2008 so far!

willatkinson

Hmmm i'm the opposite to be with you - i'm finding 2008 to be hard going so far - not much around on the 'bosh' side of things - it all seems to be Proggy Deadmau5 sounding stuff knocking around at the moment.

2007 and 2006 started slow though, and they ended up being the best Trance years since 1999/2000 - so i'm not too worried so far :D

question: can u still call me a bosh monkey anymore Tom? haha!

No, you're turning into a Prog fairy instead :P

Prog is for people that can't keep up with the pace of a 142bpm set, so they settle for listening to 135bpm stuff instead whilst sat at home in their slippers, smoking a pipe, reading the financial times.

No, you're turning into a Prog fairy instead :P

Prog is for people that can't keep up with the pace of a 142bpm set, so they settle for listening to 135bpm stuff instead whilst sat at home in their slippers, smoking a pipe, reading the financial times.

Progressive music just excites me more, I find it much more interesting now. The fact that during any set I can pretty much splice in whatever I like, i.e. tunes from differing genres & bpm, without it sounding the least bit out of place is why I like it.

I agree with Jules' view that playing 'bosh' type tunage there is only really a certain amount of time where it stays relevant, with the exception of PvD (a couple of years ago) no harder trance DJ plays longer than 2 hours, 3 a the absolute max. With prog you can play a 10 hour set & it'd still be interesting & danceable, I just find there's way more scope to get creative.

Plus I got bored of tech-trance in 2005 :P

Wasn't it Danny Tenaglia that held the record for the length of a set? Some stupid length like 16 hrs or something. I have a feeling that a lesser known DJ broke this although I may be wrong.

The thought of listening to one DJ for so long doesn't appeal to me. I'd much prefer 2hr sets from everyone. That way if your not so hot on their style or that individual performance then you can get away from it for a bit. Granted that on 'solo' nights your going especially to see that DJ but on a night containing lots of other DJ's of similar status, I think it's pretentious to have such a long set length.

Presumably a few 10+ minute tracks for pit stops ;)

He tracklisted the entire set somewhere, was about 20 pages long!

On the subject of long club sets I think that if the DJ playing a longer set is up to it then they're fantastic. Armin's 9hr sets have always been terrific in my experience & it ensures that the night has a flow to it. All too often promoters mess up with booking the wrong act in the wrong timeslot or you have each DJ playing similar tunes all night.

All too often promoters mess up with booking the wrong act in the wrong timeslot or you have each DJ playing similar tunes all night.

Gods are the worst for that! Gods have spoilt many a night for me by putting on a 142 bpm DJ on at midnight, and then a 136bpm DJ at 3am.

My best nights out have always been at Turnmills - and the reason being, they seem to be one of the very few clubs that put DJ's on in appropriate times.

Tech trance has a place, but only after an hour of prog, 4 hours of 'proper' trance, then an hour of tech trance at the very end of the night, when you're so blitzed, it could be anything being played and you'd be right up for it

I agree entirely. Tech-Trance has many critics (for some reason people seem to think its new, even though we've had it since 1999+), but for later in the night, its spot on!

I hate it when clubs put DJ's like Above & Beyond on at 4am, when by that time, the night shuld have got much faster and harder.