Remixing old classics....

Briggsy

So, what are your views on remixing of classic tunes? It seem that the Cosmic Gate remix of Carte Blanche hasn't gone down too well, and Ayla - Ayla had mixed feedback too.

So, should classics be left well alone, or do you like to hear old tunes making a comeback?

Personally, I don't mind classics being remixed if they're good. They very rarely beat the originals - but that's a good thing in my opinion because it means the originals still retain their 'classic' status and still sound good 3 years after the new remix has been forgotten about again.

I quite like the Cosmic Gate remix of Carte Blanche, and I thought their remix of Fly Away was superb too. I thought that Richard Durand's remix of Lethal Industry was better than the original, plus it gave us a Tech-Trance remix, which we previously never had, so it gave us fans of the harder side something to play. Greg Downey's remix of Heaven Scent was also another nice alternative. However, i've hated every remix of Ayla, and i've never rated any of the 1001 remixes of Cafe Del Mar and Higher State Of Consciousness.

So, your thoughts on remixed classics?

It seems to be a thing that goes around every generation if you like. 10 years ago, there were house/trance records sampling/remixing early 90's rave tunes etc. Now it seem to be the trance golden era that's getting remixed/sampled.

On one hand, it's nice to play a classic, and a well remixed classic is well worth it. It can interest you in a record you never previously likes. I've posted here earlier about James Talk's excellent remix of X-Press 2's "Smoke Machine", a track i dont like in its original format, but this mix is ace.

I actually preferred the Cosmic Gate mix of "Fly Away" over the original - a rarity in that a remix betters the original. I like the Cosmic Gate mix of "Carte Blanche", i really do, but it simply cannot compete with the original. Richard Durand has made some great remixes too. His Audio Bullys bootleg is fantastic, as was his Fragma remix. I guess it may have something to do with who and how the remix is done. I'm not keen on the Ayla "Ayla" remixes at first either. I quite liked Danny Nightingales version at first. Then i went back and listened to the Taucher mix and realised how poor it was in comparison. Paul Webster missed a blinding opportunity to make that track his own.

Solar Stone's "7 Cities" is another one that seems to get continually remixed. The Original "Atlantis" mix was by far and away the best, although the Armin Van Buuren 2002 update was actually quite good.

However, on the other hand we see the effortless "Electro House" sandwiches. Tunes with generic electro house beats and bass filled with classic breakdown - see "Jump", "Sugar Daddy", "Push The Feeling On" etc. There was loads of them. It tends to run dry and get very boring and very predictable. And it's the lack of creativity of rehashing classics that vexes me. Also, how many more remixes of Energy 52 do we REALLY need? Everytime i hear a new remix i dont even bother with it. The Three'N One mix and Solar Stone mixes are the only ones that do it for me.

To conclude, i'd rather people make more tracks rather than rehash classics. If the classic is handled right then i have no problem, it's when there no thought or creativity gone into the remix thats the problem.

PS. Does anyone remember what happened to Jason Cortez' mix of Nalin & Kane "Beachball"? I really really want this. I messaged him on myspace and he said it was going to be released...still not. Anyone heard owt on this?

It's fine for new remixes to be done of classics but why not pick stuff other than the usual ones which already have 10 billion remixes already.

I'm all for cosmic gate remixing carte blanche weather I like their remix or not, its all good.

But leave Cafe Del Mar alone now is what I'm saying.

It seems to be a thing that goes around every generation if you like. 10 years ago, there were house/trance records sampling/remixing early 90's rave tunes etc. Now it seem to be the trance golden era that's getting remixed/sampled.

I think this is very true sir. I got into dance in late 80s, although I didn't fully experience the outdoor raves and stuff in 1989 like my (dance-orientated) friends, I have followed the electronic and House scene for a very long time, dabbled in a bit of everything, Techno, House obviously, even Synth-Pop with the Pet Shop Boys in the early 90s, and first got interested in Trance around 1995 up until when it's bubble exploded at the end of 1999. By that time I had moved away from my friends' interests because for them, the scene and music in 1999 was "not the same as it used be" - referring back to 1989 and the rest which they experienced.

Exactly the same thing is happening ten years later; you have the new breed of Techy and Electroey stuff, which I can only handle a small amount of before I get bored. Give it another 8-10 years and you guys will be saying the same thing, that the music in 2018 is "not the same as it used to be" - referring back to now and all the great music that you're experiencing now.

As for classics, I do feel they are currently being musically raped by artists in order to cash in on the popularity they had in 1998-9. They are two different eras and two different types of music desperately trying to be fused together. But, forever it seems we have been rehashing 80s classics too: look at Rob Searle's Blue Monday, Dee Magic's Koochee Blue, Jark Prongo also went through some bizarre 80s phase and of course Ferry Corsten has shifted dramatically this decade, which reminds me so much of that delicious edgey sound in the 1980s.

Quite simply, I'm too old and too attached to the past now to forget all the tunes I experienced when I was younger and embrace the stuff today like I could do in the past. I'm not sure why. Too many memories. Every one of us at some point will say: "It's just not the same as it used to be", it's just I'm saying it now, whereas some other younger folk on here will say it years down the road. I'm now exploring other House-related routes such as Latin and Samba at the moment but I think Jason's poll (here) with regard to Cafe Del Mar shows that really it's going to be impossible to shift the view of those who remember and loved the past.

For the record, if I could I would take copies of the Cosmic Gate remixes of VDM - Fly Away and Veracocha - Carte Blanche, on two CDs, place them atop a rock in some scrubland in Wales, and dash them to a thousand pieces with a mace. Don't be alarmed though - I assure you my friends of the second Summer of Love would have liked to have done the same with my Trance vinyls 10 years ago. :mrgreen:

mace_paulchen2.jpg

This 20" mace was designed by Paul Chen and is for sale at $109.95, if anyone is interested

Edited by Quadrant

Why Wales, Quadrant? ;)

I think some remixes are just carried out to give them more commercial awareness. Cosmic Gate came and went after their No More Sleep EP, which I bought and had some very good tracks on there. Fire Wire just got them recognised by most and then they remixed Freefall too didn't they? This was after they had not released anything for a while...

My vote is probably to leave classics alone - that is why they are classics and should never be messed with...

Well I don't really think much at all to the Cosmic Gate remix of 'Carte Blanche' but I did really like their remix of 'Fly Away'. Surely as a production outfit they are wasting their talents by remixing old tracks. I rate them as one of the most consistent producers of recent times. Even if their tracks aren't absolutely blinding, you can guarantee that they'll get a hammering by me.

I also preferred Durands remix of Lethal Industry to the original, Svenson & Gielen or Picotto remix. His remix of 'Flight 643' wasn't even close to the Oliver Lieb remix but I do still like it.

By remixing a classic your lining yourself up for one of two routes:

Hero :ninja: or zero :oddcake: .

Can't think of many remixed classics that neither here nor there.

Why Wales, Quadrant? ;)

Wales I purely chose because it has fantastic open and mountainous countryside where people are unlikely to find the pieces of CD that would have been scattered by the mace upon impact. ;)

Wales I purely chose because it has fantastic open and mountainous countryside where people are unlikely to find the pieces of CD that would have been scattered by the mace upon impact. ;)

:lol:B) :thumbsup:

Surely as a production outfit they are wasting their talents by remixing old tracks.

There's only so many new tracks you can do though before ideas run out in my opinion, so remixes are a good way of keeping artists busy until some new ideas are thought of.

There are so many artists around at the moment that are churning out the same sound over and over again (ie, Deadmoo5e) - and I feel they need to go away for a while to refresh. Cosmic Gate are one of my favourite artists - but they have always suffered from patches where they've released mediocre tunes, then gone away, and come back sounding awesome again. I think remixing keeps their productions skills up to scratch whilst they think of some new productions.

Speaking of Deadmau5 sounding tunes... and also remixing classics... this brings me nicely onto the new remixes going around on Beatport of Delerium's "Silence"... Atrocious. Niels Van Gogh vs. Thomas Gold is the usual Deadmau5, slowed down, Inpetto eat your heart out track, whilst the Funkagenda remix I came across on Rapidshare is laughable... and I really like some of Funkagenda's stuff.

Exatcly, I we all wonder how the hell people like these new versions, they are selling well on beatport! hell Ima gonna get a couple of cheapo casio keyboards and recreate stuff and probably make em sound better than the tripe Ive heard! well in the case of Jaguar and Man With TheRedFace, I don'tunderstand why so many people are w***ing over these new versions total tripe. Just dig out the original set ofmixes and play them instead!

But that's half the battle, sir JCB... people don't remember the old versions! Those people who do have all got families and jobs and have disappeared off the face of the planet. Except for some of us on here of course :D

I need to find those new mixes of Lauren Garnier and Delerium now and actually listen to them now before I slate it off... one sec!

Edited by Quadrant

People dont remember the old versions? wtf?!! I can understand teenageres younger than 20 but people in their mid 20's onwards like me n such how the hell cant you remember Silence MWTRFace, Jaguar etc!

I'm done with this discussion.

Remixing old classics is always gona happen, it's a relatively easy way to boost one's profile & to make a bit of cash. The whole deal with Vincet de Moor's works being remixed is down the man himself & the entire More Moor label that he's put together to release his old tracks, he's not really been successful of late so why not re-license his old works with hip new remixers & make some money?

At least that seems to be the thinking.

The remixes of 'Silence' are pretty awful, the production on them is nice & for me personally the whole Deadmau5 sound is still appealing, but in moderation. The problem with the new mixes of 'Silence' is that they have no real connection within them, it's just a nicely done backing track with the famous vocal over the top, it contains no emotion & no real sense of cohesion.

As for Deadmau5 himself I think Joel's been producing some exceptional stuff of late having slightly lost his way for a few months. The new track with kaskade he's done is magic & I feel the whole point of his sound being samey is to do with the fact that it gets played a lot by a plethora of different DJs in different genres & also because there are countless producers ripping his sound off. In Petto (aka Duderstadt) re-visited that alias it seems simply to rip off the Deadmau5 sound & 'cash in'. Their Duderstadt work is completely different & maybe they didn't want to compromise that alias.

Other producers such as Mango, Quivver, Schossow (under Deadrat6) & countless others have used the Deadmau5 ideas for their own commercial gains & the sound has become saturated.

The problem with the new mixes of 'Silence' is that they have no real connection within them, it's just a nicely done backing track with the famous vocal over the top, it contains no emotion & no real sense of cohesion.

I think you're very right, sir! In fact, all of your post I agree with. The sound has definitely become saturated.

People dont remember the old versions? wtf?!! I can understand teenageres younger than 20 but people in their mid 20's onwards like me n such how the hell cant you remember Silence MWTRFace, Jaguar etc!

I'm done with this discussion.

Sorry sir, I was indeed referring to the younglings who don't remember (not their fault) who would have been about 8 in the pre-millenium golden era, not us. Please accept a small gold token.

item_645.png

As for Deadmau5 himself I think Joel's been producing some exceptional stuff of late having slightly lost his way for a few months. The new track with kaskade he's done is magic & I feel the whole point of his sound being samey is to do with the fact that it gets played a lot by a plethora of different DJs in different genres & also because there are countless producers ripping his sound off. In Petto (aka Duderstadt) re-visited that alias it seems simply to rip off the Deadmau5 sound & 'cash in'. Their Duderstadt work is completely different & maybe they didn't want to compromise that alias.

Other producers such as Mango, Quivver, Schossow (under Deadrat6) & countless others have used the Deadmau5 ideas for their own commercial gains & the sound has become saturated.

Thats always the problem when a producer comes up with a fresh new sound. Everybody else rips it off. I mean, the very fact people thought Deadmau5 remixed the Fragma track just goes to show the similarities.

But the Delerium mixes are crap. Why bother?

But, i quite like "Hi Friend"...

I think you're very right, sir! In fact, all of your post I agree with. The sound has definitely become saturated.

Sorry sir, I was indeed referring to the younglings who don't remember (not their fault) who would have been about 8 in the pre-millenium golden era, not us. Please accept a small gold token.

item_645.png

Yeah I thought that was what you were getting at, simply sod the young un's if they like dancemusic so much they shouldresearch the classics and seek out older stuff, I know I did! instead of of just sticking with the caiso keybaord recerations!

Heatbeat Mix of Supermode works as the Data release never had a version of this sort, their loss the way i see it!

Thats always the problem when a producer comes up with a fresh new sound. Everybody else rips it off. I mean, the very fact people thought Deadmau5 remixed the Fragma track just goes to show the similarities.

But the Delerium mixes are crap. Why bother?

It's not Joel's fault that people are seeking to rip him off though is it? Plus he has done a lot of other work which goes un-noticed. He's been elevated from a young 'up & comer' to a guy who is playlisted by Djs the world over, in every genre & has seen his reputation sky rocket, why should he abandon the sound he pioneered just because others are making it overkill?

The Delerium remixes are awful yes, but if they had a different vocal on there or re-jigged it into a new track they wouldn't be so bad, I merely stated that the production on there is excellent.

does anyone feel that Adam K & Soha have ripped off the deadmau5 sound?

Kind of - although unlike In Petto, they've not done a direct copy. Adam K and Soha have taken a Deadmau5-sounding bassline, but added Trancier elements. Personally, I feel that Adam K and Soha are directing their sound more towards a Trance audience, whereas Deadmau5 was catering for a House audience, but Trance DJ's have picked up on it too.

does anyone feel that Adam K & Soha have ripped off the deadmau5 sound?

I agree with Briggsy on this, Adam's work is similar but different, tracks like 'Long Distance' have much more drive in them than Deadmau5 stuff. Adam has also done a lot of housey stuff which hardly ever gets noticed