Jules Hot Topic

Justin Haze

Last Friday night Judge Jules set another hot-topic for his listeners to discuss. This time he asked, 'Which is the best city in the UK for clubbing'?

Obviously London has the most clubs, but does that make it the best?

Let us know which city you reckon is top and why and the best answers will be read out on the show this Friday night/Saturday morning (1-3am).

Thanks,

Producer Tom.

Discuss........

Edited by Justin Haze

I have been to Fabric in London twice with my friends from home and it was really great. Everybody was so alive and true, they weren't there for the image, but for the music and sensation.

However nothing would beat the Berlin Love Parade in the older days. Now there is something you all have missed out. ^_^

Living in the arm pit of Kent (Dover) doesnt give me alot of clubbing option but if i were to go out locally for a big night out id head for Canterbury, the city has a great vibe , theres two or three uni`s based in the city so theres plenty of fit birds about :thumbsup: Everyones up for having a good time and theres no hassle. Theres lots of cool bars playing decent dance music and a choice of 2 or 3 clubs one of the most popular being Chicagos which used to be amazing when i played there :redface: :lol: Nows its cheese all the way :thumbsdown:

This is a topic I have given some thought to before. We could sit and argue to toss that a specific city is better than the others but in reality this is a totally subjective matter directed mainly by the preferred musical style of the opinionator.

I have lived about a bit but have chosen to provide an opinion on Manchester. I'm not selecting this as my favourite though, as you'll see.....

Having lived in Manchester for most of my life I would say that this is quite a disappointing place for noctural bopping activities. It has had some good clubs over the years i.e. Golden @ Sankeys, Goodgreef @ Phillips Park Hall, Tangled @ The Phoenix (the Paradise Factory used to have quite a few good hard house events too) but the problem is that although Manc is famous for music, the clubs have never been consistent. There are loads of funky house bars as they suit the place and the sort of night people are after really well but never many trance nights.

As a young club fanatic I always found great frustration in it's lack of variety.

I have never been to London full stop, never mind to go to a club so I cannot comment on it's strengths. It's a huge place so it always has the physical capacity and potential customers.

I think Birmingham has always had a very strong scene with clubs such as Gods, Sundissential, Moneypennys (my minds gone blank to think of more) flying the flag for year after year.

I would have to say London, i've been a few times and absolutely love it. For me, it's all about Ministry and (what was) Turnmills. Turnmills were usually the first to most things and bringing in new DJ's. However, I did like Newcastle and Leeds. Leeds there is only a few good clubs however but we did manage to find a great pub in the city centre and stayed there for about 5 hours one time.

Living in Peterborough, where there are 2 clubs, and 4 bars i dont have much choice sometimes. These places are the pure meatmarket types and are horrible. My mates love them though. Usually we like Nottingham which is only 40 mins drive away. We were due to go Nottingham next saturday, i've paid for hotel and everything, only to have my public order patrol pushed forward (Peterborough Uniteds last home game next sat - they've been promoted so town will be busy) so now i cant go, and i've lost my money. The joys of Police planned operations!

I'd probably go with London as well. On the occasions when I've been down there both as a clubber & a DJ it's been top draw, excellent events, up for it & knowledgable crowds & a really friendly vibe. I really can't wait to play down in London again in a few weeks time ;)

I was really impressed with Leeds a couple of weeks ago too, but my trip to Blank/DS was my first visit & having been down to London so many times I can't justify putting it in top spot.

My most frequented city would be Birmingham, though realistically there are only a handful of venues & Godskitchen has dominated my local clubbing more than any other. Some of the nights I've had at Gods have been the best of my clubbing life & 2004 in particular I was there almost every week. Other than Gods though I haven't really had many 'amazing' nights out.

Edited by TomBailey

Newcastle I reckon is the best place in the UK club wise, this coming from a guy who lives in London and formally lived near Manchester. Newcastle has a very wide spectrum of music and great venues. The Geordies also know how to have a damn good time and aren't afraid to let ya know!

From past experience, most places can be as good as each other - but like anywhere else, it all depends on who the DJ's are and how good they're playing. If the DJ's are having a stormer, the atmosphere will be immense, if the DJ's are having a mare, then the mood of the crowd will reflect that too. Turnmills always did have that something special though - but they booked DJ's that nobody else would, and people travelled from all over the country dow to Turnmills - so they were always slightly more up for it after making a 200 mile journey.

Godskitchen (my local) used to have a superb atmosphere though - now it seems to be dull :(

I have to say that Turnmills has always impresses me with the eclectic line ups that they put on. Gods does always seem to me to have a bit of a lacklustre atmosphere.

It's the jocks that crack me up. Whats with all the "Here we f*****g go" business? Bit cringeworthy if you ask me. Not really my cup of tea <_< .

Whats with all the "Here we f*****g go" business? Bit cringeworthy if you ask me. Not really my cup of tea <_< .

I find it quite funny. It just gets the DJ's going. Its no different from when people chant 'Eddie, Eddie, Eddie' just as he's about to start his set.

If it gets the DJ's fired up, then i'm all for it. Some DJ's such as Adam Sheridan need it because they look like they don't want to be there half of the time.

As far as I know, the "'ere we, (x3) f***ing go!!" a purely Scottish thing. I've never been to the Arches in Glasgow and not heard it (or joined in). If you listen to old Jules sets from nearly a decade ago, it's exactly the same.

Maybe the Scottish contingency on here can elaborate....

I guess it's a Marmite topic then as I can't stand the whole "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" thing. -_-

same here! I find it cringeworthy. I dont mind the whistling or the random cheering/shouting during breakdowns in love broadcasts or whatever, but the chanting...not for me.

I dont mind the whistling

haha i'm the opposite there - I hate it when people whistle down my lugholes when i'm in a club. I can tolerate loud music and squeeling girls, but whistling goes right through me.

There are three things which should be banned from clubs:

1. Whistling

2. Japanese people

3. Sweaty topless blokes (Sweaty topless girls are allowed - fat trolls are excluded however :P )

haha i'm the opposite there - I hate it when people whistle down my lugholes when i'm in a club. I can tolerate loud music and squeeling girls, but whistling goes right through me.

There are three things which should be banned from clubs:

1. Whistling

2. Japanese people

3. Sweaty topless blokes (Sweaty topless girls are allowed - fat trolls are excluded however :P )

And the Mobile phone papparazi......... :blackeye: