The FA Cup

Max Kane

I don't care in the slightest about the plight of Man Utd or Chelsea & I guess I'd be reasonably pleased with today's results usually, however, the fact that there have been so many upsets is getting to me as it means the fecking Albion have a perfect path to the final being seeemingly layed out in front of them. The fact that they have played no-one of note & could easily avoid a decent team all the way thru to the final (ala Milwall a few years ago) is grossly infuriating.

Come on Bristol Rovers!

Look on the bright side Tom - if the Albion get to the final, it'll be quite funny when they get humiliated 6-0 live in front of millions on the telly.

Tony Mowbray won't be smiling then! Oh silly me, he never smiles anyway does he......

Most miserable manager ever. Moody bastid!

Look on the bright side Tom - if the Albion get to the final, it'll be quite funny when they get humiliated 6-0 live in front of millions on the telly.

Tony Mowbray won't be smiling then! Oh silly me, he never smiles anyway does he......

Most miserable manager ever. Moody bastid!

None of the teams left in will beat the Albion 6-0, it's a sorry state of affairs that they're gona get a day out at Wembley & progress to the final, all without playing anyone of note (or even close)

Come on Bristol Rovers!

Oh dear :(

To be honest (and I'm saying this as a United :( fan) I think that this weekend has been a breath of fresh air to the FA cup. Thats what the FA cup is all about isn't it? Giant killers and all that.

I didn't see the United game as I was wakeboarding and as it wasn't on terrestrial, I didn't have access to Sky even if I wanted to watch it. It seems a tight game from reading the stats and reports but in knock-out football, the obvious favorite doesn't always come out on top. Personally I think it's a blessing in disguise as we can now concentrate on the Champions League and Permiership. It would have only been an extra two games if we had got to the final but as Pompey are the only Permiership team through, I'm not overly upset. I would like them to go on and win it now as I think they have a quality side and it'd be a good ending after Harry decided to turn down Newcastle to stay there.

As I say any other year I'd be elated that the results went as they were & that a team outside of the top 4 was in line to win the trophy, but I really really do loathe Albion & if they were to win it I'd be extraordinarily annoyed

The magic of the cup! If i hear it once more... OR is it that the larger teams are more interested in winning the league and champions league whist it is the biggest cup the smaller teams are ever likely to win?

A few rounds ago, I would have agreed - it seemed like some of the bigger teams weren't taking it seriously, however, this weekend, we've seen some solid lower division sides beating strong Premiership sides. Barnsley outplayed a fll strength Chelsea side - now that is the magic of the FA Cup.

Its good to see that West Brom are going to be mauled by Portsmouth anyway.

I'd like to see Portsmouth win because i've always liked Harry Redknapp - he's always been a suerb manager, but very under-rated.

I'd also like to see Cardiff win though. I hate the team, but I like Dave Jones. He's another superb manager and I didn't like the way Wolves sacked him. I thought he did a terrific job at Wolves under the circumstances (working with a pratt of a chief executive, turning a crap squad into a side which won promotion in very little time, and having to cope with fans which expect instant success). I was quite sad when he left.

I respect Jones a lot & maybe he did get a raw deal when he got sacked but having been at Forest away 2 games before he was sacked I have to say I had no problem with it at the time as it was probably one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us & all against ten men too.

He'll be remembered fondly by Wolves fans & rightly so but sometimes I feel people forget how bad it did get towards the end of his reign.

I respect Jones a lot & maybe he did get a raw deal when he got sacked but having been at Forest away 2 games before he was sacked I have to say I had no problem with it at the time as it was probably one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us & all against ten men too.

He'll be remembered fondly by Wolves fans & rightly so but sometimes I feel people forget how bad it did get towards the end of his reign.

People are all too quick to call for managers heads though as soon as something bad goes wrong. He took on a load of stale players, got most of them out the door, and brought in fresh bloody quickly and got us promoted. We put up a good fight in the Premiership at times with some good performances. Then we got relegated and, like most teams do whe they go down, we struggled to adjust to it again. He had a lot of injury problems when we went down - and just as players were coming back and things showed signs of improving again, they sacked him. Managers don't suddenly lose the plot in 6 months. They should have stuck with him for a few more months - especially if Glenn Hoddle was the best replacement they could find. Everton and Portsmouth have proven that if a manager struggles for a bit, then its worth hanging on to see if they can turn it around. They've both done that, and now those managers have gone on to build quality Premier league sides. Coventry City have sacked endless managers at the first sign of trouble - and they've now got their 8th manager in 7 years. It hasn't really achieved much - they're staring relegation in the face.

Things have turned out well in the end though because Mick McCarthy is a class manager. But Dave Jones was certainly a manager that I liked a lot at Wolves. I wasn't too arsed when Mark McGhee and Colin Lee left because I didn't think too much of them at all, but Dave Jones's sacking was a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm not one for calling for a managers head as soon as a bit of woodworm sets in.

The Premier League campaign was a joke, simple as. But that was due to Haywood's lack of ambition. Jones spent a massive amount of money, he wasted a lot of money prior to getting us promoted.

As I said he'll be remembered as a legend, but his time at the club was coming to an end when he got sacked & most people could see it. The league season had gone & even with Hoddle taking us on a run where we lost once in about 20 we didn't make the playoffs. Hoddle was a mistake of an appointment & everyone knew it straight away.

The Premier League campaign was a joke, simple as. But that was due to Haywood's lack of ambition. Jones spent a massive amount of money, he wasted a lot of money prior to getting us promoted.

With the players they had though, they did quite well considering. We were without Lescott, Murray and Ndah all season - we almost stayed up without them. I reckon we might just have stayed up if we'd have had Lescott and Murray. I never rated Oakes at all. I think your being a bit unfair to Haywood though. He ploughed millions in over the years with very little reward. I think he spent more than he wanted, and wasn't prepared to put any more in. It wasn't lack of ambition - he proved he had ambition. He just got sick of putting millions in, only to see the team struggle when it mattered most. I can't remember what Jones spent before we got promoted, it I don't recall it being a lot. A million here, and a million there perhaps - but he never spent £3m here and £4m there like other managers in that league do now. You don't get much for £3m these days.

Hoddle was a mistake of an appointment & everyone knew it straight away.

Too right! Worst appointment ever. I've never rated him as a manager. He did well at Swindon, but after that, he just seemed to be in the right place at the right time, and the bloke was a slate short of a roof anyway.

Jones spent masses of money, more than any manager we've ever had I think across his reign.

Haywood is a true Wolves legend & yes we owe him a massive amount but he did let us down once we won promotion & I don't think that can be disputed, he invested next to nothing & basically accepted relegation. I don't be-grudge him anything, it was his choice & he probably saw his job as being done but if he'd have given that little bit more then we'd have had a real chance of staying up & then the club wouldn't have gotten into the mess we were in prior to McCarthy's appointment

• 4 weeks later...