What Really Grinds Your Gears?

Aza

Have been thinking of posting something like for a while now as I tend think deeper when in 'normality' if you get me...

i.e. more observant of how others behave different in groups etc, the way of everday people, people's mannerisms (I MEAN, YOU KNOW, OBVIOUSLY) etc etc...

In my random state the other day started to watch a Family Guy and Peter did this bit on 'What Really Grinds my Gears'...

I did have a few lined up for this but seemed to have forgot 'em...

Anyway, here goes some I have recently thought of :)

1. People holding doors open for some walking down the corridor when they are about half a mile away (slight exaggeration, but you know ;))

2. People on escalotors in the underground of London sprinting up and down em (on the massive ones)

3. Knobhead's flashing you to move over when they want to overtake you only to pull back in front of you when they have and you end up taking back over them! On the note of cars, people who bomb down the road only to have to stop at the red light; I end up right behind em coasting having used nowhere near as much petrol.

4. Múller yogurts! What's the point in them? Why don't they just sell em already mixed?

What grings your gears? ;)

Edited by Aza

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Tim Westwood

2. People that sit in the inside lane of the motorway

3. Paul Oakenfold

4. People that don't indicate when driving - it doesn't take any effort to knock the indicator lever down or up.

5. Tim Westwood

6. BWM drivers, Taxi drivers, white van drivers, and anyone else that thinks they're exempt from the rules of the road.

7. Paul Oakenfold

8. Clubs that book DJ's that don't compliment the rest of the night. Why???

9. Tim Westwood

10. Crap celebrities such as Jade Goody, Russell Brand, Dermot O'Dreary, Lisa Tarbuck, Les Dennis and Paris Hilton.

11. Paul Oakenfold

12. Victoria Beckham

13. Tim Westwood

14. People that associate DJ Sammy as being Trance

15. Paul Oakenfold

16. Victoria Beckham

17. Tim Westwood

18. Clubs that still insist on putting Marco V and Mauro Picotto on Trance line-ups. Its not big, and its not clever.

19. People that insist on dancing on your toes or barging you all night in clubs so that they can get closer to the DJ. The sound isn't any louder there mate!

20. Sweaty lads in clubs that insist on taking their tops off and swinging their top around their heads. We don't want your sweat spraying into our drinks thanks!

21. Jimmy Carr - not in the slightest bit funny! Go away!

22. Golf! What a pointless sport - Lets all whack a ball 300 yards just to fetch it again.

23. Big fat sweaty girls in clubs that wear tight tops and mini skirts.

24. West Bromwich Albion

25. Victoria Beckham, Tim Westwood, Paul Oakenfold and Jimmy Carr.

Middle lane of the motorway hoggers......

Slow walking people in my way......

Customer service call lines......

Clubbers requesting crap tunes "Got any garage mate"

Alan Carr`s voice.....

Apprentices.... Teenagers..... Hoodies...... (my apprentice is all 3)

My girlie chatting in my ear when i trying to concerntrate, type replies or emails, listening to music, watching TV....

And most of all being broke in January when all the sales are on... :lol: :lol:

1) The office idiots. Mine has dozens of them and they wind me right up. Get so hung up in all the corporate bullsh*t and suck up to all the bosses. The TV character best representing this is colin off the Fast Show.

_39073630_hunt_bbc203.jpg

2) Impatient drivers that risk their lives to get somewhere 5 minutes earlier. Natural selection will sort them out.

3) Chris Moyles.

4) 40+ women in clubs wearing clothes you wouldn't let your daughter out of the house in. Do these ladies not have husbands? One grabbed me in Gods and started groping my chest muscles. Eurgh. Get off.

5) Sweaty blokes in my office. During the winter it's unbearable as the windows and doors are closed so it traps that awful smell in.

6) Fluffy apples. Gotta be sharp and crisp for me please.

Love the episode that this thread has taken inspiration from & actually watched it the other day aswell.

Here goes...

* West Bromwich Albion - everyone connected with the club, it's ground, town, fans, mascots, players, stewards, the lot, all w*nkers

* Birmingham City - delusions of grandeur, no you don't deserve your premier league place & no you're not a big club. Where's the trophies to back all of this up?

* Uber-cool know it alls - the sort of people that try & dictate taste & hold the pretense that they discovered everything first. Usually they read the NME & now that Nu-Rave is out of fashion they despise it & seek to look like the guy out of The Kooks

* Posers - people that seem to believe they are better than everyone else & go to great lengths to show it. Generally very self centred

* My old English lecturer - she was french & mocked my accent when speaking English, then preceeded to give everyone the biggest laugh of uni by mispelling 'quiet' by typing out 'qyeit' & not conceeding her mistake

Many others, these will suffice for now

Having to spend 7.5 hours per working day with people that I have nothing in common with.

Scotrail.

People blocking me on the escalator when I'm late for my train (sorry, Aza :P )

January - the weather, cash shortage, such a long time to the summer.

Tradesmen that never return calls.

Foreign call centres - I can cope with UK-based ones.

Not being able to find the bracket that holds my dartboard up.

Moaners. (Slightly ironic, but I was provoked ;) )

I forgot my old chestnut, Royal Mail - no Sunday collections anymore, one daily delivery that is after I leave for work and packages that are lost/stolen.

And while I'm at it - the Post Office. I still can't believe how many branches they're closing including a huge City centre one, 2 minutes walk from my work.

Edited by bigsteve

One thing that really pisses me off - no justics for people that are cruel to animals.

There was a court case recently where some lads dropped a cat from the 14th floor of a block of flats and video'd it with a mobile phone to boast to their mates. Their punishment? An injunction which prevents them from keeping animals for three years. Big deal - its clear that they don't love animals anyway so why would they keep one?

Anyone that is is cruel to animals deserves the same punishment. If a person kills a human, its murder and they get locked up. If someone kills an animal, they get a fine and a ban from keeping animals. I'd lock them up for murder to. An animal has as much right to be on this planet as a human.

If I saw someone being cruel to an animal, i'd knock them out - regardless of whether i'm done for it or not.

If I were a judge, and someone had bene put in front of me for dropping a cat from the 14th floor of a block of flats, then i'd take them up there and drop them off too - then I too can laugh at them as they drop to their death. They obviously think its funny, so lets see how they like it....

Thats what annoys me about drivers like that (sorry Moonman thats not a personal stab at you). They think that driving at 150mph along the motorway, driving right up your ass and also constant changing lanes into stupidly small gaps without indicating is good driving. It's such an ignorant view. Good driving is driving at sensible speeds (ok maybe a tad over the limit) and abiding by the road rules. People think that this means your a granny driver. Thats absolute rubbish. I value my life and need my driving licence for my job so don't drive like an arsehole.

Rant over. ;)

I agree with about 99.9% of the things mentioned on this thread, especially all the stuff about awful drivers.

It's not always the speed merchants who annoy me though. On the other end of the scale, it's annoying when you are driving on a 2 lane, max speed limit road & I always seem to get caught behind some slowpoke/tractor/lorry, etc!

Don't get me wrong, I like to think I'm a careful driver who sticks to the limits & so on, but for example, when the max speed limit's 60 mph & the car in front's doin 30 mph, it does cheese me off a little. Especially when the opposite lane's too busy to overtake! <_<

Edited by DJ MikeW

Oh yeah totally. To drive under the speed limit is also dangerous. A bloke I work with refuses to drive faster than 50 because that's the most efficient speed for fuel consumption. He was driving up the M1 at 50 in the inside lane when it was really busy and loads of lorries were having to overtake him. That's causing a serious hazard on a busy road.

I always thought lorries & other big vehicles over a certain weight weren't allowed in the overtaking lanes?

Mind you, I see them do it all the time so I guess I'll have to read over my Highway Code! :P

I definately reckon slow drivers are just as much of a hazard as ones who speed.

I always thought lorries & other big vehicles over a certain weight weren't allowed in the overtaking lanes?

Lorries, Buses, etc are allowed in the first two lanes only ;)

To be honest, I don't think speeding is the worst hazard on the road. I don't see anything wrong with doing 40 in a 30, or 50m in a 40 AS LONG as you're paying attention and using a bit of common sense. Doing 80mph on the motorway at 2am in the morning when there is nothing around is often safer than doing a LEGAL 60mph on a busy motorway in rush hour - but the law fails to take this into consideration.

The most hazardous drivers are those that constantly weave lanes without indicating, those that tailgate, those that use mobiles whilst driving, Granny Smith that insists on using the motorway, but wants to 'take her time' at 50mph - causing a hazard to everyone behind her that isn't expecting her to drive so slow, etc - yet Mr Plod insists on picking on the 'dangerous' speeders.

Also, the mbile phone law has made things worse in my opinion. I'm amazed at the amount of people that just stop on corners, slip roads, opposite parked cars on an angle so nobody can get through, etc just so they can answer the phone. They're too busy focusing on answering their phone to realise that they've stopped in a way that is obstructing and/or dangerous to other drivers. This, in my opinion, is as dangerous as people that use their phones when driving.

The law should be changed so that people can't use a phone AT ALL, whether they're stopped on a road, or driving on the road, unless they're hands free. They're a menace to other drivers.

It takes a lot to irritate me so much as to provoke a reaction, but I'd add the following:

1. People who stand on the left of escalators on the Tube (sorry Aza!).

2. People who stand idly on the moving walkways in long airport corridors - the walkways are slower than walking normally on the carpet so you're meant to continue walking, not stand and chat and block the way for others who have a heavy bag or are in a rush for a connecting flight.

3. Women at the cashier who, when they have finished paying for something and receive their change, stay rooted to the spot and start trying to find their purse which is buried somewhere deep in their handbag, then filing the receipt which they will never use again, all whilst keeping everybody the the queue behind them waiting. If you're a guy, you simply take the coins and receipt in your hand and walk off as you place the whole lot in your pocket, simple.

4. Mothers who let their children run wild and scream, much to the annoyance of everybody else, whether it be in restaurant, beach, or aeroplane.

5. Portuguese and Spanish drivers who think it's ok to overtake you on a blind summit and a bend. In the fog.

6. Girlfriends who expect you to "clock in" every night and ring them.

7. People who dismiss Gin & Tonic as an inferior drink. They just haven't had a proper one.

8. Pubs who ask if you want "ice and lemon?" everytime in your drink... of course I bloody do, that should be a basic necessity and if I didn't want it, I'd tell you.

9. Two-minute radio edits of any electronic music.

10. 128k bitrate mp3s. It doesn't take much to have originally left it at CD-quality 320k now, does it?

11. People who are asked to roll the 'dice' in board games when there's just the one 'die'.

12. People who use a comma to join 2 separate sentences together, I don't think it's right. (<-- see! Why not use a full stop, semi-colon, or dash?)

13. People who mistype my surname with just one 'L'

14. People who don't use hyphens in words that are clearly hyphenated; for example, "we're having a get-together" is correct!

15. Girls who wear bracelets in their ears. Or at least they're big enough to be bracelets.

16. People who carry knives.

7. People who dismiss Gin & Tonic as an inferior drink. They just haven't had a proper one.

11. People who are asked to roll the 'dice' in board games when there's just the one 'die'.

12. People who use a comma to join 2 separate sentences together, I don't think it's right. (<-- see! Why not use a full stop, semi-colon, or dash?)

13. People who mistype my surname with just one 'L'

14. People who don't use hyphens in words that are clearly hyphenated; for example, "we're having a get-together" is correct!

Not petty or anything are you Tim? ;):lol:

On the subject of two minute radio edits did anyone listen to Edith Bowman today? I can't stand her anyway but she played a two minute radio edit of the Tiesto remix of Adagio for Strings. Sounded like sh*t. What made it even more annoying is that after the track finished she went "Oh that made me just want to go and rave"???? Yeah cheers Edith <_< .

3. Women at the cashier who, when they have finished paying for something and receive their change, stay rooted to the spot and start trying to find their purse which is buried somewhere deep in their handbag, then filing the receipt which they will never use again, all whilst keeping everybody the the queue behind them waiting. If you're a guy, you simply take the coins and receipt in your hand and walk off as you place the whole lot in your pocket, simple.

4. Mothers who let their children run wild and scream, much to the annoyance of everybody else, whether it be in restaurant, beach, or aeroplane.

both of these severely get my goat. point 3 more than 4 though. It just plain vexes me.