Jules R1 22/12/07 Best Of 07 Special

JasonB

Sad to say but that tracklist is a showcase of the sorry state of Trance music of today :(

I think thats a bit strong mate. Trance has become a really strong genre again over the last couple of years - and the diversity within Trance is the best its ever been (all the sub-genres such as Tech-Trance, Electro-Trance, Hard Trance, etc).

Jules doesn't play the strongest of Trance tunes - he misses out on so many good tunes, artists (Jules has yet to support a Greg Downey production) and ignores some labels almost completely (such as Discover Records, which Jules fails to support time and time again).

Jules has, in my honest opinion, never been an out-and-out Trance DJ - so its unfair to compare his tracklistings to the state of Trance these days.

Armin proves that Trance is still a very strong genre.

Edited by Briggsy

I see what you are saying Sim, but i would lean more to what Briggsy has said but thats my opinion, everyone has their own opinion at the end of the day.

We all miss the good old days where so many brilliant Trance tracks would come out, especially out of Holland and Belgium, i remember a period where that many quality tracks were churned out in such a short space of time of each other it was unbelievable, especially that many to be so good. Fair enough you dont get the quantity of quality tracks time and time again that you did around the 99-03 period but there are still some great tracks that have surfaced in 07, and will in 08 no doubt.

Going back to what Briggsy said, i have to totally agree on Jules not supporting certain great tracks and Artists, notably releases on Discover. I cant believe he has chosen to ignore John O'callaghan's material in particular as well as some of Greg Downey's and Bryan Kearneys, its almost as if he doesn't get on with the Discover lot and has decided not to play any of their stuff no matter how good it is, but then again what do i know! :lol:

There was also a negative side to the late 90's in my opinion. Yes, the quality of tunes was superb - however, because all of the tunes were superb, we found most of the DJ's were all playing the same sets. It wasn't unusual to hear Ferry Corsten playing a set consisting of Out Of The Blue, Cafe Del Mar and Another Way, and then hearing Paul van Dyk come on afterwards, and then playing Out Of The Blue, Cafe Del Mar and Another Way.

The quality was there, but the differing sets wasn't. Now we've lost some of the quality, but at least, apart from the odd tune here and there, we're hearing DJ's playing differing sets.

Era's change - lets face it, we're talking almost ten years ago now. Its a long time to keep comparing music. Yes, there were many good points in the late 90's - but we've also got some good points now too. Trance, in its current form, has never been so diverse. I'd love to have the 1999 'big melodic riff' sound back - but if I had to choose between that and the current range of diversity, then I think i'd rather have the diversity. I love Tech-Trance, I love Electro-Trance, I love Hard-Trance - I never had those options back in 1999.

• 1 month later...