Labels you'd like to see go digital...

Neuro

Aside from my daily moaning about current labels who have gone digital but for some strange reason think it's fine to just ignore the older releases from their back catalogue, I thought I'd get people talking about old labels that are now defunct but which we'd like to see resurrected so that ALL their releases are available digitally.

Here's just a small selection of mine from the top of my head. What are yours?

Serious Records

Neo Records Ltd.

Manifesto / M-->Bargo

Incentive / IDJ

Closet Recordings

AM:PM

INCredible

I did ask Jules about what Serious was up to and he said this:

"Because Serious was a subsidiary of major label Universal Music, things are much slower to react on the legal download front - obviously Hooj, Xtravaganza etc were independents. It's been suggested, but they're being very slow."

I guess this is the case for Manifesto as well, and for INCredible who were a Sony offshoot, but what about the rest?

Are there any more people would like to see from days gone by?

Thoughts please!

Incentive is re-launching again soon, so watch out for their releases on digital. Coincidentally, Michael Woods is also returning from a 2 year break, and is starting to promote himself again - so it'll be interesting to see if the old Warrior stuff gets re-released. Perhaps we'll see 'If You Want Me' re-released, with the Paul Webster remix too ;)

I believe Michael Woods is using his own name this time around though, not aliases - and i'm sure I read he's switching to Electro :(

wasnt Incentive a Ministry offshoot?
It's actually an independent label as far as I know, having its own offshoots in IDJ and a couple of others.
Do Serious actually release stuff anymore?
No, they folded some years ago now. According to discogs.com it was launched by Jules's brother, Sam.

The point I'm getting at is, if dead labels have all that material, why don't they push to sell it as digital media? It's a wasted business opportunity in my opinion. Of course I'm also biased because I want them to take the step too :)

I'm not convinced it is, Briggsy! I think they've left a stagnant website there and they haven't released anything new for a good year as far as I know (I stand corrected though if you can find one! :)). Looks liked they are pretending IDJ never existed too :(

• 3 weeks later...

I now add ID&T as a label I'd like to see go digital too - some amazing things released over the years on there.

ID&T folded a few years ago but a new outfit called Be Yourself Music bought all the back catalogue. As official parent company, they are legally able to release all the material digitally but for some reason won't. Looking at discogs.com, they look a shabby outfit hastily put together, having accidentally released 3 items on the wrong label, each one with tracklisting errors.

Luckily they own High Contrast and In Charge, which are doing quite well.

Incentive was merged properly into ministry a few years back, Incentive now seem to exist as Art & Craft, Woods is still about as Out Of Office hence the remix o warrior jules played a few weeks ago.

I wish woods would go trance again.

Inferno was owned by telstar (who also owned Multiply) which went down the toilet a few years ago.

Its funny you say ID&T maybe you dont realize but they used to be probably THE biggest label in Europe at one stage but now they just say to organize dance events. They had some nice music on their label so it is sad.

I would like to seen Supadrive records have digital downloads too.