2001-02-02 - Judge Jules, Live from the University of Durham, The Margot Fonteyn Ballroom

jaromani

2001-02-02 - Judge Jules, Live from the University of Durham, The Margot Fonteyn Ballroom

View File

01. Blaze feat. Palmer Brown - 'My Beat' (Jan Driver Vocal Mix) [Neo]

02. Eric Del Mar - 'Freeland' [Challenge]

03. Hi-Gate - 'Work It Out' [incentive]

04. The Science Of Rhythm - 'Work' [stop Start]

05. Ben Sims - 'Manipulated' (Adam Beyer Mix) [Primate]

06. Hi-Gate - 'You & Me' [incentive]

07. The Warp Brothers - 'We Will Survive' [NuLife]

08. Needle Damage - 'That Zipper Track 2001' (DJ Elite's That Fuct Needle Mix) [Moonshine]

09. Pepper Sweeney - 'H4U' [React]

10. Transgenic Tools Vol. 1 - 'Butterflies' (Chrysalis Cloning Mix) [Propane]

11. DJ Elite - 'That Camera' (DJ Elite's Fuct Camera Mix) [white label]

12. Hi-Gate - 'Martha Artha' [white label]

13. Groove Asylum - 'Don't 1' [Don't]

14. Vincent de Moor - 'Fly Away' (The Thrillseekers Remix) [VC]

15. Push - 'Strange World' (2000 Remake) [bonzai]

16. Mekka - 'Diamond Back' (Angeles Remix) [Perfecto]

17. Hi-Gate - 'Unknown' [white label]

18. Mario Piu pres. DJ Arabesque - 'The Vision' (Vision 1 Mix) [Nukleuz]

19. David Forbes - 'Questions Must Be Asked' (Kayestone Remix) [Eve/Serious]

20. Intimo - 'Retention' [XTC]

21. Mark 'Ruff' Ryder - 'Joy' (Electrique Boutique Remix) [Relentless]

22. Marc Et Claude - 'Lovin You' (Ratty Mix) [Positiva]

23. Ratty - 'Sunrise (Here I Am)' [Neo]

24. Barcode Brothers - 'Dooh Dooh' (Marc et Claude's Regards To Copenhagen Club Mix) [universal]

25. Jakatta - 'American Dream' (Lucid Remix) [Rulin]

Neuro said:
The best of the University sets.

Totally agree.  I have fond memories of listening to this live and repeatedly for many a week after on a now-very-worn-out tape :D

Just remembered that it also cost me an extra £50 or so, on a night out that was totally not planned, but there was no way of not going out after listening to it!

• 1 year later...
There's an amazing mood change at the 60 minute mark....

Yeah I noticed this too, sir... when Thrillseekers comes in it changes direction. Amazing atmosphere you can hear all the clapping too!

That Hi-Gate - Unknown track is really cool... very similar to Caned & Unable but I remember really liking it when I'd listen to this tape in my walkman on the school bus! Shame some of these tunes never made it to vinyl.

I eventually went to Durham Uni... Just a couple of years too late. The Margot Fonteyn Ballroom is a superb basement venue... I had an exam there when it was full of desks and all I could think about was the Friday nights they would have there... "Planet of Sound" was the club night - still going strong I believe... ah the memories... :)

yes indeed. I realise Jules and masterson must have had copies made as this was way pre-CD but you know what I mean... it never even saw limited promo release I wouldn't have thought. So it's possible by now some of the tunes dont survive at all.

I remember meeting Jules a couple of years back and getting him to sign some of his old vinyls including Floorgasm - Have a Nice Day... he was so surprised to see a copy as he claims he doesn't even have a copy himself now on vinyl, mp3 anything. I did rip it and send it to him actually but not sure he's played it since.

I suspect only Masteron might still have some of the original work but who knows

what I don't understand from a non-producer point of view, is why on earth Jules (and everyone else who is producing) isn't keeping at least one copy of every tune ever pressed on vinyl or acetate. I mean, it's their life's work!!

Jules claim aswell that he doesn't have the master copy of his Gladiator remix... He might just say that to easy the pressure from geeks like us begging him to release it on whitelabel or 320... hint hint! ;) So that's udnerstandable, but I bet that if he does in fact have it still, he plays it at private ibiza parties or something... for friends only :)

Anyway... I guess producers don't have enough space for storage...

Sacrilege I say.... I hate the way music in the digital era is so, I dunno, "disposable" :angry:

Anyway back to this set, really enjoyed it and is prob one of my most-played live sets...

Yeah its both sad and surprising that Jules claims not to have copies of his old tunes. I realise he has thousands of vinyls in storage somewhere (or at least was the case a few years ago) and that these were not organised according to his old diary entries. However you would think that there would be one shelf somewhere in his house with all his personal productions on. Certainly thats what I would have done.

If he had every single production he'd done on vinyl that still wouldn't take up tooo much space. I can understand all the thousands of other tunes he's been sent over the years taking up far too much space to keep now but his own work I am surprised he has presumably lost or whatever in with the rest.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

12. Hi-Gate - 'Martha Artha' [white label]

I am interested as to why this track is listed as "Hi-Gate - Martha Artha"?

Obviously, it's a Jules production, but I am certain he played this during a studio set and directly named it Martha - Arthur during the vocal link.

Are we just calling all unreleased Jules productions of this era "Hi-Gate"? If so, I do think this is the correct course of action given the quantity of material that was released on Closet without the Hi-Gate pseudonym. If there is direct evidence of this track being credited to Hi-Gate then I stand corrected. I will try and find a clip of the vocal link in question.

Also, do we have any evidence towards the spelling of 'Artha'? Following from the colloquialism, I think it should be 'Arthur' (Link).

• 4 weeks later...

I copied that directly from the BBC tracklisting which is the only record we have of it written down.. From memory it simply said: Unknown - 'Martha Artha', but after some digging we are almost certain this is a shelved Hi-Gate / VPL project.

Jules told me years ago that Paul Masterson would have the master copies of these shelved tracks (whether that's still the case now I'm not sure). I just wonder why it never made it on the Hi-Gate album.

• 2 weeks later...