iPod help

bigsteve

We're probs going on holiday for about 5-6 weeks this summer and its about time I bought an iPod. But how big a memory should I go for? Instinct is telling me 20GB, as I don't want to be half way round the world wanting to listen to a track that I couldn't fit on. On the other hand, I don't want to spend all of June filling it with music and then hear only a fraction of it back. I guess I'll be using it most days on the beach and probs in the hotel with some speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus places to buy. Ebay seems reasonable - probs get one for about £160

Don't buy a 40GB, you'll never fill it, honestly!

For maths purposes, this is what my iTunes stats looks like:

An 8 minute track @ 192kbps is 11MB

A CD at the same rate is about 105MB

Best work out roughly the amount of tunage you'll take with you first - think how much music you can fit on 5GB and it's quite a lot (and it's cheaper).

If you're gonna put absolutely everything you own on there, buy a 20GB one, but if you just want a few tunes for the car or holiday, even the smallest one is best (think it's 5GB - that's still a lot of room:)

You'll need a quick PC (*must* be Windows XP) with a big hard drive to archive your actual music if you want to go all digital (you're gonna need it for iTunes too which acts as both a library and the means to transfer the tunes u want onto your iPod obviously), and then maybe a 5GB mini iPod for the holiday would suffice... I have a 20GB but I'm nowhere near even close to filling it.

What do others think?

Cheers, Tim. Might save some pennies and go for a 4GB then - they're around £130. Haven't got much saved on here, so it will take time to transfer what I want to. Problem is tho, Claire will want some of her (non-dance) stuff putting on. I'll probs only use it for holidays anyway. I've got Windows XP, so thats OK. Anyone's elses views :?:

Archived