Newcastle United

Uberduck

This is headline stuff everyday so I think a purpose built post is required.

What's the deal with Newcastle fans? Are they quite possibly the thickest bunch of people that roam the earth or what? Firstly they drive their owner (who is thick enough to sit in the stands listening to them) to get rid of Allardyce, who could have done good things at the club had he been given the 3-5 years he claimed was needed to turn the club around. Once they have driven big Sam out they all then choose Alan Shearer as their No.1 choice replacement. Why on earth do they think that Shearer can do great things at the club? He has NO managerial experience except the understudy role he filled when Roeder started. Ok he has his coaching badges but has no experience. I'm a bit dissapointed in Alan for not having come out and said he didn't want the job when big Sam was getting slated every game. He's admitted now that he doesn't want it but Sam has long gone.

I saw an interview with a group of them today on Sky Sports News where they were all asked wo they wanted as their manager. Shearer, Pearce, Keegan, Jol and Mourinho were their suggestions. Jol and Mourinho would be good appointments as they'd play the atacking football that the fans crave but I cannot see Mourinho taking the job as he's fit for the very top jobs and I honestly dont think Jol could turn it arund in the very short period of time he'd get.

The problem with Newcastle is that they think they're still a massive club but haven't won the trophies to justify this so the only thing that is supposedly making them a 'massive' club is the size of the stadiumn (which is the 3rd biggest behind Man U and Arsenal if I'm right in thinking) and the number of fans that turn out each week. They have a team with a few good players but mostly sh*t ones and cant keep a manager for more than a year.

Each game including todays at Old Trafford all the fans keep chanting is Shearer's name. It has been said many times recently but I'll say it again...

I wish somebody would appoint Alan so he can fail and then they'll shut up and find a proper manager. Ok he'd get longer than others because of his hero status but I cant see him doing anything different to recent managers. If Fergie left Man U you wouldn't hear the Stretford End chanting Cantona's name would you?

They need a massive bucket of cold water chucking over St James' park to wake these numpties up :angry: .

Newcastle fans do make me laugh with their boasts about being a 'massive' club & having the best fans in the world. They deserted the team before Keegan took over & when they were in lower leagues & they haven't won a domestic tropy for nearly 50 years.

They expect success that is far out of their reach too. Bobby Robson is a legend & worked wonders there taking them to 3rd & 4th placed finishes but still got sacked! What did they expect? Nowadays it's gona take mega-money or one of the big four having an awful season to get near the Champions League, Newcastle should have realised they had one of the best English managers working & stuck with him, instead of the stupid knee-jerk reaction they got

In my opinion Newcastle really do have big potential, but will never achieve anything by sacking Managers so soon. If Redknapp had taken the job on it would have taken him at least a year to clear the decks of all the crap players etc and start fresh, let alone start producing high positions. Newcastle's biggest problem has always been their defending, look at some of the crap they have had in defence! Boumsong, Bramble to name a few....

Even if Newcastle were winning most weeks by edging 1-0 wins out and were challenging, the fans would be moaning that its not attractive enough football for them.

Unfortunatley as much as i would like to see them challenging, i think they will always be a mid-table/pushing for Europe type team because of the Fans demand for attractive Football.

Edited by Ducky

I think one of the best descriptions about Newcastle is that they wanted success yesterday. Keegan was close to winning a title in the 95-96 season when he came out with the famous quote But I'll tell ya - you can tell him now, he'll be watching it - we're still fighting for this title, and he's got to go to Middlesbrough and get something, and... and I'll tell you honestly, I will love it if we beat them - LOVE IT!. before they came to Old Trafford and lost. They threw away a 12 point lead that season. It was daft that Keegan left before the 96-97 season after getting so close the previous one.

After watching MOTD tonight I have to admit that we looked good but they were just appalling. Steven Taylor was a one man defence for them and that clearance from Given (a usually solid keeper) was total schoolboy error stuff. They wont get relegated (although they deserve to) so Big Sam could have had the January window and next summer to clear out. The Newcastle fans weren't happy about his style of long ball play that he became synonymous with at Bolton. They dont have the type of players at the moment to play anything other though. Duff was a good signing as he's a good wide player with ability to run at people but he's been injured for the most part. Owen is plagued by injury and Martins/Viduka are crying up front as they just aren't getting the supply they crave. The Stoke fixture was an excellent example of this as Viduka was never in the game. Hope Stoke win the second leg as they deserve to.

Edited by Uberduck

The problem with teams like Newcastle is that as soon as they get a new manager, they want instant success & it doesn't work that way. (Ok it worked for Chelsea in Mourinho's first season but I guess it helps when a club gets taken over by a billionnaire & has the money to buy some of the world's best players) ;)

It took Fergie 3-4 years before he won his first trophy with Man Utd, now look how successful he is.

It seems now that managers don't get a fair shot these days because as soon as their club has a bad run of results, they get fired.

However the players don't get punished for under-performing. Win lose or draw, they still go home with their thousands every week while the poor manager is the one who the fans & media berate.

PS Being a Man Utd fan I can't post on this thread without mentioning 6-0!!! Sorry! :lol:

On the subject of Ronaldo, anyone remember this from fantasy football? :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QRkC0R8p0II

Thats funny as. The one with the twister game is top drawer too.

Personally I think our supprise player of the season so far is Anderson. He had been compared to Ronaldinho before we bought him, which is a massive claim. Fergie stated that Nani and Anderson were to be bit-part players who would be slowly integrated into the team. With the injury to Scholes we are lacking an attacking central midfielder as Hargreaves and Carrick are more creative/defensive players. Anderson in the Villa game looked quality. For someone that doesn't look slim and athletic he sure has pace. Given a bit of coaching under Fergie I'm sure this lad will evolve into one of the worlds best as he possesses all the required attributes. If he gets an eye for goal I think he'll definitely be a long term replacement for Scholes and thats saying a lot.

Nani has made the same sort of start to his United career as Ronny did in that he looks like he has bags of skill but he tends to have a poor final product and often just has wild attempts on goal. Another one for the future.

Edited by Uberduck

• 5 weeks later...
i cant imagine wy newcastle is so bad with martins , owen , duff, smith, emre

at least in play station i made them win arsenal or manchester :winkthumbsup:

Newcastle are bad for one reason - their fans are disillusioned and think that they're a big club, when they aren't. Since Keegan left first time round, all of their fans expect the same again and think they're under-achieving if they don't. The reality is, Keegan over-achieved first time around - and now the fans expect it all the time.

I don't think that Keegan made the right decision in going back. He left a hero first time round, but second time around, the fans will expect the same again - and if they finish third or lower, he'll be a flop. Thats what the geordies are like.

Big cities with big fan bases don't make big clubs. Winning trophies makes a club big. Newcastle have won bugger all - so they're no bigger than the likes of Everton, Bolton and Man City. The difference is, the fans at Everton, Bolton and Man City don't expect to win things every year and call for the managers head every five minutes.

As i've said before - Newcastle fans are the Coventry City fans of the Premiership. A Thick bunch that expect miracles, and at the first sign of trouble, call for the manager to be sacked.