1997-02-xx - Kiss 100FM - Judge Jules, with guest Allister Whitehead

FuzzY-LogiC

The JJ shows on Kiss were superb. When he moved over to R1 it definitely got watered down and as said, no DnB etc.

I remember his Friday night sets and he used to do a Saturday early evening set that was great. I recorded a lot of his sets back then but only have a few now - I'll see if I can dig them out.

Thing is, there were so many good sets you could easily use up 10x tapes a week and not have the chance to listen to them in time for the next weeks session lol

Funnily enough I was thinking back to a tune on this set which caused me to sign up on here that never got a release AFAIK:

19. Paul Uskin - 'Unknown' [white label]

I thought it was Paul Erskine 'Don't Stop' but as it never got release it's a shame as its a good vibe tune! JJ liked this sort of tuneage on his Kiss sets. Not heard this tune in over 10 years so nice to reminisce!

The JJ shows on Kiss were superb. When he moved over to R1 it definitely got watered down and as said, no DnB etc.

I remember his Friday night sets and he used to do a Saturday early evening set that was great. I recorded a lot of his sets back then but only have a few now - I'll see if I can dig them out.

Thing is, there were so many good sets you could easily use up 10x tapes a week and not have the chance to listen to them in time for the next weeks session lol

Funnily enough I was thinking back to a tune on this set which caused me to sign up on here that never got a release AFAIK:

I thought it was Paul Erskine 'Don't Stop' but as it never got release it's a shame as its a good vibe tune! JJ liked this sort of tuneage on his Kiss sets. Not heard this tune in over 10 years so nice to reminisce!

Hello JJ all the way,

U R right, Judge´s slots on KISS were phenomenal. Pity, there are a few of his KISS shows available throughout the internet. I recorded only bits and pieces that are here in the archive. Btw, if you can dig out some of his KISS shows and upload them it would be a treasure.

Paul Uskin (IDed as) Paul Erskine 'Don't Stop' - where did you find the info about it? Cannot find any relevant info about such a release.

Fanny Flow - 'Kiss Of Life' [stockholm Records]

I've listened to any versions there are samples or clips of on the net and it doesnt seem to be this track. in some places I've seen it listed as The Digital Blondes Mix, yet cannot find any trance of it anywhere. maybe Jules had the only copy of this version?

Fanny Flow - 'Kiss Of Life' [stockholm Records]

I've listened to any versions there are samples or clips of on the net and it doesnt seem to be this track. in some places I've seen it listed as The Digital Blondes Mix, yet cannot find any trance of it anywhere. maybe Jules had the only copy of this version?

Jason,

does the release you mentioned: Fanny Flow - 'Kiss Of Life' [stockholm Records] refer to the above KISS 100 FM show from 1997-02-xx? Kiss Of Life was released in 1995 regards to Discogs, and in the 1996 as a part of Manifesto Christmas Crackers in Digital Blondes remix.

Btw, has any got this Manifesto Christmas Crackers cassette tape? Great tracks there!I wish I could have a listen!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Manifesto-Christmas-Crackers/release/1072937

w

Yes, Same version played by jules on his mix on this release: https://www.discogs.com/Tong-Seaman-Jules-Carter-Essential-Mix-3/master/31722

Of course, I am blind. Sorry, Fanny Flow - 'Kiss Of Life' is track n. 18. before Paul Uskin / Paul Erskine 'Don't Stop (if it is the right track). Yet, however, I doubt this 1996/97 version of Kiss of Life is The Digital Blondes Mix, their synth sound is rather different from this remix. It could be that Jules had the only copy of this version, as you mentioned. :-) Any chance to get the inlay of Tong/Seaman/Jules/Carter ‎– Essential Mix 3 compilation, to obtain some more info about the tracks featured?

I doubt it is then either, I have no idea who did the version Jules played, add it to the list of eternal mysterys sadly.

True, true. Is there a kind of list of mystery tunes on JJA somewhere? I have not scanned / browsed the archive so deeply so far.

From my point of view, however, these rather obscure unidentified tunes are a kind of urban myths around all big DJs and, for us, the neverending hunt for the "Holy Grail" that keep us going.

Btw, track. n. 28 from KISS 100 FM show above is:

The State of Bengal - 'Flight IC 408' [One Little Indian/Mango/Omni Records]

A beautiful d´n´b lick with Indian flavour!

https://www.discogs.com/State-Of-Bengal-Elephant-Ride/master/88387

https://www.discogs.com/State-Of-Bengal-Future-Soundz-Of-India-Flight-IC-408-Shang-High/release/2683998

• 3 weeks later...

We went to see Bukem@ Logical Progression in September 97 when it moved to the Turnmills, after having had some great times when it was @ Ministry in 95-96. It said "very special guest DJ" on the flyer, so we assumed it would be Fabio or Alex Reece or Adam F. It was Jules! He mixed a set of Jazzy, atmospheric, and often darkside Drum n Bass. He played all the tunes that were used at the end of his 97 Emix. He would often put a D&B track or two in his shows then, as well. in a later interview, he said he loved Drum N Bass, but refrained from playing it out as he didn't want to confuse or lose his crowd? Shame, he was just as good in that genre.

I doubt it is then either, I have no idea who did the version Jules played, add it to the list of eternal mysterys sadly.

I used to have this on vinyl in 96. It said it was Antiloops sorted mix, but when I hear the tune on compilations its a different version. So either the vinyl is a misprinted label or the version they use on these comps is wrong ... erm!?

Hello JJ all the way,

U R right, Judge´s slots on KISS were phenomenal. Pity, there are a few of his KISS shows available throughout the internet. I recorded only bits and pieces that are here in the archive. Btw, if you can dig out some of his KISS shows and upload them it would be a treasure.

Paul Uskin (IDed as) Paul Erskine 'Don't Stop' - where did you find the info about it? Cannot find any relevant info about such a release.

I had many JJ Kiss shows taped from 88 -97. Fridays 7 -10 Sats 4 -7. The Classic house mastermix was a good slot, as well as mastermixes featuring all those acetates and white labels ... all good thrown out in a huge box FULL of other DJ tapes from the 90s ... still bite my fist today when I think about it. I specifically taped to keep as documents for a place this this lol ... he basically Tonged out after joining R1. 98 -99 had some good tunes, but moved across to other things after getting bored with Trance in 2000. I loved the 95 -late 97 period, as the club nights n London were many and varied. Jules then played all over the shop as circuit DJ. After R1 he stopped doing a lot good club nights as they simply couldn't afford him anymore ... I preferred the mix of pumping house, prog and the upcoming Trance sound as it was then, with tunes like Moonman's "don't be afraid" and many of the tunes off the Introspective of House comps, the best representation of what the sound was the, as well as the JDJ mixes.

Hello JJ all the way,

I had many JJ Kiss shows taped from 88 -97. Fridays 7 -10 Sats 4 -7. The Classic house mastermix was a good slot, as well as mastermixes featuring all those acetates and white labels ... all good thrown out in a huge box FULL of other DJ tapes from the 90s ... still bite my fist today when I think about it. I specifically taped to keep as documents for a place this this lol ... he basically Tonged out after joining R1. 98 -99 had some good tunes, but moved across to other things after getting bored with Trance in 2000. I loved the 95 -late 97 period, as the club nights n London were many and varied. Jules then played all over the shop as circuit DJ. After R1 he stopped doing a lot good club nights as they simply couldn't afford him anymore ... I preferred the mix of pumping house, prog and the upcoming Trance sound as it was then, with tunes like Moonman's "don't be afraid" and many of the tunes off the Introspective of House comps, the best representation of what the sound was the, as well as the JDJ mixes.

Sorry to hear that - a sad story indeed! It would be a full treasury of cream if the tapes had not been lost! Btw, there was a d´n´b hype back around 1995-97. I agree that JJ would prefer d´n´b for some time and smuggled some tunes into his shows, gigs and compilations. I was in London from Autumn 97 to Spring 98 and there were many superb places to go - Camdan Palace, Cross and many others with Ministry on the top! Radio 1 landing catapulted Jules into elevator where the sky was a limit. It was not a nation DJ anymore, he became a global star since BBC was already broadcasting via ASTRA satellite and, if I am not mistaken, in five years´ time they launched net digital broadcast.

Hello JJ all the way,

Sorry to hear that - a sad story indeed! It would be a full treasury of cream if the tapes had not been lost! Btw, there was a d´n´b hype back around 1995-97. I agree that JJ would prefer d´n´b for some time and smuggled some tunes into his shows, gigs and compilations. I was in London from Autumn 97 to Spring 98 and there were many superb places to go - Camdan Palace, Cross and many others with Ministry on the top! Radio 1 landing catapulted Jules into elevator where the sky was a limit. It was not a nation DJ anymore, he became a global star since BBC was already broadcasting via ASTRA satellite and, if I am not mistaken, in five years´ time they launched net digital broadcast.

Camden Palace was one the best venues of that era. I'd been going there to Jungle - Hardcore Rave since 93, and then to House events like Peach and Clockwork Orange - Divine, etc. The Cross, Bagleys, SW1 club, Leisure Lounge, all great venues ... but the main room @ Ministry (The Box) is still the best rig I ever witnessed. MOS was owned by Millionaires, so as shit as their compilations were, and the cheese they promoted, the place was great on the right night with your favorite DJs. I went every other week for 7 years in a row. Jules did go global with R1. He had already been a well known player since 87 when Kiss was a pirate. He was a lot more funky then, and was actually a prodigy of Norman Jay, who had the big show on Kiss in 85 -91, and had been running Good Times @ Notting Hill Carnival since the early 80s. He and Jules put on Warehouse Raves, Norman with GT, and Jules had his Family Function org. Music was a lot slower then,and more in with things like Soul II Soul, Balearica, Acid Jazz, etc. Jules was made for R1 in a way, but I'm glad I had been seeing him those years beforehand. Kiss FM created a HUGE buzz in london when they went Legal in late 91, and everybody used to play Kiss all the time, as well as the Underground pirate stations, so you knew where to go clubbing.

• 5 years later...