependent upon how big or how often you're gona host the night maybe create a DSI group or certainly get an entry on there aswell as harderfaster & then generally hit forums (national ones like this & any local ones you can find) to bump up interest. Then just promote it, maybe head along to the venue for the immediate 4 weeks prior to it and mix with the people there, tell them about your 'big Christmas event' etc.

Finally, make sure you enjoy yourself with it, don't get too stressed :)

I have to say, doing the whole night yourself is pretty ambitious and I would recommend against it. Like love-making, a little variety is always a good plan, especially if you share you duties with a couple of good, trusted mates. As Tom says, you can dip in and out and manage the whole thing a littler easier and get different people who go there mixing together. It will also allow you to take a step back and enjoy the night :)

I have to say, doing the whole night yourself is pretty ambitious and I would recommend against it. Like love-making, a little variety is always a good plan, especially if you share you duties with a couple of good, trusted mates. As Tom says, you can dip in and out and manage the whole thing a littler easier and get different people who go there mixing together. It will also allow you to take a step back and enjoy the night :)

One important thing i forgot to mention is im doing this with a very good mate , whos going to be doing all the behind scenes stuff. Sorting the flyer design at the second - ill up it once its all paid for. Cheers for the advice and support fellas i shall take it all on board :mrgreen:

Armour is too heavy for modern events like this. However I may bring in my 15th Century "Marloquis" dagger and other implements into the venue, if I am allowed, as I might find some interested sellers in there willing to part cash for some of my collection.

• 2 months later...
Just digging thru some old posts & thought I'd ask how this one went mate?

Thanks for asking Tom , it well alright mate, i had a really positive reaction about the music policy and my dj`ing skills. :ph34r: - I covered the expenses and made two hundred quid -which for a first night aint so sad, definately had a great time playing trance rather than the usual tripe. Just looking for another venue at the second as the place we held it at (unknowing to me) had a bit of a bad reputation and to top that there was a stabbing in there on a DnB night the week before apparently. So i was definately up against it....But im still extremely ethusiastic about doing another one just depends on the costs.

Again thanks for asking :thumbsup:

A good start to things then, always sad about uneeded violcenc in clubs..and it always seems to go handin hand with black music sadly :( (from everything i see and read!)

Hopefully going to meet up with another promoter tomorrow for a coffee and have a chat about working together at a bigger and much better venue - so fingers crossed!

Well things went well, in principle ive secured a night in nearby Ashford at the trendy three zero bar / club which is rough 300 capacity. I can do as i please music / promotion wise although ill have to check the venue out before i decide what best suits the place. Im really excited as this is a definate move up the ladder dj wise and im starting to mix with the local promoters more which will lead to more prospects. Ill have a definate in the new year so fingers crossed! :D