Pick one tune only.......

Judge Mental

.....That basically sums up why you ever liked Jules?

Mine has to be Ratty - Sunrise (Instrumental mix)

It just without doubt, has the sorta energy involved that Jules is best at, its almost filthy when it kicks in, and every time I hear it it reminds me why I like dance music in the first place. Cant believe its made by Scooter though LOL.

And yours? :unsure:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ lol

Ratty - Sunrise is an INCREDIBLE tune, love the vocal though......but yeah the Instrumental rocks my boxers too.

I think one song that sums up why I ever liked Jules is Burgy - Lochfrass

I just loved the balls Jules had at dropping random german banging corkers now and again - those were the days!!!!! :D

Edited by Simcut

Cant believe its made by Scooter though LOL.

I was shocked when I first found this out. A mate told me Scooter had made it & I thought "can't be, it's too good!"

I'd have to say ROOS - Instant Moments around 1998.

It was one of the first tunes I ever heard on Jules' R1 show & it's a nice flowing, driving track :)

Nigel Gee - Hootin' Harry

This is one tune that Jules caned a lot just as I was getting into him, and its probably the one tune that summed Jules's style up perfectly. Fast, bouncy with a tough bassline that didn't fit into the techno category, but wasn't Trance either.

I remember Jules having a unique style back then which no other DJ had. Most DJ's were playing either Trance, House or Techno - with very little crossing over, whereas Jules just had a specific sound - energetic, hard, fast and bouncy - whether it be House, Trance or Techno - but he had a way of comibining them all so that the set flowed perfectly. No other DJ did that - and even now, nobody plays like Jules did back then. Whenever you saw Jules, you just knew you were gonna get a full-on energetic set and not be disappointed. If the DJ Mag poll was as big then as it is now, he would have been world number 1 in either 1999 or 2000.

Those were the days :(

Edited by Briggsy

i was going to say Lovechild - Liberta (moonman club mix) BUT i'll go with Aptness - The Answer (especially in it's vs. Coco bootleg form)

it's that perfect blend where house meets trance. It's funky, banging and very melodic. It could just be my situation at the time, i.e just started college, just passed my driving test, discovered Gatecrasher, got into Djing, made new friends. But i doubt it. Nearly 10 years on, these tunes both still stop me in my tracks. It was a wonderful point in my life and all about discovery that year.

Both these 2 tunes really do take me back to those wonderful heady days which, I'm sad to say, will never happen again. That era was a truly a magical era.

Edited by Moonman

Modern classic for me - My all time fav - Reflekt - Need To Feel Loved B) Same thing as moonman think this has stuck with me because i was having such a great time during the summer it started to get played and it seemed to be playing in the background during some awesome moments. Shame everything else they`ve brought out is no where near as good.

Check out the vid..... aaaaah the memories........

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...VideoID=2228461

Yves Deruyter - Back to Earth (Rave Rmx)

This was on my top rated Jules show at Bubblelove. I have this on tape and used to listen to it al the time. The track is hard as nails with a really strange breakdown but it's all about when it kicks back in again. Bup.....bup...bup...bup...bup :lol:

Oh, my second choice (if I'm allowed one :unsure: ) would be Tiesto - Urban Train (Cosmic Gate Rmx). Jules played this at a Gods NEC event after the Svenson & Gielen remix of Don Diablo - Acceleration. It's such a big room track and in a huge arena like that it totally rocked the place. Proper stomping track.

Have to agree with Quadrant, Energy 52 'Cafe Del Mar' was the track that got me into trance music full stop. Hearing it on an advert for some MOS compilation encouraged me to check out the scene in the first place & subsequently I came across Jules' old friday night shows

was one of those tunes that only Jules seemed to play

The entire point of this thread mate ;)

Think we're all in agreement here, stuff Jules played over 7 years ago wins, and it all has that certain je ne sais quoi, that was kinda, heads down and get on with it, rather than big trancey numbers? Hints of techno, funk, house, finished of with that trancey stuff? Every song so far kinda fits the bill :)

I also loved all the weird obscure tracks he used to play up until about 2000 - they could Unknown white label thingys from Germany or might be heavily Arab-influenced - completely bizarre tracks I'd never have found otherwise to colour my mixes at home :)

Slightly more recent than some, but still a good 6 years old, when I think of Jules the tune that comes into my head first is always -

Dark Monks - Insane (Steve Murano Remix)

For me this just sums up Jules' style.

Think your spot on there mate. I don't really associate him with the 'proper' trancy tracks but the hard zany ones instead. You'll always hear him admit that the trancier stuff isn't his preferred style but instead the harder end of the genre. There are so many of these whacky tracks that you wouldn't hear most trance DJ's play but Jules has always stuck his neck out and supported them.

I think these sort of tracks fit his awful style of dancing behind the decks :lol: . You don't associate Jules with his hands in the air like PVD or Armin would. He seems to bob and bop and do loads of this daft stuff:

IMG_2432%20(Large).JPG

Makes me laugh. :lol:

What's Jules got in his mouth- looks like he's chewing a toffee.

It's really difficult to pick just one tune as there are so many good tunes l associate with Jules

"Caned and Unable" is a tune that l never get tired of listening to as it has a great beat and never sounds dated.

I agree that Jules plays alot of stuff that no other DJ's play, that is one of the reasons l always listen to his show as l do like variety as l don't like listening to just one genre of music all the time.

Brainbug Nightmare, Cafe Del Mar, Orange Theme Airwave, are all remarkable tunes, also Damager 02 and more besides.

I also loved all the weird obscure tracks he used to play up until about 2000 - they could Unknown white label thingys from Germany or might be heavily Arab-influenced - completely bizarre tracks I'd never have found otherwise to colour my mixes at home :)

One tune that springs to mind which I loved, and Jules heavily supported, was Reysen Khan - Shi Du Khan.

Awesome tune! A nice bouncy, funly Trancer which I don't remember any other DJ playing.

This is such a hard question i have loads of tunes in my head, especially from the Nukleuz green label, when back in its day every single release was a corker. So i would probably say Megamind - Taub because only Jules would play that type of track!

Briggsy, do you mean the Ariel mix of Hootin Harry from 2000? I remember that, top tune!

And Shi Du Khan too, he played loads of mixes of that.

If you think about it really he'd had an impossible job for 10 years trying to please everyone, and really you have to admit that at some point over those 10 years he has given pleasure to every single person in some way, whether it was the bizarre stuff, the electro, the Henrik B techno stuff, the harder banging stuff, the softer Gatecrasher Trance sound, drum n bass, and all that lovely Funky filtered House. My pigeonholing is dreadful but you get my point.

My pigeonholing is dreadful but you get my point.

I'd say it was spot on - you've just described every style Jules has covered perfectly!

Briggsy, do you mean the Ariel mix of Hootin Harry from 2000? I remember that, top tune!

I think Jules played both mixes to be honest. I preferred the original though :D

especially from the Nukleuz green label, when back in its day every single release was a corker

Agreed! I remember Jules saying on-air back around 2000 time that it was his favourite label, and every tune was good. Mario Piu - The Vision, Mario Piu - Library, CRW - I Feel Love (The mega-rare Pete Pritchard mix) - plus all the BXR type stuff that they fed through.

Cracking label!

I'd say it was spot on - you've just described every style Jules has covered perfectly!

I think Jules played both mixes to be honest. I preferred the original though :D

Agreed! I remember Jules saying on-air back around 2000 time that it was his favourite label, and every tune was good. Mario Piu - The Vision, Mario Piu - Library, CRW - I Feel Love (The mega-rare Pete Pritchard mix) - plus all the BXR type stuff that they fed through.

Cracking label!

Aye, but to be fair Mario Piu - Library was (not allowed to swear) ****** ********** ************ but maybe thats just my opinion, and I liked stuff he played in general back then. The Ice Factory in Perth that was on Radio 1 stands out, was his 1st tune. the rest of it was good but!