Jules R1 - 29/12/07 Back To '97 Special

JasonB

Energy 52 – Café Del Mar [Three’N One Mix] (Hooj Choons)
BT – Flaming June [bT & PVD Mix] (Perfecto)
Nalin & Kane – Beachball [Tall Paul 7" Remix] (FFRR)
BBE – Flash [uK Mix] (Positiva)
Disco Citizens – Footprint ['97 Revamp] (Xtravaganza)

4 Tracks Back2Back

Fatboy Slim – Give The Po' Man A Break (Skint)
Serious Danger – Deeper [7" Edit] (Fresh)
Three Drives – Greece 2000 [Miro Vocal Version] (Hooj Choons)
Lucid – I Can’t Help Myself [Judge Jules Vocal Edit] (FFRR)

Double 99 – RIP Groove [Radio Edit] (Satellite)
Brainbug – Nightmare [sinister Strings Mix] (Positiva)
Mansun – Wide Open Space [Perfecto Mix] (Parlophone)
Y-Traxx – Mystery Land (FFRR)
Age of Love – Age of Love [brainbug Remix] (React)

Chicane Guest Mix

BT – Firewater (Perfecto)
Chicane – Offshore '97 (Xtravaganza)
Lamb – Gorecki (Fontana)
O.R.N. – Snow [The Cold Crystal Mix] (Deconstruction)
Way Out West – The Gift [Club Mix] (Deconstruction)
BT – Remember (Perfecto)
Chicane – Bruised Water (Modena)

Chakra – Home (WEA International)
Da Hool – Meet Her At The Love Parade [Nalin & Kane Mix] (Manifesto)
187 Lockdown – Gunman (East-West)
Armand Van Helden- Funk Phenomenon (ZYX Music)
Daft Punk – Around The World (Virgin)

Compare tracklist updated by me while listening to the show on listen again to the BBC's!

BBE-Flash, this version sounded slightly different to what I know and would assume to be the original so I've guessed Jules played the UK Mix possibly? need confirmation on what version played ultimately.

Nick's mix is really quality some quality studio goins on goin on to create a masterpiece of Offshore'97 and Gorecki mashed with Firewater, great to hear Snow on the radio!!! tunage quality epic ouse,had never heard the original (if it was the original played) of Remember, wow amazing stuff!

Bruised water is natasha bedingfield over salt**ter (should artist be changed to natasha vs. or left as is?) which apparently might come out proper, which I'm not keen on that happening, Salt Water doesnt need natasha on it although it works ok I suppose.

Edited by JasonB

this show was excellent. I agree with Jason about the Saltwater thing though. It simply doesnt need a re-realease. It wont do as well as it did first time around so this is a pointless re-release.

Another thing i couldn't stop thinking about when listening to this show, was the fact that it does highlight just how bad creatively and musically todays dance scene is. This is my personal opinion however. Back then producers actually wrote tunes, these days it's more of a question of which tune shall we sample and make an "Electro house" sandwich out of - i.e generic electro house beats at the beginning and end, and insert classic tune in the breakdown.

Hearing Serious Danger's "Deeper" was great though, such an underrated tune, as was Offshore, RIP Groove, and 187 Lockdown "Gunman".

It was an excellent show peeps, and as i said earlier, it just shows that since CDJ's took hold of the scene, the grass roots of dance music has gone. Dance music and it's crossover tunes were built on white labels and obscure promo's sold in small record shops, which were used to build hype on a tune. Now vinyl is pretty much dead, there is none of this with MP3 as most people have access to the same tunes. Lets be brutally honest, if you heard a 2007 show in 10 years time, would you really get excited by it? I know i wouldn't at all. Sad to see a scene that i love and grew up on come to what it is today.

Oh i am extemely surprised he didnt play Ultra Nate "Free".

Another thing i couldn't stop thinking about when listening to this show, was the fact that it does highlight just how bad creatively and musically todays dance scene is.

I wouldn't say that the quality of production has changed these days - the quality is still there - but the creativity isn't there these days.

Tunes back then were well thought out and were works of art - and a lot of time and money was spent on getting them perfect.

These days, people produce tunes in half a day, send them out to every DJ in existance, and once they've had a bit of a-list support, they end up getting signed.

Back in the 90's, we had "career producers" - all they did was producing - people such as Lange, Ferry Corsten, Lost Witness, etc. They were paid well, and re-invested that money into future tunes. They had to produce well otherwise they'd be fired. Labels had a lot of running costs - vinyl pressing, distribution, sleeve artwork, etc - so they paid well for good results.

These days, everyone knocks out a tune in their bedrooms, passes it on to a few a-listers, it gets signed by a label, and they get a percentage of sales figures. Labels are happy to take risks with average tunes because they don't lose anything if they don't sell. They haven't had any upfront fee's and commitments.

Its a nightmare searching through MP3 stores these days - to get to one good tune, you have to listen to 5 crap tunes first. However, when you do find a good tune, the quality of production does match the 90's standards. Its just the quality of the actual tune that isn't as good. We'll never hear tunes like Happiness Happenning, I Can't Help Myself, and Meet Her At The Love Parade again :(

this show was excellent. [...] Back then producers actually wrote tunes, these days it's more of a question of which tune shall we sample and make an "Electro house" sandwich out of - i.e generic electro house beats at the beginning and end, and insert classic tune in the breakdown.

[...] Lets be brutally honest, if you heard a 2007 show in 10 years time, would you really get excited by it? I know i wouldn't at all. Sad to see a scene that i love and grew up on come to what it is today.

I have to say, I could not agree more with this.

I think as Briggsy said, the quality is still there but the creativity is lacking -- you don't get that "ping" of goosebumps all the way down your back as much these days, whereas, during this back-to-'97 show, I certainly did. -_- But that's possibly as much for personal reasons and the fact that my tastes that lean toward the melodic more than anything else, I think.

Some seriously interesting comments above ^ - I agree with a lot of what has been said...

Tim, I agree especially that not many a tune gives you that "ping", although some tunes come pretty close, you will never get what tunes back then did!

Come to think of it, and Moonman triggered this thought, but despite the success of the CDJ, I don't think this has had an affect on music, I think it's more with the Internet, the ease of getting some software to piece together a tune, and then it can easily be whipped onto a CD and supported from there onwards.

When vinyl was around, a tune had to a above and beyond the rest as it had to be pressed and that in itself cost money so labels needed a good return on investment when signing the tune in the first place.

The best era is no doubt '97-'03 and that probs because things come and go, things move on who knows where we will be heading. I think it's tough to say in 10 years time who will appreciate what we have now, because if we are saying as we go forward things are not getting like the old days, then maybe in 10 years we would still be grateful for what music is around now.

I think Jules is still doing a great job, and although I am not as dedicated a fan no more, I will always be respect the fact that he primarily got me into the trance scene; although I had a keen interest in the trance tunage scene, he definately got me into DJ'ing and introduced me to many of a great tune...

See im not too sure about everything said - I got into the dance scene around 99 - 2000 and will always look back with great memories about that period but is it just a case of "things were much better back in the day"? Id be interested to hear from someone who`s just getting into dance music now and see what that have to say about current big tunes because they have nothing to compare against, which is basically what we are doing. I for one have had some mental moments clubbing this year and in 2006 some that rival moments in 2000. I could place a years salary down and say in 10 years time the "dance generation" that are growing up with the music now will be saying the same thing about their current dance scene and comparing it to how great Electro was..... :blink: haha poor bastards!

Edited by Justin Haze

You're right - the way generations work means that by nature you will always have one group claiming the newbies don't realize how good the music was before them, but you could go backwards and backwards claiming the same thing...

Has anyone got this particular "back to 97" show recorded as mp3 that we can place on the Archives?

• 2 months later...

Two points to make. Firstly a tracklist correction. Track 06. is Fatboy Slim - Give The Po' Man A Break [skint]. I know jules says it's 'Everybody Loves a 303' but he's wrong. He even announced the name of that track incorrect, it's Everybody NEEDS a 303.

Come to think of it, and Moonman triggered this thought, but despite the success of the CDJ, I don't think this has had an affect on music, I think it's more with the Internet, the ease of getting some software to piece together a tune, and then it can easily be whipped onto a CD and supported from there onwards.

The internet has produced a fantastically disruptive force on music. Lets face it there was no technological barrier to the big DJing technology firms producing desktop CDJ quality units years before they were actually released. If Pioneer, Technics, Denon, etc. had put thier heads into gear they could have done it. The simple fact was there wasn't a market for it due to the levels of material being released on CD. The means of music distribution changed (from vinyl to digital formats) and this market requirement was opened up. Hence the sucess of the CDJ. The old top loading Pioneer CD unit which was around for ages still maintained consistent support in clubs right until the CDJ1000 got shipped.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...