Jules R1 22/12/07 Best Of 07 Special

JasonB

Tom Day – Whisper (Kitschy)

Tomcraft & Republica – Ready To Go (Kosmo)

Sander Van Doorn – The Riff (Nebula)

Albert Voorn – Formentera What [Gareth Emery Remix] (Club Elite)

Ferry Corsten’s Choice

Breakfast – The Sunshine (Flashover)

3 Tracks Back2Back

Above & Beyond – Home [Above & Beyond Club Mix] (Anjunabeats)

Joop – The Future (High Contrast)

Vincent De Moor – Fly Away [Cosmic Gate Mix] (Combined Forces)

Armin Van Buuren’s Choice

John O’Callaghan feat. Audrey Gallagher – Big Sky [Agnelli & Nelson Mix] (Armind)

Richard Durand – We’re Here To Rock (Terminal)

Gossip – Standing In The Way Of Control [NuSense Mix] (White Label)

Dogzilla – Frozen (Maelstrom)

Paul Van Dyk’s Choice

Armandi pres. Many Reid – Up The Tempo (Bonzai)

3 Tracks Back2Back

Randy Katana – Session Impossible (Jinx)

Jose Gonzales – Crosses [Daniel Ercole Mix] (White Label)

Gleave – Fire Devil (Detox)

Tiesto’s Choice

First State – Falling (In Trance We Trust)

Minamalistix – Whistling Drive (Moskito)

Red Hot Chili Peppers – Waiting For [Genix Mix] (White Label)

Super 8 & DJ Tab – Need To Feel [Wippenberg Remix] (Anjunabeats)

Sander Van Doorn’s Choice

Marcel Woods – Lemon Tree (High Contrast)

John Gibbons – Beautiful Filth (Tekelek)

Hemstock & Jennings – LA2DC [Dale Corderoy Mix] (Used & Abused)

Sam Ho – Alexia [Original Mix] (Loverush Digital)

Edited by JasonB

Hemstock & Jennings – LA2DC [Dale Corderoy Mix] (Used & Abused)

CHOOOOOON. Shamefully I only got the ID of this last nite whilst listening to the show :lol: Had heard it in ibiza an a few other places but never went about ID'ing it.. Not usually into these vocal numbers these days but this one has somethin special about it IMO!!

Some very strange choices in there to be honest. Jules has supported far better tunes this year - half of those are average at the most.
<_<

Pffffff, not sure about ur comment dude :huh: ;

It's very rare to please just about everyone with a single dance track these days considering the amount of producers that are around of late, the competition just seems to be increasing all the time in every genre of dance music when it comes to productions & I must admit I would have prefared to have seen a few alternative tracks featured instead of others that were played on the show, but thats just my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on each & every track, which is the way it should be obviously otherwise the world would be a boring place.

However 'In my opinion' I'm pissed off to see u say that 'Half of those are average at most'........I think folk like yourself need to take a step back when it comes to tunes & see past their own opinions sometimes & appreciate the engineering & time 'n' effort that goes into createn them! If u either love them or hate them, the majority of these tracks have been hugely successful throughout 2007 with big support from the top DJ's with big spins allover the world & its for a reason mate! They are well thought out tracks & remixes by the producers & if you take some time to listen to the engineering & arrangement behind the majority of these tunes you will find there are loads of individual; Effects, MIDI's & percussion all blended together to give an excellent final product. It's such a difficult thing to do, to nail it. Writing a hook / lead or bassline that sounds good is a nightmare as it is, never mind tryen to get everything to blend in to give u the right groove, it takes a hell of a lot of effort & patience to do & thats me just goin' by personal experience & I have barely started producen, I'm sure every single producer will vouch for me on that note!

I have total respect for all these guys for nailen' their sound & coming up with really successful tunes with the majority of clubbers & DJ's in their genres this year due to their excellent engineering & I can see why Jules has supported them on his show even if some of the tracks don't agree with my taste in music which I am into at the moment. Think you're attitude towards some of these tracks by the sounds of it comes across slightly arrogant in the way you state that their productions are 'Average at most' dude....don't get that one to be honest!

I was definately surprised by some of the tracks some more than others, truely these are tracks that have got biggest receptions when hes played them this year I would gather.

I agree with steve and respect briggsys opinion and add that there are alot of tracks out there more in of my taste that jukes played than the ones he played during this show.

Still at least he didnt play his remix of razorlight:P

Jules' choices are basically the tracks that he feels have been worthy of recognition in '07, that's fair enough. I don't think Briggsy was really putting down the guys who make the tracks just saying that his personal favourites are missing & that he finds some of the choices a little strange.

I know from talking to a lot of people on this board that tastes are vastly varied from person to person, if I did a similar show I'm sure a few of my tracks would attract a similar response, just the way it is

I don't think Briggsy was really putting down the guys who make the tracks just saying that his personal favourites are missing & that he finds some of the choices a little strange.

Exactly! Its very rare I put down a producer. Production takes a lot of imagination and creativity - especially when you look at producers like Lange and Ferry Corsten that have done it for ten years, yet still produce awesome tracks. Their imagination never runs dry.

However, no matter how good some producers are, some tunes they produce can be average compared to other tunes that are around - and I feel Jules's set had a few average tunes - Whistling Drive being one of them. Some may like it, others may not - I can take it or leave it - but at the end of the day, there's just nothing special about it compared to some of the tunes Jules has played this year.

However 'In my opinion' I'm pissed off to see u say that 'Half of those are average at most'........I think folk like yourself need to take a step back when it comes to tunes & see past their own opinions sometimes & appreciate the engineering & time 'n' effort that goes into createn them!

As a reviewer for my website, I often have to see past my opinions. I've often rated a tune a 9 out of 10 because its been a decent tune that is well produced and works well - even though its not my cup of tea personally. I appreciate that a lot of time and effort goes into tunes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that its good. Does that mean if someone spends a week writing a tune and someone else spends a day writing a tune, then the one that took a week will be better? It doesn't always work like that.

I think you misunderstood my comments - Jules played a couple of massive tunes that always get big responses on dancefloors, ie, VdM - Fly Away, Needs To Feel, etc. Despite being almost a year old, they still get a huge cheer on the dancefloor now - whereas tunes like Whistling Drive hardly get an eyebrow raised (even when they first came out).

To me, the best tunes are the ones that always get huge responses and will be remembered in a few years time - and some of the tunes that Jules played on that show weren't very big, and won't be remembered in a few years time.

Dude, I ain't sayen the longer u spend time on a track the better it should nescessarily be.....that wouldnt make any sense, theres no logic to that, lol. I'm sayen that 'Time & effort' in general goes into maken a good track & despite, if u like the tunes played or not, all opinions aside.....the reality is, the reactions & support that the majority of the tunes featured on the show including the ones picked from the 5 guest DJ callers (Arguebly the top trance DJ's around at the moment) speak for themselves & its anything but 'Average at most'. The reaction the tunes have had globally from DJ's, labels, clubs & festivals is solid proof that the majority of them featured have been very successfull throughout 2007 & I find it hard to believe someone like yourself still describing 'Half of those are average at most' despite this fact.

U say:

'As a reviewer for my website, I often have to see past my opinions. I've often rated a tune a 9 out of 10 because its been a decent tune that is well produced and works well - even though its not my cup of tea personally'

If this is the case mate & u do see past ur own opinion b'coz the tune isn't ur cup of tea from time to time why are u callen half they tunes 'average at most' then?? Their success in 2007 with respects to the majority of other tracks out at the time contradicts the fact that they are better than 'average', so if u do see past ur own opinion should u not then be lookin' at the bigger picture & be giving the tunes the benefit of the doubt. A 'Decent' tune that 'Works well' is one thats had plenty of support from the big DJ's & has been spun allover the world & has also done well in its release like the majority of tracks featured in the show.

I can acknowlege the fact that they were top tunes in 2007 even though I didn't find them appealing in comparison to what I'm into at the moment. Maybe some of the tracks featured in the show will get better reactions & make more of an impact rather than others if they were to get played in a few years along the line but that still doesnt make them 'average' tracks if u are to go by there allround success throughout the year with respects to the majority of other tunes that were out in 2007 regardless of what reactions they would get in a few years time.

Fair enough man, ur opinion is respected....maybe I did misunderstand ur comment but I take things at face value & it is what it is on what u said the first time round......so when ur sayen that 'Half of those are average at most' it's somethin I totally disagree with & it's also somethin' that a feel strongly enough about to let ye know & justify my reasons for disagreeing with ye on that note.

Edited by Nick Callaghan

I love end of year round up shows because they bring up this sort of debate! :) Everyone has their own favourite tracks from the past year so it's a lot of pressure on Jules to satisfy everyone.

Personally I think most of the track choices were good ones, especially Hemstock & Jennings, Joop and Tom Day - 'Whisper', some of my 3 favourite tracks of the year.

But that is not to say that the whole show completely represents everything that i've enjoyed hearing this year, but from Jules' perspective it's a solid round up.

And on the producing note, I am well aware of the pains it takes to get a track ready ;) Well, W-Unit - 'Til You Sign' didn't take too long, but 'The Ranch' took about a month from Noff first letting me listen to his ideas and then collabing on the finished product! Luckily it's been successful.

If this is the case mate & u do see past ur own opinion b'coz the tune isn't ur cup of tea from time to time why are u callen half they tunes 'average at most' then?? Their success in 2007 with respects to the majority of other tracks out at the time contradicts the fact that they are better than 'average', so if u do see past ur own opinion should u not then be lookin' at the bigger picture & be giving the tunes the benefit of the doubt. A 'Decent' tune that 'Works well' is one thats had plenty of support from the big DJ's & has been spun allover the world & has also done well in its release like the majority of tracks featured in the show.

I'm sorry mate, but i'm sticking with what I said originally. There are thousands of tunes released each year - some of them superb, some of them instant classics (such as 'Needs To Feel'), some which are average, and some which are poor.

There have been some superb tunes over the years, and some this year too - and I feel that some of those tunes that Jules played were average. I'm not saying they're bad, i'm not saying they don't deserve to be spun by the worlds best DJ's - what i'm saying is, when you look at those tunes individually, they don't stand out against some of the 'big' tunes - and when it comes to production, they're nothing we've not heard before.

For me, the 'best' tunes should be those that are instantly recognisable, have great crowd responses, tunes that still get a good reception in a few years time, or bring us a new sound/direction that we've not heard before. Some of those tunes that Jules played, I feel, don't fit under any of those categories - Whistling Drive and Frozen in particular - and judging by the replies in this thread, i'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

If you are comparing the tracks that were featured in the show in comparison to all the classics that have been made over the years then fair enough mate, I totally agree with you & share your opinion.

But I thought the show was about Jules's take on 'The Best of 2007' so that would be tracks that have been a success with respects to the majority of the rest of the tracks that have been out in 2007. A thought this topic was also based on the show with respects to this year alone & not all the years that have went by when it comes to dance music. If u ment 'Half of those are average at most' in comparison to all the top tracks that have been made over the years a wouldn't of disagreed with ur comment atall.

"Jules has supported far better tunes this year - half of those are average at the most."

U mention 'this year' so it's natural for me to think u are referring to 2007 alone & not all the years that have went by when it comes to dance music. If u were to have made it clear in what u ment the first time round a wouldn't of bothered ma arse dude.

Edited by Nick Callaghan

Not just over the years mate - but this year in general. There have been some superb tracks this year which really stand out - and a couple of tunes that Jules played are average in comparison. As I say, compared to other tunes out there this year, I feel that Frozen and Whistling Drive are average in comparison.

Dude, if u mean a 'few'....say a 'few'. U said 'half' the first time round.

As I stated before, like them or not, most of the tracks played are better than your 'average at most' track if they are to be compared to the majority of other tracks that have been out in 2007. The support 'n' success they have had in the past year shows this fact.

Dude, if u mean a 'few'....say a 'few'. U said 'half' the first time round.

As I stated before, like them or not, most of the tracks played are better than your 'average at most' track if they are to be compared to the majority of other tracks that have been out in 2007. The support 'n' success they have had in the past year shows this fact.

'half' was a figure of speech - I didn't realise that what we typed was scrutinised word for word on here, blimey.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We've both got our opinions, so lets leave it at that. I'm sticking by what I say because thats what I believe. My point was, Jules has supported far bigger tunes this year, and they've been overlooked by poorer tunes - for example, Filo & Peri - Anthem. Its a tune that people either love or hate - but its been supported by almost every a-lister, has been one of the most popular tunes at the festivals, and has broken a couple of sales records too - that to me makes it a bigger and better tune than the likes of Frozen and Whistling Drive, which, haven't been as successful.

Dude, half the tracks played is more in the region of 12 rather than a 'couple'...don't think thats scrutinising considering it's quite a significant margin. If u say 'Half' I'm gonna' naturally think u mean half the tunes played.

A don't nescessarily agree with the tracklisting either, I would have played some alternative tracks also. As I've already mentioned, all the tracks played are still better than 'average' if u are to compare their success to the Majority of other tracks that were out throughout 2007. I agree that the likes of 'Bulldozer', 'Platinum' & 'Anthem' wouldn't be in that majority due to their similar success in my opinion. However my point was; Like the tunes or not that were played, I think u were wrong to class them as 'average' due to their success & support in comparison to the majority....& my view was based on ur initial post.

Agree to disagree, f%$k it...lol. ;)

Edited by Nick Callaghan