2001-06-17 - Essential Mix #19 - Judge Jules, Live from Gatecrasher's Summer Sound System, Oxfordshire

FuzzY-LogiC

2001-06-17 - Essential Mix #19 - Judge Jules, Live from Gatecrasher's Summer Sound System, Oxfordshire

View File

BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix with Judge Jules

Sunday, 17th June 2001

Live from Gatecrasher's Summer Sound System

01. Studio 613 - 'Join Me To The Moon' [WAX]

02. Riva - 'Stringer' (Tall Paul Remix) [United]

03. No-One Driving - 'Playa Sol' [Phoenix Platinum]

04. Cosmic Gate - 'Firewire' (LCF Mix) [Data]

05. Fire & Ice - 'Forever Young' [Bonzai]

06. The Green Martian - 'Industry' [Bonzai]

07. Airwave - 'Save Me' [Bonzai]

08. Nuw Idol - 'Defiant' [WellWicked]

09. Joy Kitikonti - 'Joy Energizer' [BXR]

10. Hi-Gate - 'You & Me' (Original Mix) [Incentive]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Judge Jules was so drunk that he only played the essential mix for an hour then stopped. He was supposed to be on for another hour but couldn't continue. His shout outs on the mic were hilarious. Matt Hardwick stepped in and played until the sun came up. It was amazing. That's where I heard Vanessa Mae - White Bird (Cosmic Gate Remix) for the first time. I searched for a whole summer for a copy. Greatest breakbeat moment in a track there has ever been. Unforgettable.

From that day to this I've always known that you can rely on Matt Hardwick. I miss the lineups of those days.

Hardwick, Jules, Bond, PvD, Tall Paul... so good.

GCSSS01 was brilliant.

I thought his mixing was a bit off key compared to his Saturday show that was broadcast a few hours before! Saying that I can't argue with his track selection mind, Airwave & Fire and Ice are just so special. As for this being an hour, I'm sure he shared the essential mix that Sunday morning with Paul Van Dyk who did the first hour and Jules the second. This file has just been edited to include Jules, but I've heard PVD's hour on soundcloud.

I was only 12 at the time this went out so wasn't old enough to be there. But it looked a good setup, is it still going in some form?

gcsss005.jpg

Just to add a comment.. I just checked my copy of the EM.

Jules introduction at the start of the Essential Mix:

"For the next two hours you got an hour of the berlinese, if that's what you call it. Maestro Paul Van Dyk, and the second hour from me Judge Jules..."

Si, I too fell for the Cosmic Gate remix of 'White Bird' back then... such a brilliant track!

• 2 weeks later...

Join Me To The Moon by Studio 613 & Playa Sol by No-one Driving are actually pretty rare, you can't download them legally or illegally anywhere. I bought them on vinyl a couple of years back.

The Playa Sol tune is actually a limited test pressing, as there was a version remixed by Novacane that came out in 2002 I think. The Novacane one had a woman on the vocal and sounded far weaker than the version on here.

Sadly Playa Sol was broken clean in half when it came through the post (thanks Royal Mail), I got some double sided tape and strapped it to an old white label of some crap garage tune that came out of a collection. It plays all the way through, but I took some weight off the needle and captured in wav format so I could play it on my CDJ's.

I have promos of the novacane vs playa sol version and even another version (can't remember the name) all on sony labels (Direction and... Epic I think), seems the original sample used couldn't be cleared so as per usual a new part was recorded so a version could be released proper. I did in the end get the orig version you have off Briggsy a few years ago thankfully!

Join Me To The Moon (for want of ryhming) is a tune that I love but still have never got round to buying (one of many!).

Other than that I don't have Defiant either yet (can't remember how it goes hah!)

Join Me To The Moon (for want of ryhming) is a tune that I love but still have never got round to buying (one of many!).

I'll send you Studio 613 if you don't have it in any form.

It goes under a few names online, 'Hi Boppers - Journey To The Moon' is another one.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro on this thread. Had to join to leave a comment on this one though.

First, I too own a copy of Studio 613 - Join me to the Moon. God I love that track. Sought it out on vinyl after going to this and dancing like a muppet.

Oh and about the photo that's posted above, I'm 99% sure that the guy with the shaven head in the lower left corner is me. Also, the setup for the plastic sheeting above the decks was a joke - water kept building up in it so they had to keep pushing it out to drain it, otherwise the whole thing would've caved in on itself, and that'd have really ruined the show!.

Good times!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2013 at 5:24 PM, lyndon said:

Join Me To The Moon by Studio 613 & Playa Sol by No-one Driving are actually pretty rare, you can't download them legally or illegally anywhere. I bought them on vinyl a couple of years back.

The Playa Sol tune is actually a limited test pressing, as there was a version remixed by Novacane that came out in 2002 I think. The Novacane one had a woman on the vocal and sounded far weaker than the version on here.

Sadly Playa Sol was broken clean in half when it came through the post (thanks Royal Mail), I got some double sided tape and strapped it to an old white label of some crap garage tune that came out of a collection. It plays all the way through, but I took some weight off the needle and captured in wav format so I could play it on my CDJ's.

So the version you're looking for is the original test pressing by No-One Driving on Phoenix Platinum, someone FINALLY uploaded it to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2aGMo5QKIU

the vocals are actually taken from the song "Dead can dance - the wind that shakes the barley"  just FYI.  I finally found it on vinyl and it should be here any day, was the last one at HTFR.

• 4 years later...