1997-08-17 - Essential Mix #6 - Judge Jules, Studio Session

DJTomasB

1997-08-17 - Essential Mix #6 - Judge Jules, Studio Session

View File

BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix with Judge Jules

Sunday, 17th August 1997

Studio Mix

01. Amos & Martin Luther King - 'Let Love Shine/I Have A Dream' (Bootleg) [white label]

02. Same People - 'Dangerous' (Original Mix) [Locked On/Same People]

03. Ronaldo - 'Good With The Bad' (Sunday Club Mix) [Blahh!]

04. Run DMC vs Jason Nevins - 'It's Like That' (Drop The Break) [Smile]

05. Mutronix - 'X-Amount Of Wickedness' (Dub Plate Style But No Wars) (Ruff Da'Menace Mix) [Obsessive House Recordings]

06. De Bos - 'On The Run' (Pulp Victim's Remake) [Playground Productions]

07. DJ Disco - 'We Like Disco' [King Size Records]

08. Bounce - 'Get Off The Floor' (Heads Up Mix) [Redlight Recordings]

09. DJ Dero - 'The Horn (El Tren)' (Mortal Whistle Mix) [Manifesto]

10. 3 Dubbs In A Sleeve - 'Un-Da-Ground' (Volume 2 EP) [Blue]

11. Daft Punk - 'Alive' (New Wave Final Mix) [Virgin]

12. Progress Funk - 'Around My Brain' (Miami By Night Mix) [DeConstruction]

13. Johan S. - 'Da Undaground' (Presents The Prime Target E.P.) [Club Kids]

14. 187 Lockdown - 'Gunman' (Original Mix) [Nu Jak/East West]

15. Stef 'n' Sander - 'You Do Me Wrong' (unknown remix) [Strictly Rhythm]

16. Mac Zimms - 'L'annonce Des Couleurs' (Original) [2Play Records]

17. Trevor Reilly - 'Down With The Underground' (Original Mix) [Manifesto]

18. Space Brothers - 'Forgiven (I Feel Your Love)' (Dub Vocal Mix) [Manifesto]

19. Lustral - 'Everytime' (Nalin & Kane Mix) [Manifesto]

20. JDS - 'Nine Ways' (Original Mix) [Crosstrax/FFRR]

21. 4Tress - 'Violated' (unknown mix) [Yeti]

22. Brainbug - 'Benedictos' (Exitiale Mix) [Positiva]

23. Da Hool - 'Meet Her At The Love Parade' (Nalin & Kane Mix) [Manifesto]

24. Tyrome - 'Monkey-Way' (12" Version) [Bonzai Trance Progressive]

25. Giselle Jackson - 'Love Commandments' (Loop Da Loop Dub) [Manifesto]

26. Chemical Brothers - It Doesn't Matter (Album Version) [Freestyle Dust]

27. Michael King - 'Renegade Bass' [Banging Records]

28. Wasis Diop feat. Lena Fiagbe - 'No Sant' (Flytronix 12" Remix) [Mercury]

29. unknown - 'unknown' [white label]

30. Erykah Badu - 'On & On' (West Coast D & B Mix) [Universal Records]

31. unknown - 'unknown' [white label]

32. Nookie & Larry Heard - 'Paradise' [SMEJ Associated Records]

33. Meat Katie - 'Boned' (Lunatic Calm Mix) [King Size]

34. Max 404 - 'Lament' (Before & After EP) [Evolution / Universal Language Productions Ltd.]

35. Lexicon vs Machine Man - 'Funk Corner' [Plastic City]

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

My fave mix of JJ.

He played many of these tunes @ Ministry and Turnmills during summer 97. Dj Disco with the Cheech and Chong sample! Opened the set in July with Love Commandments... I remember Jaydee: Plastic Dreams- Morales mix, Daf: battered... Blackout: Gotta have hope... De Boss, on the run... GOD: Inside your Mind (off Classics and a big tune in 95) Cafe Del Mar, Da Hool, Tyrome... TONS!!!! I sold pills in the Ministry when I was off my face ... really don't know how I got away with that as so many people got caught in there lol... John Kelly was always with Jules on those gigs... wicked DJ, really tight... He came on after Oakenfold in Oct 98 and wiped the floor with him doing a wkd set of trance.

ID's

Dj Dero: The horn (el tren)

Mike Ruffcut Loyd: X amount of Wickedness

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Bongoloid77!

The ID of X-Amount of Wickedness is Mark 'Ruff' Ryder aka Mutronix... It was already in the tracklisting archive here: http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?/page/index.html/_/1992-2013/1997/1997-08-17-r6

Unfortunately the tracklisting archive isn't synched with the tracklists in the audio archive, and sometimes we miss differences in the TL's.

They are "synched" now :)

• 9 months later...

Just updated the audio with the newest version (now complete with both intro and outro!) and corrected TL courtesy of DJTomasB! :thumbsup:

Dear FuzzY-LogiC, thank you for posting this version of Jugde´s EM. I hope JJA community members will bear the wobbling quality of this mix. It has been put together from several different cassette tapes, some of them I was playing to death back in the day.

Several more comments about TL:

n. 01: Amos & Martin Luther King - Let Love Shine/I Have A Dream - it is a great mystery for me. No records about bootleg version(s) on the web. Amos released his "Let Love Shine" in 1995 and this Judge´s Essential Mix version is similar to Cleveland City Dub but not identical. If Julesy had used this Cleveland City Dub version he would have edited it or used at least 2 same vinyls to get rid of some vocals which are in Cleveland City Dub version. In the the Essential Mix they are missing, though. Only Mr. Jules knows what it had been if he could remember it after such immense portion of time.

n. 29: Nookie aka Cloud Nine - Warriors Revenge [Acetate] could be either track n. 29 or n. 31. unfortunately, I could have not checked this tune elsewhere, however, Nookie with Warriors Revenge is mentioned in original TL.

n. 30: JJA member - 'SEARCHY' says that it is: Erykah Badu - On & On [West Coast D & B Mix] (White Label/Universal Records) I could have not checked this remix elsewhere.

n. 32: Nookie & Larry Heard - Paradise [Mix??] (SMEJ Associated Records) (it is NOT THE DUB, there is VOCAL in it) again, JJA member - 'SEARCHY' put on the web the Dub version, as he wrote, he had this amazing tune on the vinyl, you could ask him about the right version if you keep in touch.

+ some more tracks I was not able to check the right mixes

the info about n. 30 and n. 32 I luckily found thanks to - 1997-02-xx - Kiss 100FM - Judge Jules, with guest Allister Whitehead AUDIO DISCUSSION THREAD

• 3 weeks later...

Tomas B. THANK YOU for this version of the emix! Was out clubbing when it was on so could only ever get the crummy sounding, incomplete versions... this is pitched faster, too... the right bpm!

The Amos tune is at the end of John Kelly's Mix on Introspective of House 3rd Dimension. I have the 10 inch record in my collection from the old days when I used to DJ in bars and basement clubs along Fulham Road in Chelsea (then known as the beach) in the late 90s. He finished his set with it @ Ministry in July 97 after doing 2 hours of pure pumpin club biz

Hearing him spin that Nevins v Run DMC in summer 97... who would have known how massive that track would become! Love the Jungle Brothers - Hitmen and Bambaata house mixes, too....

Never found this mix of De Boss: On the run, either...

The funky breaks track labelled as Prime Target, is it Johan S? Thats what i loved most about Jules, those obscure funky White Labels he always got hold of ... the groove it samples is from Mings Disco Machine, also sampled by Deborah Wilson on "Free" which Jules used on his JDJ mix in 93... funky. Love how he brings it in over Progress Funk's acid breaks.

The Mac Zimms tune is what uplifiting is all about...

• Like 1

Tomas B. THANK YOU for this version of the emix! Was out clubbing when it was on so could only ever get the crummy sounding, incomplete versions... this is pitched faster, too... the right bpm!

The Amos tune is at the end of John Kelly's Mix on Introspective of House 3rd Dimension. I have the 10 inch record in my collection from the old days when I used to DJ in bars and basement clubs along Fulham Road in Chelsea (then known as the beach) in the late 90s. He finished his set with it @ Ministry in July 97 after doing 2 hours of pure pumpin club biz

Hearing him spin that Nevins v Run DMC in summer 97... who would have known how massive that track would become! Love the Jungle Brothers - Hitmen and Bambaata house mixes, too....

The funky breaks track labelled as Prime Target, is it Johan S? Thats what i loved most about Jules, those obscure funky White Labels he always got hold of ... the groove it samples is from Mings Disco Machine, also sampled by Deborah Wilson on "Free" which Jules used on his JDJ mix in 93... funky. Love how he brings it in over Progress Funk's acid breaks.

Thank you Bongoloid77 for comments and amazing facts!

Mac Zimms tune is one of my favourites in this EM, uplifing and epic indeed!

"The Amos tune is at the end of John Kelly's Mix on Introspective of House 3rd Dimension. I have the 10 inch record in my collection" Have you got it with Martin Luther King´s speech? As I wrote earlier Amos released this track back in 1995. This Julesy´s EM version is a mystery for me. No records about bootleg version(s) on the web.

Thank you Bongoloid77 for comments and amazing facts!

Mac Zimms tune is one of my favourites in this EM, uplifing and epic indeed!

"The Amos tune is at the end of John Kelly's Mix on Introspective of House 3rd Dimension. I have the 10 inch record in my collection" Have you got it with Martin Luther King´s speech? As I wrote earlier Amos released this track back in 1995. This Julesy´s EM version is a mystery for me. No records about bootleg version(s) on the web.

Yes it has the speech... John Kelly Played it at the end of his set @ Ministry in July 97. It was on a White Label... the official Positiva release didn't have, which is probably down to Copyright, etc ... That was one wkd summer of tunes from Jules. Saw him all over the place... Gallery @ Turnmills on my birthday, The Cross, Peach @ Camden Palace... am putting together mixes from 95-99 featuring tunes I heard him spin that never made it onto released mixes or this Emix... I will upload them here when ready

• 1 month later...

I have been searching everywhere for this mix and have landed here on this site. I am desperate to listen to the set but cannot download it as I have not enough postings. If it turns out to be the set I remember then it is one of the most memorable in the history of the essential mix, a true masterpiece. Hopefully I will be able to listen to it soon.

I have been searching everywhere for this mix and have landed here on this site. I am desperate to listen to the set but cannot download it as I have not enough postings. If it turns out to be the set I remember then it is one of the most memorable in the history of the essential mix, a true masterpiece. Hopefully I will be able to listen to it soon.

Hello Hart, although I am just a humble servant, I hope the Godfathers will not be offended if I say: welcome on aboard!

To download any audio file it should be enough to write one post, if I am not mistaken, to say hello, possibly something about you in a Members´ Discussion, Open Chat, New Member pops in to say Hello section. This is what I did and since then I have been enjoying the site! If there is a problem afterwards, please contact the moderators, or you can download this Julesy´s EM directly from my profile on Soundcloud.com

This EM is SPECIAL and also one of my favourites! Some amagizing and timeless tunes there!

By the way, other audio files with more Judge´s brilliant showcase as well as audio discussion threads worth checking!

DJTomasB

• 1 year later...

Awesome!

We recently moved house, and found the tape of this I recorded off the radio back in August '97. Popped it on this evening, and have been dancing round the kitchen to it with my daughter and wife. :D

I used to do a lot of driving back in the late 90s, and this was always my favourite mix tape to bang on when I had a long drive.

Anyway, have found a kindred spirit where I now work, and we've been sharing lots of CDs, mixes and downloads recently, and would like to share this one with him - so did a bit of t'interweb searching, and came across this great site. I know he's going to appreciate this one. :)

I'm also looking forward to hearing the last half hour of the mix for the first time as I recorded it on to a 90 minute tape. 

One final point - the Heads Up Mix of Bounce, 'Get Off The Floor' is one of my favourite tracks of all time, and I've never come across it anywhere else. SO good to hear it again.

Thanks muchly for the share! Looking forward to browsing the rest of the site for some more great mixes.

BBB x

• 4 years later...

TL correction: almost ready to have it full in its entirity.

n. 15 = S'n'S – Y.D.W. aka Stef 'n' Sander - You Do Me Wrong (Master Blaster Scratch Mix) [Strictly Rhythm]

n. 21 = 4Tress - 'Violated' (Extended Dub Mix) [Yeti]

n. 29 = Unknown Artist - Fight Them (Peshay Remix) [Scam Recordings] as stated on Discogs vinyl with awesome Peshay jazzy d´n´b was released in 2000. Peshay, however, used this same track in his compilation: The Edge - Intelligent Drum & Bass V6 / S2 (sometime in 1996/1997)

n. 30 = Erykah Badu - 'On & On' (Blu Mar Ten Remix) [Universal Records] not the West Coast D & B Mix

n. 31 = Cloud Nine - Warriors Revenge (Acetate/Labello Blanco Recordings)

01. Amos & Martin Luther King - 'Let Love Shine/I Have A Dream' (Bootleg) [white label]

02. Same People - 'Dangerous' (Original Mix) [Locked On/Same People]

03. Ronaldo - 'Good With The Bad' (Sunday Club Mix) [Blahh!]

04. Run DMC vs Jason Nevins - 'It's Like That' (Drop The Break) [Smile]

05. Mutronix - 'X-Amount Of Wickedness' (Dub Plate Style But No Wars) (Ruff Da'Menace Mix) [Obsessive House Recordings]

06. De Bos - 'On The Run' (Pulp Victim's Remake) [Playground Productions]

07. DJ Disco - 'We Like Disco' [King Size Records]

08. Bounce - 'Get Off The Floor' (Heads Up Mix) [Redlight Recordings]

09. DJ Dero - 'The Horn (El Tren)' (Mortal Whistle Mix) [Manifesto]

10. 3 Dubbs In A Sleeve - 'Un-Da-Ground' (Volume 2 EP) [Blue]

11. Daft Punk - 'Alive' (New Wave Final Mix) [Virgin]

12. Progress Funk - 'Around My Brain' (Miami By Night Mix) [DeConstruction]

13. Johan S. - 'Da Undaground' (Presents The Prime Target E.P.) [Club Kids]

14. 187 Lockdown - 'Gunman' (Original Mix) [Nu Jak/East West]

15. S'n'S – Y.D.W. aka Stef 'n' Sander - You Do Me Wrong (Master Blaster Scratch Mix) [Strictly Rhythm]

16. Mac Zimms - 'L'annonce Des Couleurs' (Original) [2Play Records]

17. Trevor Reilly - 'Down With The Underground' (Original Mix) [Manifesto]

18. Space Brothers - 'Forgiven (I Feel Your Love)' (Dub Vocal Mix) [Manifesto]

19. Lustral - 'Everytime' (Nalin & Kane Mix) [Manifesto]

20. JDS - 'Nine Ways' (Original Mix) [Crosstrax/FFRR]

21. 4Tress - 'Violated' (Extended Dub Mix) [Yeti]

22. Brainbug - 'Benedictos' (Exitiale Mix) [Positiva]

23. Da Hool - 'Meet Her At The Love Parade' (Nalin & Kane Mix) [Manifesto]

24. Tyrome - 'Monkey-Way' (12" Version) [Bonzai Trance Progressive]

25. Giselle Jackson - 'Love Commandments' (Loop Da Loop Dub) [Manifesto]

26. Chemical Brothers - It Doesn't Matter (Album Version) [Freestyle Dust]

27. Michael King - 'Renegade Bass' [Banging Records]

28. Wasis Diop feat. Lena Fiagbe - 'No Sant' (Flytronix 12" Remix) [Mercury]

29. Unknown Artist - Fight Them (Peshay Remix) [Scam Recordings]

30. Erykah Badu - 'On & On' (Blu Mar Ten Remix) [Universal Records]

31. Cloud Nine - Warriors Revenge [Acetate/Labello Blanco Recordings]

32. Nookie & Larry Heard - 'Paradise' [SMEJ Associated Records]

33. Meat Katie - 'Boned' (Lunatic Calm Mix) [King Size]

34. Max 404 - 'Lament' (Before & After EP) [Evolution / Universal Language Productions Ltd.]

35. Lexicon vs Machine Man - 'Funk Corner' [Plastic City]